Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Build Stuff: Custom Plug & Lure Building, Rod Building » Rod Building

Rod Building So, you've landed a nice fish on a plug you made, eh? Now, the next step, building your own RODS!

Old 01-20-2005, 01:01 PM   #1
Iwannakeeper
fishing the pacific

Send a message via AIM to Iwannakeeper
Lightbulb matching a reel to a rod -advice wanted

I am building a Batson 1088 in Conventional this winter. I just got started. I am trying to decide what reel to put on this rod and I figure there is no better place to ask for advice.

I currently have
a couple of Squidders
a couple of Abu6500
a abu7000

and I am also looking into a few other reels, such as
the AVETSX5.1
maybe a Newell.
penn 965
shimano torium

but I am also considering some higher end reels like
The Saltiga SA-30 or 30T
Calcutta

Basically I am all over the place. I just started tossing conventional last year, when I started to jig the ditch. but it has carried over to my surf casting as well. This is going to be a medium duty all around rod. I fish mostly beach, not a lot of rock hopping. I haven't moved up to the monster wood yet.

I plan to use my spinning gear for real light work. But I do expect to toss everything from a shad-teaser rig, to eels, to mambos, to pencils, basically everything in my tackle bags.

thanks for any suggestions. If anyone knows the perfect reel for a 1088, please let me know.

-IWK

Keep lines wet and tight in the pacific
Iwannakeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2005, 01:07 PM   #2
spence

I've really only owned Calcutta and the Abu...but the Calcutta is pretty sweet as long as you don't dunk it.

-spence
spence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2005, 01:09 PM   #3
Mike P
Jiggin' Leper Lawyer

Mid-sized baitcaster/conventionals are probably the best fit. Calcutta 400, Abu 6500 (many versions to choose from), Penn 965 in level wind models. The Newell 220 or the Penn 525 Mag would be a nice fit if you want a non-levelwind reel.

I have a Sabre 1088--virtually identical to the Rainshadow--and it sports a Calcutta 400 most of the time
Mike P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2005, 01:28 PM   #4
Iwannakeeper
fishing the pacific

I love the idea of the calcutta....and I am not some one who gets his reels underwater too often. But the non-dunk-ability of the calcutta's scare me. I do not need a sealed reel, by any stretch, but when that reel gets pounded by waves for awhile, I do not want a failure, when I finally get a trophy on.

-IWk

Old 01-20-2005, 02:05 PM   #5
spence

Dunkability is certianly relative. There are plenty of people who fish with them in the suds...

-spence
spence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2005, 02:16 PM   #6
tlapinski
All up in the Interweb!

imo, abu 6500's are too small for any real surfcasting if you need a solid drag. you can add smoothies and ht-100's, but they still suck eventually. i sold all my small abus off except for my original rocket. anyway, i think in that size range, a non-mag penn 525 or a magged avet are your best choices. i had a calcutta for a while, but just didn't like it. too hard to control. dunkability, , only in the avet. waterproof bearings and a drag that is not affected by submersion. you will want to drop a couple mags in it though. they spin FOREVER without mags and can be very hard to control. mine is magged and needs little if any thumbing. it may be a little strange getting used to the lever drag, though. that is the one thing i still have trouble with.

Co-Host of The Surfcast Podcast

"Out there in the surf is where it's at, that's where the line gets drawn in the sand between those who talk fishing and those who live it."
- a wise man.

One good fish, a sharpie does not make...

Certified rock hopping billy goat.
tlapinski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005, 12:06 PM   #7
Iwannakeeper
fishing the pacific

TLAP....

I decided on going Avet for starters, and depending on how it works out, I might pick up the 525 non-mag version.

One question with the Avet, what line do you recommend? I plan to try both mono and braid. But with all of your experience, I would like a recomendation as a starting point.

Until i learn the reel, I am probably throwing mono, to make picking out backlash easier. But eventually going to braid for the additional line capacity.

Are you going to the MSBA meeting tomorrow? Would love to meet you if you are.

thanks
-IWk

Old 01-25-2005, 01:09 PM   #8
tlapinski
All up in the Interweb!

I had 50# spiderwire stealth on mine this year. i mostly used it for jigging, so i use braid in that application. i'll be doing more plugging with it this season, so i threw 25# yo-zuri hybrid on it. as a test, i spooled directly from a 6500 abu on to the avet with the 25#. it looks like i can get another 75 - 100 yards more line on the avet. i am going to give the 35# spectron a shot this year on the 525gs. i know of one 50+ that set up landed this past season.

are you on eBay? there is a guy selling the SX's that will mag it for you if you are uncomfortable doing it yourself. might be worth looking into as the avet is super fast right out of the box.

no MSBA meeting for me. not a member, and i live out west.

Co-Host of The Surfcast Podcast

"Out there in the surf is where it's at, that's where the line gets drawn in the sand between those who talk fishing and those who live it."
- a wise man.

One good fish, a sharpie does not make...

Certified rock hopping billy goat.
tlapinski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2005, 11:17 AM   #9
striperondafly
The Black Dog - Emma

Send a message via AIM to striperondafly
Good choice going with the Avet - I love mine!!!!!
striperondafly is offline   Reply With Quote