Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Build Stuff: Custom Plug & Lure Building, Rod Building » Plug Building - Got Wood?

Plug Building - Got Wood? Got Plug?

Old 01-01-2010, 10:50 AM   #1
BILLC

Question Air Brush Question

Planning on doing my air brushing in the house. I have a cave in my finished basement that I do my tying and plug assemblying now. The wife got me an air brush for Xmas and I am trying to get set up for doing it in the cave. I am currently looking for a compressor that is quiet. I have a 100gallon in the garage but it's a long way to run a line and then worry about water issues. I have been looking at the models available online and was just curious as to the pros and cons of what the guys that are doing it in the house have to say.

Bill
BILLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 10:52 AM   #2
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

Send a message via AIM to BigFish
I use a Porter Cable pancake! Leave it in the bulkhead to reduce noise!

Almost time to get our fish on!!!
BigFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 11:59 AM   #3
Slipknot
Super Moderator

Bill, the noisy ones are the oil less ones, get one that has oil and use the seperator. Plenty of reasonable ones out there from 12 gallon down to an Emglo portable.

Be sure the temp. is atleast 70 degrees down there for spraying or you may have troubles with the paint being too thick because below 70, even thinners won't help. Atleast that has been what I have found.
Slipknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 01:04 PM   #4
BILLC

Thanks guys, being quiet is important to me. The room is right under my bedroom and I tend to do a lot of work in there when everyone else is in bed.

Slip, thanks for the heads up on the temps. Summer will probably more of an issue since there is a heat vent in the room. It can get quite damp in the summer down there.

Bill
Old 01-01-2010, 01:35 PM   #5
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

Personally I would get a compressor that has at least a 15 gallon tank. You crank it up once and shut it off. You can do a lot of painting with a tank full. I usually only need to power it up once per session. A pancake will come on a lot more often and thus more noise. I'd go with an oil one too.

"A beach is a place where a man can feel he's the only soul in the world that's real"
ProfessorM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 01:47 PM   #6
Slipknot
Super Moderator

Good point Paul
If people are sleeping and you're under bedrooms, then maybe some kind of sound proof insulated box can be built around it , I think rockfish did that.
Slipknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 04:41 PM   #7
BILLC

Thanks Paul, you kinda answered something else I was wondering. I have a 5gallon pig and was wondering how much use I could get out of it before it would need to be refilled. I was talkin with a couple fellow builders and they said cleaning your brush between colors and such will use most of your air. Thanks again for the help!