Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 01-27-2010, 08:03 AM   #1
Fly Rod

Liberal Economics

It's a slow day in a small Vermont town and streets are deserted. Times are tough,
everybody is in debt, and everybody is living on credit. A rich tourist
drives through town, stops at the motel, and lays a $100 bill on the
desk saying he wants to inspect the rooms upstairs to pick one for the night.

As soon as he walks upstairs, the owner grabs the bill and runs next door to pay
his debt to the butcher.

The butcher takes the $100 and runs down the street to retire his debt to the pig farmer.

The pig farmer takes the $100 and heads to pay his bill to his supplier, the Farmer's Co-op.

Th guy at the Farmer's Co-op takes the $100 and runs to pay his debt to the
local prostitute, who has also been facing hard times and has had to offer her
"services" on credit.

The hooker rushes to the hotel and pays off her room bill with the hotel owner.

The hotel proprietor then places the $100 back on the counter so the rich
traveler will not suspect anything.

At that moment the traveler comes down the stairs, states that the rooms are not
satisfactory, picks up the $100 bill and leaves town.

No one produced anything. No one earned anything. However, the whole town
is now out of debt and now looks to the future with a lot more optimism.

And that, ladies and gentlemen, is how the Democrats are conducting business today.
Old 01-27-2010, 09:57 AM   #2
JohnnyD

That's kind of how basic economics works. Aside from payments for exports and when additional money is printed, economies are a closed system. However, that's not at all how a majority of the debt the government is "aiding" has been created.

You really should post where you get these from. Unless you actually do come up with this crap on your own.
Old 01-27-2010, 10:16 AM   #3
Fly Rod

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyD View Post
That's kind of how basic economics works. Aside from payments for exports and when additional money is printed, economies are a closed system. However, that's not at all how a majority of the debt the government is "aiding" has been created.

You really should post where you get these from. Unless you actually do come up with this crap on your own.
Crap!!!

You should change your Avatar of you. This past summer I thought you were exhausted from night for stripers. With the season over I'm beginning to think that you are binge drinking or maybe you should not be banging your head aganist the What do others think of you looking like that in the morning?
Old 01-27-2010, 10:16 AM   #4
Nebe

Couldn't one argue that the republicans in washinton who drove the enonomy into the ground are responsible for vermonts problems??? And before the economy tanked those vermonters were just fine and didn't have to live off of credit?
The egg came before the chicken
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Old 01-27-2010, 10:38 AM   #5
JohnnyD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly Rod View Post
Crap!!!

You should change your Avatar of you. This past summer I thought you were exhausted from night for stripers. With the season over I'm beginning to think that you are binge drinking or maybe you should not be banging your head aganist the What do others think of you looking like that in the morning?
How am I wrong?
Old 01-27-2010, 10:44 AM   #6
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebe View Post
Couldn't one argue that the republicans in washinton who drove the enonomy into the ground are responsible for vermonts problems??? And before the economy tanked those vermonters were just fine and didn't have to live off of credit?
The egg came before the chicken
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
I would like 3 clearly articulated examples of how the republicans in washington drove the economy into the ground?

making s-b.com a kinder, gentler place for all
Old 01-27-2010, 10:48 AM   #7
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

oh, and ps, before you respond, take a gander at this, just scroll to the bottom for who caused the problem....

FactCheck.org: Who Caused the Economic Crisis?

Old 01-27-2010, 10:58 AM   #8
JohnnyD

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIJIMMY View Post
oh, and ps, before you respond, take a gander at this, just scroll to the bottom for who caused the problem....

I completely agree. It's everyone's fault - Dems, Repubs, yours, mine, the rich and the poor.

That still doesn't change how the original post by Fly Rod is nonsense.
Old 01-27-2010, 11:17 AM   #9
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

not mine, I pay my bills and dont live above my means. Never took a home equity loan, pay my cc debt off every month.

Old 01-27-2010, 11:37 AM   #10
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:

Does that mean I can use Factcheck.org instead of snopes from now on....Cool.

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
Old 01-27-2010, 11:38 AM   #11
fishbones

Quote:
I completely agree. It's everyone's fault - Dems, Repubs, yours, mine, the rich and the poor.

That still doesn't change how the original post by Fly Rod is nonsense.
My God! You and Nebe really need to lighten up. The original post was poking fun at Dems. Do you really think it's a true story? Even in Vermont, that wouldn't happen. Any claim by you that you have a sense of humor is nonsense.

As for your thought about who to blame for the economic crisis, don't blame me, either. I'm middle class and in great shape financially. I don't have a car payment and my mortgage is probably half of what most people pay. And like Jimmy, I pay off my credit cards when I have a balance. But mostly, I just use a debit card so I'm not spending what I dont' have.

Conservatism is not about leaving people behind. Conservatism is about empowering people to catch up, to give them tools at their disposal that make it possible for them to access all the hope, all the promise, all the opportunity that America offers. - Marco Rubio
Old 01-27-2010, 11:39 AM   #12
JohnnyD

Quote:
not mine, I pay my bills and dont live above my means. Never took a home equity loan, pay my cc debt off every month.
Everything you buy is made in the USA? You drive the most fuel efficient vehicle possible?
Old 01-27-2010, 12:01 PM   #13
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Quote:
Everything you buy is made in the USA? You drive the most fuel efficient vehicle possible?
hmm, I missed those on the list of causes of the economic crisis? You mean no one in america makes money off foreign goods? You mean how much fuel I use (and pay for) caused the economic crash? please see my signature below.

