Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 03-02-2022, 02:58 PM   #1051
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS View Post

"This is not really a policy argument," Bolton said. .
In other words, Bolton can't argue with what Trump actually did, he just hates Trump because Trump pretty much ended Bolton's relevance within the GOP.

How come no one on the left wants to have policy arguments?
Old 03-02-2022, 03:10 PM   #1052
PaulS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
In other words, Bolton can't argue with what Trump actually did, he just hates Trump because Trump pretty much ended Bolton's relevance within the GOP.

How come no one on the left wants to have policy arguments?
Or maybe he dislikes Trump for being so stupid and only looking out for himself instead of the country (similar to what F. Hill said about Trump).

"This is not really a policy argument," Bolton said. "This is really about Trump's lack of any significant historical knowledge, his lack of strategic thinking, and frankly, his lack of thinking about pretty much anything other than what benefitted Donald Trump."

Bolton went on to say the former president only made moves that would benefit himself and his own political purposes, not the country.

"Why was he concerned about Ukraine in the summer of 2019? Because he wanted that DNC server," Bolton added. "Why was he concerned about corruption in Ukraine? Because he was looking for an excuse to cover the reason he was refusing to send $250 million of security assistance to the Ukraine, and only when that finally blew up in his face."
Old 03-02-2022, 03:16 PM   #1053
scottw

Quote:

Bolton went on to say the former president only made moves that would benefit himself and his own political purposes, not the country.
yet the country was doing great and the world was pretty peaceful till covid and biden...democrats weren't happy of course
Old 03-02-2022, 03:54 PM   #1054
wdmso

Trump: Russian Invasion a 'Holocaust,' Calls to 'Stop Killing'

now he's in Damage control
Old 03-02-2022, 04:00 PM   #1055
Jim in CT

Quote:
Or maybe he dislikes Trump for being so stupid and only looking out for himself instead of the country (similar to what F. Hill said about Trump).

."
and that’s demonstrably false horse crap.

the country was better ifff before covid but by just about any conceivable measure, that’s. it was in 2020.

as i said, vague personal attacks that are totally refuted by the facts. trump did things americans liked.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Old 03-02-2022, 04:04 PM   #1056
PaulS

Quote:
and that’s demonstrably false horse crap.

the country was better ifff before covid but by just about any conceivable measure, that’s. it was in 2020.

as i said, vague personal attacks that are totally refuted by the facts. trump did things americans liked.
ok so 2 who dealt w/Trump on a daily??? basis behind closed doors both said the same thing but it is horse crap.
Old 03-02-2022, 04:20 PM   #1057
Jim in CT

Quote:
ok so 2 who dealt w/Trump on a daily??? basis behind closed doors both said the same thing but it is horse crap.
Yes, it's horsecrap to say something that's completely contradicted by the facts.

Tax cuts, generationally low unemployment, lowest black unemployment ever recorded, not getting us involved in stupid wars, bringing jihadists to their knees, soaring stock market, criminal justice reform...

NONE of that helped the country?

It doesn't matter if everyone Trump ever met said he didn't do anything to help the country, the fact is he did help the country.

My favorite moment of the Trump presidency? A little kid wrote to Trump that he also wanted to start his own business, a lawn mowing business. So Trump brought him to the White House, let the kid cut the lawn, Trump walked back and forth across the lawn with the kid. A rare nice moment.

The left couldn't let him have it, they claimed he should be investigated for violating child labor laws.

That's why they put the "D" in TDS.

A record number of Americans said they were better off after Trumps presidency. No other president scored higher.

That certainly doesn't mean he was the best president. But sure as hell it means that he helped the country.

Bolton is a washed up has been, consumed by bitterness at his loss of influence.
Old 03-02-2022, 04:58 PM   #1058
detbuch

Quote:
There are several others who dealt with Trump on a daily basis who do not say what Bolton said, but say the opposite. If your criteria is believing those who dealt with Trump on a daily basis, then you should believe others besides Bolton. But you don't. You pick the ones you agree with. So your stated criteria is horsecrap.
Old 03-02-2022, 05:07 PM   #1059
detbuch

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdmso View Post

He's Putin's puppet.
Old 03-02-2022, 05:14 PM   #1060
Jim in CT

Quote:

it’s Trumps damage to control?
Old 03-02-2022, 08:55 PM   #1061
Pete F.
Canceled

During the presidential transition period, Trump spoke openly about easing off sanctions that had been imposed on Russia for its election meddling. Weeks into his term, after he said he respected Putin and was challenged that the Russian president was “a killer,” Trump pushed back with this apologia: “What, do you think our country’s so innocent?”
Old 03-02-2022, 09:02 PM   #1062
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete F. View Post
During the presidential transition period, Trump spoke openly about easing off sanctions that had been imposed on Russia for its election meddling. Weeks into his term, after he said he respected Putin and was challenged that the Russian president was “a killer,” Trump pushed back with this apologia: “What, do you think our country’s so innocent?”
again, if what you’re saying is true, putin might have invaded when trump
was potus, thereby not facing the sanctions that Biden is enforcing.

