Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 01-05-2022, 09:45 AM   #1
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

Ashley Babbit was unarmed, and killed for the crime of trespassing, by a cop with a documented history of being stupidly reckless with his firearm.

This is totally out of context thinking, IMHO. She was at the very front of the force about to breach the chamber... I am more surprised by the restraint shown by all others who were defending the Capital and were armed... I would have been firing before the force reached the top of the stairs.
And there is more to the Ashley Babbit story than her just being the victim here. She used her vehicle to ram the vehicle of the woman who was in a six year relationship with the man she was sleeping with. So given her record, I am sure she could easily slip into presenting as a threatening member of the attacking force. Good shoot IMO. She put herself there...

“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed, unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms.” – James Madison.
Old 01-05-2022, 09:57 AM   #2
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightfighter View Post
Ashley Babbit was unarmed, and killed for the crime of trespassing, by a cop with a documented history of being stupidly reckless with his firearm.

This is totally out of context thinking, IMHO. She was at the very front of the force about to breach the chamber... I am more surprised by the restraint shown by all others who were defending the Capital and were armed... I would have been firing before the force reached the top of the stairs.
And there is more to the Ashley Babbit story than her just being the victim here. She used her vehicle to ram the vehicle of the woman who was in a six year relationship with the man she was sleeping with. So given her record, I am sure she could easily slip into presenting as a threatening member of the attacking force. Good shoot IMO. She put herself there...
and whose life was in immediate danger if she breached the chamber? could she have launched nukes from there?

“i would have been firing”

yeah yeah yeah.

officer kim potter is facing 15 years for an honest mistake in a deadly situation created by a criminal. . but this cop is a hero.

makes all kinds of sense.

was stupid for her to break
in, so so stupid.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Last edited by Jim in CT; 01-05-2022 at 10:21 AM..
Old 01-05-2022, 10:37 AM   #3
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post

and whose life was in immediate danger if she breached the chamber?

you know that if she was protesting/rioting for a leftist cause these guys would be losing their minds over her senseless murder and condemning the police
Old 01-07-2022, 10:31 AM   #4
PaulS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
a

officer kim potter is facing 15 years for an honest mistake in a deadly situation created by a criminal
So her intent should be taken into account as it was an honest mistake (I agree it was a mistake) and her intent was not to shoot the kid. So intent matters (which I agree with).

But somehow it doesn't matter when 7 electors didn't vote for whom they were supposed to vote for bc intent doesn't matter in this instance. Got it.
Old 01-05-2022, 10:25 AM   #5
PaulS

Quote:

I too am amazed at the restraint of the officers that day. She was a crazy woman.
Old 01-05-2022, 10:35 AM   #6
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS View Post
I too am amazed at the restraint of the officers that day. She was a crazy woman.
I guess in future at "mostly peaceful protests" and riots it will be ok if the police bust out the live rounds and take down any un-armed protesters that get out of hand and start damaging stuff.....
Old 01-05-2022, 11:09 AM   #7
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post
I guess in future at "mostly peaceful protests" and riots it will be ok if the police bust out the live rounds and take down any un-armed protesters that get out of hand and start damaging stuff.....
You are better than this, aren't you?

“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed, unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms.” – James Madison.
Old 01-05-2022, 11:22 AM   #8
scottw

Quote:
You are better than this, aren't you?
I saw some...actually... a lot ....of very violent attacks on police and military members the summer prior and they didn't fire any bullets

this was an unarmed woman, and maybe she was mentally unstable, but I thought that was a reason not to shoot someone, particularly if they are unarmed

I'm not defending her, I believe what happened to her was the result of bad decisions she made that day just as many police shootings are the result of bad decisions made by those that get themselves shot...it's just amazing to see the response of some to her killing....
Old 01-05-2022, 11:41 AM   #9
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

Quote:
I saw some...actually... a lot ....of very violent attacks on police and military members the summer prior and they didn't fire any bullets

this was an unarmed woman, and maybe she was mentally unstable, but I thought that was a reason not to shoot someone, particularly if they are unarmed

I'm not defending her, I believe what happened to her was the result of bad decisions she made that day just as many police shootings are the result of bad decisions made by those that get themselves shot...it's just amazing to see the response of some to her killing....
I just find it interesting how you are backing away, or quantifying
a statement made by Jim, that I took issue with...
She put herself in the line of fire. How many thousands of miles did she travel from her home? Her right to peaceful protest ended when she, as a member of the group, proceeded past police barriers, up the step, and breached the Capitol. She put herself there. What is so amazing about my response??? She asked for it.

