Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Grumpy Old Pharts Board

Grumpy Old Pharts Board Gerritol, Ex-Lax, Immodium, Bad Breath - all requirements for the Grumpy Board

Old 01-27-2007, 12:25 AM   #1
Slinger

Boaters World Beef

Time to find a new marine supply store! Went into Boaters World in Seekonk yesterday and spent a 1/2 hr. looking around for a fishfinder or even a information sheet. With only 2 people in the store and 5 clerks standing around you would think you could get some help, not so. They had a meager display that only had 3 FF and 1 didn`t work! After getting ready to walk out I commented on the scarcity of choices, I must have interupted them in the middle of solving the mid east crisis, because I was told " If you don`t like it why don`t you go to West Marine"!!!
Figuring I`d give it one more try I went to the Warwick store today. Same scenario, 2 customers in the store only this time there were more salespeople. They did have more on display, but again, none seemed willing to tear themselves away from they`re engrossing conversation. When I finally did get someone to ask if I needed something I said I wanted to get a Garmin 340C FF. She said " we don`t have any" and promptly walked away. When I followed her to the checkout to ask about an antenna for the boat she said " We keep them in the back room cause people keep playing with them" and took off again! Thier service isn`t worth a P hole in the snow! I went in there ready to drop some serious coin and they couldn`t even be bothered to help me!
Here`s one more bitch. Last season I was given a brand new GPS but it needed a map chip. BW wanted $150 for the chip, when I told them I could get it for $115 they just about called me a liar and said that Garmin dosn`t discount any of it`s products. I promptly went home and ordered it on line for $115 and recieved a really nice T-shirt with it. Funny the place that I got it from and Garmin USA have the exact same address, Olath KS must be the electronics capitol of the country! If I could have gotten someone to take care of me they probably would have told me that I couldn`t beat they`re price of $499.99. In 5 min. on the net I found it for $414, free shipping and no tax! BW can kiss my ass!
Slinger
Slinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 06:10 AM   #2
Raven

Thumbs down

well gee....

how hard would it be too sneak over there right after a snow storm and pee you suck .....in the snow...

thanks slinger... for the heads up
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 10:37 AM   #3
thortum

That's a sad tale. Don't know which I hate more - being ignored or being hounded? I definitly would have let the clerk with the smart mouth know what I thought about him. Hate smart asses! You did right,shop elsewhere.
thortum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 10:43 AM   #4
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

Send a message via AIM to BigFish
Customer service is at an all time low!

Almost time to get our fish on!!!
BigFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 12:16 PM   #5
Swimmer
Retired Surfer

Good for you Slinger.

Swimmer a.k.a. YO YO MA
Serial Mailbox Killer/Seal Fisherman
Swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 05:47 PM   #6
labrax

I think a letter, or an email to the regional manager might do some good - heck, just cut and paste this post and send it off to them. A small amount of digging online would probably get you his/her name.
labrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 10:56 AM   #7
BassyiusMaximus

Here is my BW story.

This past summer I wanted to order a bit over $1,000 in stuff, big buy was a FF/GPS for $650. I ordered online. Given confirmation email and everything, then a day later, credit card company calls to make sure I wanted this stuff, I say yes, BW calls/emails to tell me there are problems with my card, I cancel the whole thing and order again, same problem.

I call customer service and get Middle Eastern accents and they say they cannot help, I call a local store and they tell me that the online service is plagued and they can't help, best thing to do is order from the store. No help whatsoever from anyone.

I am actually so happy that my order didn't go through as they saved me $1,000+ since I really didn't need all the stuff I wanted anyway.

I did order a bunch of things last spring and it was a headache too as so many things were backordered I wondered why they even have a catalog when most of the things I wanted weren't for sale anyway?, I'm so sick of them that I won't shop there anymore, saving a few dollars isn't worth it at all. Unless they have it in stock in a store I will not bother.
BassyiusMaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 11:10 AM   #8
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

IMO - Boaters World is better than West Marine - certainly with pricing. But for electronics I would go and find something cheaper online OR I would find something cheaper from a local marine elec vendor. The place over near Port Edgewood (forget the name) recommended by Clammer has really good pricing AND they are a local biz...

More competitive and better price than the big box marine stores. I only go in there when I need to...

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming:
JohnR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 11:12 AM   #9
Goose

Last year I was short changed by 20$ at BW, I had to wait till the store closed to get the my money back...alittle aggrivating partly my fault. They don't have a big electronics section but they make up for it in other stuff, I found some of their trailer parts 'much lower' then Boat US's, they also have inflatable PFD's at affordable prices Boat US does not,not to mention all the other goodies they carry. You realy should use both but ask the questions at Boat US.

John I beleive boat US and West Marine are now one...Boat US
Goose is offline   Reply With Quote