Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Build Stuff: Custom Plug & Lure Building, Rod Building » Rod Building

Rod Building So, you've landed a nice fish on a plug you made, eh? Now, the next step, building your own RODS!

Old 02-25-2004, 04:05 PM   #1
Bawana

sprial wrap guide placement and sizes

Other than fishaddict no one has opions on where to place guides for sprial wrap on long surf rods???? Interested in hearing what blanks used-- how far from center of USED portion of reel seat the first guide was placed--what sizes were used for transition--and what sizes were used for the rest of rod. I set up a 1362F with 12 inches cut off but as I have found rods over this are harder to cast in a lot of places on Canal.I had done wrap on butt of this rod and had no specific purpose for it so decided to try sprial instead of just setting up another staight conventional rod. Used a calcutta 700 for reel size.When setting it up I put size 25 on as first guide 29.5 inches set up right side of insert to center of blank and then went out where rod action would be most and put 16 on in 180.Ran an old tip section from point A to B and discovered that the best rolling straight line was achieved with 2 sized 12 guides.I tried a lot of guide styles for height differences and the gnlgs seemed to be plenty high enough and the line seems to clear the blank with out hitting anywhere using just two size 12 between.With tip section in I could see where the guides would fit and this size was all that was needed for about 3/8 clearence to blank.I am going to have to find protracter to measure position on blankThe way it looks takes a little getting used to but it also ment there wasn*t a lot of larger guides hanging off one side of rod.After the first 16 in the 180 I used 2 more 16*s and two more sized 12*s for a total of 8 guides. When doing the transition section it seemed bigger size guides were creating angles guide to guide that would cause a lot of unnessessary friction and slow down the cast.Anyone else done this and found something that works better or even done and found something that doesnt cast.
Bawana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2004, 11:19 AM   #2
Bawana

This seems to have worked pretty good as far as not slowing the line down on a cast. Feels a little more like holding a spinning rod when retriving.was using with the Shimano 700 which is the level line model and there was no piling of line on the sides of spool.Was just tossing with 5 oz weight but once it warms up some will switch to a reel with no cast breaks to see how that works. Level wind a pain because you can*t get the shock line knot on the side of spool where it wont hit your thumb at start of cast.Will also have to wait to see if it makes that big a difference with a fish on.Now this could take awhile!!!!
Bawana is offline   Reply With Quote