Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » The Scuppers

The Scuppers This is a new forum for the not necessarily fishing related topics...

Old 06-28-2007, 07:07 AM   #1
Raven

Question question for law officers

if a citizen witnesses a crime
and then does not report it

isn't that a crime in itself?
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 11:09 AM   #2
Mike P
Jiggin' Leper Lawyer

No, unless they're a mandated reporter, like a teacher or health care worker who sees signs of child abuse.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools, because they have to say something.
Mike P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 11:12 AM   #3
Gunpowder
Fish Hound

Send a message via ICQ to Gunpowder Send a message via AIM to Gunpowder
a little off the pass of law enforcement, if u have cpr of first aid and see someone in need and just walk by, and they find out that u witnessed the event and had these certifications, expect a lawsuit.....

"There are many things in life that will catch your eye, but only a few will catch your heart.....pursue those."
Gunpowder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 02:48 PM   #4
Uncle Matt

Are you talking about on duty Gunpowder or off duty? What about jurisdictional issues? What about regional medical protocols? Does the same hold true for Doctors, nurses, or anyone else for example ski patrol who are not currently at work or getting paid but are trained nonetheless?

"Love is like a snowmobile racing across the tundra then suddenly it flips over, pinning you underneath. At night, the ice weasels come."
Matt Groening, Life In Hell
Uncle Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 03:26 PM   #5
Smokey14
licensed to kill

Send a message via AIM to Smokey14
Mike P is right on the money about that. child abuse and elderly abuse are the only situation were mandated reporters are obligated by law to report to police.

GP is only part right. You may expect a lawsuit but unless your a doctor or an on call, practicing and medically trained first responder there is no law requiring you to stop and render assistance.
What that means is if I, an on call EMT/fire fighter were to come across a motor vehicle accident in the town in witch I work I have a legal obligation to help. however if that MVA is on the highway, let's say on the way to the cape, I could " legally" drive right by. it's called the first responders act and it also protects me if I Do decide to render assistance and some one tries to sue me. The reason for this bill is to encourage properly trained first responders to help w/o the need for liability concerns.(That's why I always stop )

sorry for my long winded legal speech. your question Raven was "if a citizen witnesses a crime and then does not report it isn't that a crime in itself?"
The answer is supposed to be a bit vague and a lawyer may interpret the law differently. No it's not a crime to keep it to your self unless during the investigation of said crime an officer of the law asks you a direct question about the crime and you lie. That's called perjury. And yes, not answering the question is the same as lying if you know the answer to the question.
I'm not a cop or a lawyer so take what I say for what it's worth then do what you think is right.

If I offend you please call 1-800- 328-7448
Smokey14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 03:30 PM   #6
stripersnipr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven View Post
if a citizen witnesses a crime
and then does not report it

isn't that a crime in itself?
Okay Raven, fess up. What kind of heinous act did you witness and fail to report?
stripersnipr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 05:01 PM   #7
Raven

none thus far

i was speaking in regards to the other thread:
" this makes me so mad..."

if you are on the beach and you witness "people" (i'll be polite) taking undersized fish illegally....
beyond your moral obligation is unlawful to
just turn a blind eye and keep on walking or was it your civic
duty or legal responsibilty to call the appropriate authorities
....was what i wanted to know.

sorry!.. i didnt clarify the reason for my question earlier...
but i thought the law had a broader scope that would cover any illegal activity.
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote