Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Grumpy Old Pharts Board

Grumpy Old Pharts Board Gerritol, Ex-Lax, Immodium, Bad Breath - all requirements for the Grumpy Board

Old 08-06-2007, 02:13 PM   #1
BW from AZ

tire companys

Two weeks ago take the wifes car in for two new tires. resist 4 new tire push, move rears to front new on back. life is GOOD.
7 days later both fronts are noticeably low (the old tires). pumpem up to 34 psi and life is OK.
7 more days and they are noticeably low again. go to different store same company they say they cant fix them.
Life starting to suck! too old he says. the car is a 2002 and they were originals but still no where near the wear bars. they showed signs of age with tiny hair line cracks on the side wall and outside tread edge. inside tire, beads even the side wall on the ball joint side looked great. 14 days ago they were good enough to go on the front. what gives?
Did i mention the small nail dead center of the tread, perfectly straight in, just enough to poke the point through tire. i challenge anyone to drop a 5/8 long brad on the road from any height and have it stand up right!!! any trucker knows if its laying in the road the front tires bounce it up and the rear tires pick it up. with luck like this maybe i should play the loto
34 year "Discount Tire" customer and family looking for new place to buy tires.
venting over crusade not.
BW from AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 04:16 PM   #2
basswipe

Unfortunately for you a very small 5/8 brad did go straight in.Drive around on tires s-l-o-w-l-y loosing pressure and all the bad things you mentioned(especially side wall cracking) will happen.Can't blame the tire manufacturer...even the best tire will eventually fail with a slow leak.

As far as a great place to buy tires...BJs.Can't go wrong.
basswipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 05:36 PM   #3
Raven

i 2nd

bj.s for best price
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 10:34 AM   #4
gf2020

You're complaining about replacing 5 year old tires?
gf2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 11:18 AM   #5
Raven

Talking you don't get it

In Arid zone ah its all about survival !!!
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 11:35 AM   #6
Swimmer
Retired Surfer

BJ's for tires

The guy who works on my vehicle, sells tires, and is one of the premier wrenches in this part of the universe told me to go to BJ's to buy tires, because he says they sell and mount them cheaper than he can buy them. Just bought four new all weather michelins, with a $60.00 rebate for $580.00, for my truck.

Swimmer a.k.a. YO YO MA
Serial Mailbox Killer/Seal Fisherman
Swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 06:48 PM   #7
Karl F

Time/Tire Life

Tires have a code that tell you when they were manufactured.
How old are the tires on your vehicle? The date of manufacture is indicated by the last group of digits in the DOT manufacture code on the sidewall of the tire. The number is often stamped in a recessed rectangle. The DOT code tells who manufactured the tire, where it was made and when. The last group of digits in the code is the date code that tells when the tire was made.

Before 2000, the date code had three digits. Since 2000, it has had four. The first two digits are the week of the year (01 = the first week of January). The third digit (for tires made before 2000) is the year (1 = 1991). For most tires made after 2000, the third and fourth digits are the year (04 = 2004).

The date of manufacture is essential information for car owners and tire buyers because tires deteriorate even if they are not used. European automobile manufacturers recommend replacing ANY tire that is more than six (6) years old, including the spare tire. No such recommendations have yet been made by domestic vehicle manufacturers.

You should keep in mind that some tires are on the shelf as long as two years!

Last winter I remember reading that the RMV in MA was considering changing the rules for vehicle inspection, to not only check tire tread, and the date of manufacture. I seem to remember 5 years was being suggested, as an expiration date.

Worn tread or not, any weather cracking, (Heat is a factor... gets pretty hot in AZ, I bet), on the sidewall is a serious issue. Major cause of blow outs, at highway speed.

5 years seems reasonable to me, I would have approximately 50-60K on them, by that time, and they'd be shot by then anyhow.

Shop around, not only for price, but, how they take care of you After the Sale.
Karl F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 07:13 PM   #8
Slipknot
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl F View Post

5 years seems reasonable to me, I would have approximately 50-60K on them, by that time, and they'd be shot by then anyhow.

78,000 in 4 years on my Bridgestones on my Silverado right now Karl
time for a new set though real soon

The United States Constitution does not exist to grant you rights; those rights are inherent within you. Rather it exists to frame a limited government so that those natural rights can be exercised freely.

1984 was a warning, not a guidebook!

It's time more people spoke up with the truth. Every time we let a leftist lie go uncorrected, the commies get stronger.
Slipknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 06:11 PM   #9
labrax

TireRack.com - just bought two tires for my wife's car. The tires are Kumho tires from Korea - the reviews on the tires were very favorable (just slightly below the Pirelli's and above the Bridgestone and the Goodyear tires in same class), with a lot of reviews from people who actually drove a lot of miles on the tire. Cost me $10 per tire for shipping - so the tires were $49 + $10 shipping and they have recommended people in your area (based on zip code) that do the install. I had NTB tire install 2 tires with mounting and balancing and disposal of old tire for $11.99 per tire - had them switch the tires to the fronts and put the fronts on the rear for $23.98 total. Not bad - and better than BJ's. I used to go to BJ's, but not anymore.
labrax is offline   Reply With Quote