Old 01-27-2010, 12:20 PM   #14
JohnnyD

Quote:
hmm, I missed those on the list of causes of the economic crisis? You mean no one in america makes money off foreign goods? You mean how much fuel I use (and pay for) caused the economic crash? please see my signature below.
Nope. Didn't say that at all. I said that every single one of us have contributed in some way. Many people make money on foreign goods, but I would rather purchase an American-made product than save a couple dollars purchasing a similar one from China. I would rather put my money into the pockets of Americans.

The grand point in all this is that the less we (as a whole) depend on products from overseas, the more stable of an economy we will have and in turn, the more buying power the dollar will have for essential products that cannot be produced domestically.

Usually your posts at least have some thought put into them. Lately, you're actually personifying your signature and arguing like a liberal.
Old 01-27-2010, 12:48 PM   #15
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Quote:
Nope. Didn't say that at all. I said that every single one of us have contributed in some way. Many people make money on foreign goods, but I would rather purchase an American-made product than save a couple dollars purchasing a similar one from China. I would rather put my money into the pockets of Americans.

The grand point in all this is that the less we (as a whole) depend on products from overseas, the more stable of an economy we will have and in turn, the more buying power the dollar will have for essential products that cannot be produced domestically.

Usually your posts at least have some thought put into them. Lately, you're actually personifying your signature and arguing like a liberal.
thats crap, plain and simple. You said we are all to blame for the crisis and that is demonstrably untrue. Not one of the behaviors that I practice has contributed to the economic downturn. In fact, I have continued to spend and invest which has only helped the economy. Dont try and change the story - everyone is not to blame.

Old 01-27-2010, 12:52 PM   #16
JohnnyD

Quote:
thats crap, plain and simple. You said we are all to blame for the crisis and that is demonstrably untrue. Not one of the behaviors that I practice has contributed to the economic downturn. In fact, I have continued to spend and invest which has only helped the economy. Dont try and change the story - everyone is not to blame.
I think you're more to blame than most people.
Old 01-27-2010, 01:04 PM   #17
buckman

How much do you wish we were in the good old days of 2008? 7 years into Bush....compare to 1 year into Obama.
Old 01-27-2010, 01:10 PM   #18
JohnnyD

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckman View Post
How much do you wish we were in the good old days of 2008? 7 years into Bush....compare to 1 year into Obama.
You mean the days leading up to the current economic state we're in? I don't wish for those days at all.

I do remember the fishing was pretty good that year though and I got a personal best Largemouth.
Old 01-27-2010, 01:56 PM   #19
buckman

Quote:
You mean the days leading up to the current economic state we're in? I don't wish for those days at all.

I do remember the fishing was pretty good that year though and I got a personal best Largemouth.
6% unemployment, flush 401k's....I hear ya, much better after 1 year of the O man

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/...re-rolls_N.htm

Last edited by buckman; 01-27-2010 at 02:05 PM..
Old 01-27-2010, 02:20 PM   #20
JohnnyD

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckman View Post
6% unemployment, flush 401k's....I hear ya, much better after 1 year of the O man

Welfare rolls up in '09; more enroll in assistance programs - USATODAY.com
You don't get the whole "bubble bursting" analogy, do you?
Old 01-27-2010, 02:35 PM   #21
Fly Rod

J D, Really didn't think you would take a joke so hard, man! I was only looking for a couple of

Here it is the middle of the day and when I see you on your side bar, I begin to worry about you. What's going on? Would you like to make an appointment with my psychiatrist? She is great when she gets you on the leather couch.

I think we should buy gold from a great Republican, Gordan Liddy, he was never a crook, his boss was.
Old 01-27-2010, 03:28 PM   #22
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

I cant blame O for the current economic crisis. As detailed in the fact check article it was a complicated mess that no president could have avoided. AS bad as it all seems, I still remember the 70s when my Dad was on strike, long gas lines, the russian threat and the awful sounds of disco on the radio, times seem a lot worse then. The economy is cyclical and eventually will rebound.

Old 01-27-2010, 04:24 PM   #23
JohnnyD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly Rod View Post
Here it is the middle of the day and when I see you on your side bar, I begin to worry about you. What's going on? Would you like to make an appointment with my psychiatrist? She is great when she gets you on the leather couch.
Yes, yes I would. Is she Asian?
Old 01-27-2010, 06:34 PM   #24
buckman

Quote:
Yes, yes I would. Is she Asian?
I'm feeling a little stressed too. Could use some relief
Old 01-27-2010, 07:08 PM   #25
Joe

Sounds very stimulative.
You forgot about the taxes. Each time a dollar changes hands it generates tax revenue. If a hundred dollar bill trades seven times, it will generate approx $70 in tax revenue - in sales tax alone - plus state and federal income taxes.

Old 01-28-2010, 10:00 AM   #26
Joe

We don't have the 'misery factor' (high interest rates coupled with high unemployment) and the runaway inflation of the 70's - but unemployment is higher and the percentage of people without health insurance is much higher. Corporate taxes and taxes for people in the upper income levels are far lower than in the 70's

Old 01-28-2010, 10:03 PM   #27
Swimmer
Retired Surfer

Quote:
I bought a toyota made in Texas.............

Flyrod I think your a pretty funny guy.

Johnny D, no one here new you graduated from Wharton. Wow.

Your reply is almost a little Al Franken like.

Swimmer a.k.a. YO YO MA
Serial Mailbox Killer/Seal Fisherman
Old 01-28-2010, 10:38 PM   #28
JohnnyD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swimmer View Post
I bought a toyota made in Texas.............

Flyrod I think your a pretty funny guy.

Johnny D, no one here new you graduated from Wharton. Wow.

Your reply is almost a little Al Franken like.
I didn't know you had to graduate from a business school in order to have an opinion. I guess that means any of your posts that aren't about driving around handing out speeding tickets shouldn't be taken seriously either?