Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 09-15-2022, 08:28 AM   #1
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS View Post
No other country is as rich as we are with millions of poor bordering us.

We should increase legal immigration drastically. Now would be a good time to give extra consideration to those Russ./ukr scientist/bus. owners.
Agreed. That needs to be a discussion point.
Barry Ritholtz was on a pod cast talking about labor shortage issues related to COVID (deaths + earlier retirements + people improving their skills and moving up into better jobs + people who left jobs to start a small business). He was advocating for this increase to bolster the service/production/transport sectors...

Bryan

Originally Posted by #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&
"For once I agree with Spence. UGH. I just hope I don't get the urge to go start buying armani suits to wear in my shop"
Old 09-15-2022, 08:37 AM   #2
PaulS

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIROCKHOUND View Post
Agreed. That needs to be a discussion point.
Barry Ritholtz was on a pod cast talking about labor shortage issues related to COVID (deaths + earlier retirements + people improving their skills and moving up into better jobs + people who left jobs to start a small business). He was advocating for this increase to bolster the service/production/transport sectors...
I don't know who Ritholtz is but he sounds smart
Old 09-15-2022, 09:04 AM   #3
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

Quote:
'The Big Picture' a blog about macroeconomics type stuff...

Bryan

"For once I agree with Spence. UGH. I just hope I don't get the urge to go start buying armani suits to wear in my shop"
Old 09-15-2022, 10:52 AM   #4
Jim in CT

Quote:

Covid deaths are why there are unfilled jobs out there? I just looked up covid deaths by age, data i saw said that 70% of all covid deaths were for americans age 70 and older. how many were working at the kinds of jobs that are um- filled today?
Old 09-15-2022, 11:14 AM   #5
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
Covid deaths are why there are unfilled jobs out there? I just looked up covid deaths by age, data i saw said that 70% of all covid deaths were for americans age 70 and older. how many were working at the kinds of jobs that are um- filled today?
1.05 million officially * 30% = 315,000 people.
Plus all the other factors listed, no one said it was the ONLY factor, it was A factor.

Bryan

Old 09-15-2022, 02:20 PM   #6
Jim in CT

Quote:
1.05 million officially * 30% = 315,000 people.
Plus all the other factors listed, no one said it was the ONLY factor, it was A factor.
obviously a cause. Who knows to what degree.

Bryan, do you think it’s fair that southern border states have to bear the burden caused by people in DC choosing not to secure the border? isnt border security a national issue? why is it unfair for TX and AZ to expect that all 50 states take a proportionate share of illegals? i really don’t see what that’s not fair and logical.

i respect what you say and is he curious to see your take on that one aspect of this. Do border states have all the responsibility due to their bad luck of being in the border? Or do all 50 states share the responsibility?
Old 09-15-2022, 02:54 PM   #7
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

Quote:
i respect what you say and is he curious to see your take on that one aspect of this. Do border states have all the responsibility due to their bad luck of being in the border? Or do all 50 states share the responsibility?
Yes, they do share responsibility. There is no easy fix. Busing them (or flying) for a political stunt to various liberal states with no infrastructure or plan is not the answer, however.

Bryan

Old 09-15-2022, 03:10 PM   #8
Jim in CT

Quote:
Yes, they do share responsibility. There is no easy fix. Busing them (or flying) for a political stunt to various liberal states with no infrastructure or plan is not the answer, however.
they share responsibility? democrats are going berserk that a tiny tiny number were sent to blue states

there’s an extremely easy fix. Build a wall. China pulled it off with the Great Wall in 200 BC. That wall is 13,000 miles long. . The mexican border is around 2,000 miles.

You say we should all pitch in, yet you say it’s a political stunt when border states asks other states to ante up. Which is it?

If border states encounter 2 million immigrants this year ( and i think it’s projected to be higher than that for the first time), why not send them proportionately to all 50 states?

Last edited by Jim in CT; 09-15-2022 at 03:21 PM..
Old 09-15-2022, 11:54 AM   #9
PaulS

Quote:
Why do I care?
Old 09-15-2022, 02:06 PM   #10
Jim in CT

Quote:
Why do I care?
Well, you said it was "smart" when someone else posted that covoid deaths are a reason why there are a huge number of unfilled jobs. I don't see data to support that, and the demographics of covid deaths suggest that covid deaths aren't likely a big reason why. Getting people addicted to generous unemployment benefits may have been a larger contributor. But I doubt you care bout that either, because it doesn't serve liberalism.
Old 09-15-2022, 02:15 PM   #11
PaulS

Quote:
Well, you said it was "smart" when someone else posted that covoid deaths are a reason why there are a huge number of unfilled jobs. I don't see data to support that, and the demographics of covid deaths suggest that covid deaths aren't likely a big reason why. Getting people addicted to generous unemployment benefits may have been a larger contributor. But I doubt you care bout that either, because it doesn't serve liberalism.
I always said you have horrible reading comprehension.
Old 09-15-2022, 02:21 PM   #12
Jim in CT

Quote:
I always said you have horrible reading comprehension.
ok.

any chance you can answer this - do southern border states deserve to shoulder this burden, or do all 50 states have a responsibility to deal with it? Why is it unfair for southern states to expect that each state take a proportionate share of these immigrants? Why do southern states deserve this burden?
Old 09-15-2022, 02:24 PM   #13
PaulS

Quote:
Well, you said it was "smart" when someone else posted that covoid deaths are a reason why there are a huge number of unfilled jobs. That is not what I meant.
I don't see data to support that, and the demographics of covid deaths suggest that covid deaths aren't likely a big reason why. Getting people addicted to generous unemployment benefits may have been a larger contributor. But I doubt you care bout that either, because it doesn't serve liberalism.How would you know what I care about. You sound like an idiot when you post things like that.
And you are wrong about unemployment benefits. It just caused pain to those receiving the benefits - which given the conserv. states track record appears to be what was intended.

State governors, largely Republicans, said the federal funds were keeping recipients from looking for jobs, making it harder for businesses to hire and holding back the economic recovery.

However, Census Bureau data suggests recipients didn’t rush to find jobs in the weeks following the first batch of state withdrawals, according to Arindrajit Dube, an economics professor at the University of Massachusetts Amherst.

Specifically, the share of adults receiving unemployment benefits fell sharply (by 2.2 percentage points) in the dozen states that cut federal funding on June 12 or 19, according to Dube. That translates to a 60% reduction in unemployment rolls in those states, he said.

But there wasn’t a corresponding increase in employment among this group — in fact, the share of adults with a job fell by 1.4 percentage points over the same period, according to Dube. (Employment rose by 0.2 percentage points in states that didn’t end the pandemic benefits.)

Together, the data shows there wasn’t an immediate job boost following the cuts, Dube said.