Old 01-05-2022, 11:48 AM   #10
scottw

Quote:

I just find it interesting how you are backing away,

She asked for it.
from what?

"I'm not defending her, I believe what happened to her was the result of bad decisions she made that day just as many police shootings are the result of bad decisions made by those that get themselves shot...it's just amazing to see the response of some to her killing...."

I wouldn't say she asked for it, she certainly put herself in harms way...she was the only one shot that day...no question as to why only one officer fired a bullet that day despite all of the violence apparently going on particularly as you've said you'd have just opened fire?

you also dragged out the story about a car incident as if that's relevant? Ted Kennedy had a little car incident and still ran for president afterward
Old 01-05-2022, 11:24 AM   #11
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

This is worth watching. Frontline Season 2021 episode 7 American insurrection.

https://www.pbs.org/video/american-insurrection-ozor8y/

While I clearly saw the bias from the get-go, I feel it connects the dots enough to assign blame for the abject results of Jan 6. The justification of violence by these militias and far right factions are painting some of you in this discussion with the same broad stoke.

Old 01-05-2022, 10:26 AM   #12
scottw

Quote:
[B]

Ashley Babbit was unarmed,

. She was at the very front of the force about to breach the chamber...

would you say this "force" was more like Delta Force or Space Force?
Old 01-05-2022, 11:28 AM   #13
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

Quote:
would you say this "force" was more like Delta Force or Space Force?
You're a dope....and a gaslighter. The force that overran the Capitol Police, whose job it is to protect and defend the Capitol and members of Congress.

Old 01-05-2022, 11:29 AM   #14
scottw

[QUOTE=nightfighter;1220079

....and a gaslighter.

[/QUOTE]

this is already WAY overused....
Old 01-05-2022, 11:32 AM   #15
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

Quote:
this is already WAY overused....
Agreed. As are the arguments and justifications for actions we are discussing in these recent pages.

Old 01-05-2022, 11:36 AM   #16
scottw

Quote:
[B]

.. I would have been firing before the force reached the top of the stairs.

how many do you think you could take out?
Old 01-29-2022, 11:38 PM   #17
detbuch

Quote:

Sometimes things are not what they appear to be . . . and there is evidence that Ashley Babbit was not the villain you think she was. Maybe she was not a threatening member of the attacking force. Could be that she wanted to stop any "attack." And did not deserve to be shot:

https://www.theepochtimes.com/ashli-...wCZ7F6fdBUPMTd
Old 01-30-2022, 06:10 AM   #18
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by detbuch View Post
Sometimes things are not what they appear to be . . . and there is evidence that Ashley Babbit was not the villain you think she was. Maybe she was not a threatening member of the attacking force. Could be that she wanted to stop any "attack." And did not deserve to be shot:

https://www.theepochtimes.com/ashli-...wCZ7F6fdBUPMTd

I am more surprised by the restraint shown by all others who were defending the Capital and were armed... I would have been firing before the force reached the top of the stairs.

^^^ this actually sounds like something a crazy militia member might fantasize about....he must have missed all of the restraint by armed police officers during the 574 riots during the summer of love

we've had some here criticize police for discharging their guns when they had guns, tasers, knives, vehicles pointed at them....what was Ashley pointing at this officer that threatened him?

If this had been the Federal Courthouse in Portland and protesters had broken a window and were climbing through and a cop shot an unarmed woman climbing through the window and killed her...do you think it might have been portrayed a bit differently by the usual suspects ?
Old 01-30-2022, 07:20 AM   #19
Jim in CT

Quote:
.what was Ashley pointing at this officer that threatened him?

?
the cop who killed her, testified to congress that he couldn’t see her hands at the time he’s got her to death.

where is the argument that she posed an immediate and lethal threat to anyone at that moment?