clobbered by common sense a toddler could figure out.
Old 03-02-2022, 09:06 PM   #1063
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
again, if what you’re saying is true, putin might have invaded when trump
was potus, thereby not facing the sanctions that Biden is enforcing.

clobbered by common sense a toddler could figure out.
In mid-July 2017, Trump tried to weaken new congressionally imposed sanctions against Russia — before they passed by veto-proof majorities and he begrudgingly signed them into law, calling them “seriously flawed.”

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Niles: You have met “people”, haven’t you?

Lets Go Darwin
Old 03-02-2022, 09:14 PM   #1064
Jim in CT

pete -

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bro...on-russia/amp/
Old 03-02-2022, 09:53 PM   #1065
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
pete -

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bro...on-russia/amp/
On that ignominious day in July 2018, standing alongside Putin, Trump was asked whether he sided with U.S. intelligence agencies’ universal assessment that Russia had interfered in the 2016 elections. His reply: “President Putin says it’s not Russia. I don’t see any reason why it would be.” Deference has rarely been so devious.

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Lets Go Darwin
Old 03-03-2022, 05:51 AM   #1066
wdmso

Jan. 6 panel claims Trump 'engaged in criminal conspiracy'

just another Hoax
Old 03-03-2022, 06:36 AM   #1067
scottw

Quote:
Jan. 6 panel claims Trump 'engaged in criminal conspiracy'

just another Hoax
claims or charges?....I think this has been claimed since Jan 6th
Old 03-03-2022, 07:00 AM   #1068
Pete F.
Canceled

Congress can’t charge, they refer to DOJ
The Jan. 6 select committee says it believes Donald Trump violated multiple laws in his quest to overturn the 2020 election — including obstruction of Congress and defrauding the United States.

The committee supported its conclusions by releasing excerpts from multiple depositions, including:

-JASON MILLER
-MARC SHORT
-GREG JACOB
-JOHN EASTMAN
-KEITH KELLOGG
-JEFF ROSEN
-RICHARD DONOGHUE
Old 03-03-2022, 07:14 AM   #1069
scottw

Quote:
Congress can’t charge, they refer to DOJ
The Jan. 6 select committee says it believes Donald Trump violated multiple laws in his quest to overturn the 2020 election — including obstruction of Congress and defrauding the United States.

The committee supported its conclusions by releasing excerpts from multiple depositions, including:

-JASON MILLER
-MARC SHORT
-GREG JACOB
-JOHN EASTMAN
-KEITH KELLOGG
-JEFF ROSEN
-RICHARD DONOGHUE
ok...let us know when they charge him...how's that thing in NY going?
Old 03-03-2022, 08:11 AM   #1070
PaulS

Quote:
On that ignominious day in July 2018, standing alongside Putin, Trump was asked whether he sided with U.S. intelligence agencies’ universal assessment that Russia had interfered in the 2016 elections. His reply: “President Putin says it’s not Russia. I don’t see any reason why it would be.” Deference has rarely been so devious.
Can't make those thing up
Old 03-03-2022, 10:35 AM   #1071
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post
ok...let us know when they charge him...how's that thing in NY going?
Which of the many things are you talking about?
Last I knew there were close to twenty active civil and criminal cases that he or his business were defendants in

Lets Go Darwin
Old 03-03-2022, 10:39 AM   #1072
scottw

Quote:
Which of the many things are you talking about?
Last I knew there were close to twenty active civil and criminal cases that he or his business were defendants in
should be in jail any time now I guess...
Old 03-03-2022, 10:55 AM   #1073
wdmso

Love conservatives logic unless trumps isn't charged with a crime and convicted

Then his behavior and actions are acceptable..(even if clear as day) ethics intent need not be considered

Unless it Gov Comuo , Hilary , Hunter , Soros then everything counts all based on a feeling
Old 03-03-2022, 11:07 AM   #1074
Jim in CT

Quote:
Love conservatives logic unless trumps isn't charged with a crime and convicted

Then his behavior and actions are acceptable..(even if clear as day) ethics intent need not be considered

Unless it Gov Comuo , Hilary , Hunter , Soros then everything counts all based on a feeling

there’s not one irrational trump apologist here. literally, not one.

the liberal logic is that he’s a Sith Lord, and we need to fanatically discuss him 24/7 to distract attention away from the disastrous first year of the democrat who’s currently in the oval office.

we should never, under any circumstances,,allow it to be known that Biden doesn’t walk on water. Every time it looks like someone wants to discuss an imperfection in the current administration,,liberals will always pivot to how evil
republicans are.
Old 03-03-2022, 12:05 PM   #1075
wdmso

Quote:
there’s not one irrational trump apologist here. literally, not one.

that doesn't make what I said. not True
Old 03-03-2022, 12:06 PM   #1076
wdmso

As of this writing, March 2nd

Truth Social has fallen to No. 57 in the App Store, just behind Tinder and Planet Fitness Workouts.

Trump's role: The former president is Truth Social's founder and chairman, so he obviously bears some responsibility for putting together the team that's so far fallen on its face. But, most importantly, he's not using the app.

Trump hasn't posted a single time since the launch, despite an international crisis that has captivated the country.

More fleecing of the faithful
Old 03-03-2022, 12:37 PM   #1077
Pete F.
Canceled

Roger Stone on JANUARY 6th sat next to Joshua James, who just pled guilty to SEDITIOUS CONSPIRACY and obstructing an official proceeding and is facing 7-9 years in prison as part of a full cooperation agreement.

This is going to get quite interesting.

The J6 committee didn’t file their most recent court documents till after the guilty plea.
Old 03-03-2022, 06:59 PM   #1078
Pete F.
Canceled

Try and remember the last time a Congressional Committee accused a President--in a court filing--of committing felonies. This isn't loose talk, it is a solemn court document, subject to all sorts of sanctions for misrepresentations, and backed by evidence they have uncovered.

Having a hard time?
Old 03-03-2022, 08:36 PM   #1079
detbuch

While net surfing, saw the headline "Analysis: Donald Trump calling Vladimir Putin a 'genius' was no mistake". It is a CNN article, but I read it anyway, to see what spin they put on it.

And yeah, they did, big time. Spinning into lying. It's that Buck Sexton and Clay Travis podcast that we've discussed on this forum. The article paints Trump as a Putin devotee with whom he sides, even against our country.

Right off the bat, in the headline, they lied. In the interview, Trump did not say that Putin was a genius. He used "genius" in the colloquial manner that he often does to describe really clever things or opinions--this time to comment on Putin's invasion--"This is genius"--which doesn't amount to calling Putin a genius. It's a common expression to describe a particular thing or action, not an unconditional judgment of the doer's mental capacity. And Trump's "Oh, that's wonderful" was pure Trumpian sarcasm. And being "smart" is not an indication of being morally upright or even of being right. Complimenting someone as being smart or doing something smart is not in itself an approval of his character. "I'd say that's pretty smart. He's taking over a country -- really a vast, vast location, a great piece of land with a lot of people, and just walking right in."-- "for two dollars' worth of sanctions." Saying it was "smart" to do that for almost nothing in retribution is not, as a transaction, incorrect. Obviously, Putin miscalculated if he thought the response would be puny in comparison to what he'd get--so he might not be as smart as Trump suggests.

And Trump, the article does not mention, said that the invasion was a disaster.

The article goes on: Then, in a speech at the annual Conservative Political Action Conference last weekend, Trump, again, repeated his praise of Putin. "Yesterday reporters asked me if I thought President Putin was smart," he said. "I said, 'Of course, he's smart,' to which I was greeted with 'Oh, that's such a terrible thing to say.'" I like to tell them, 'Yes, he's smart." Trump obviously likes to poke back at his Press adversaries--they either don't get what he's doing, or they intentionally spin it their way.

The article goes on and links to some timeline, I suppose of Trump praising Putin. I've seen enough selective timelines re Trump to not bother wasting time on it--select what you can spin and disregard the vast residuum of other things Trump has said or done or accomplished. To paint a picture. To create a narrative.

I don't say any of this to "defend" Trump. I would be perfectly happy if he was no longer an issue--whether he was convicted of an actual crime, or was not elected the candidate in the next primary. I am pointing out what is being done on a larger scale to take this country to a place that I do not think is good. And I think Trump is the scapegoat to distract us from the real danger. Paint him as the danger to "our Democracy" while the real culprit, the whole corporate/government/media complex is becoming our ruling class and needs to be exposed. Honest information is needed to fight it. Lies, false narratives, will not help us maintain what is left of our Republic.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/polit...?ocid=msedgntp

Last edited by detbuch; 03-03-2022 at 09:12 PM..
Old 03-03-2022, 11:10 PM   #1080
scottw

Quote:

subject to all sorts of sanctions for misrepresentations

when have democrats ever worried about this?