Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » The Scuppers

The Scuppers This is a new forum for the not necessarily fishing related topics...

Old 11-25-2008, 09:45 AM   #121
wheresmy50

I'm checking out of this one.

If there was a 5 year war where one person was killed, the mother of that soldier would think it was a costly war. There would be no convincing her otherwise. Some people have it bad now, and in that situation it's hard to see anything positive.

The assertion that those who disagree are either ignorant of the situation or a stranger to financial harship is sadly typical and overused.

We as a country developed a lot of bad habbits economics-wise during the last 15 years. If this downturn stops some of those, we will be stronger for it.
wheresmy50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 09:51 AM   #122
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

Send a message via AIM to BigFish
WM50....your first statement confirms exactly my point......unless things are tough at home, which is the case in I would guess 80% of American homes right now, you would be ignorant to what is truly going on!

Almost time to get our fish on!!!
BigFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 09:56 AM   #123
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5/0 View Post
Spence,
I invested 12 yrs. in a printing Co.right oughta college,I worked in electronic pre press we had 12 Guy's in our Dept as computer tech industry grew at such a rapid rate we advanced to stay w/ the Jones's (back in da day)we went from courier to T1 then T3 then email proofs to dirtect to Plate,I was flying to N.Y & PA. every year for soft ware upgrades just to keep up w/ the Jones's!Also not to mention we mostly printed for investors like Fidelity,Pioneer,Eaton Vance,Putnum,Sun Life ect......
We went from 12 to 3 of us we still outputed better quality,higher volume because we had more automation tighter tolorances & had less man power........
The enevidable fell apon us we closed
A lot of this is just the natural cycle of globalization though. High-speed networks make it easy for this sort of work to be done anywhere and at a lower cost. The companies that stay alive are the ones that innovate to deliver new services at higher margins so they don't fold when the technology becomes common.

It obviously hurts when it happens to you, but without this cycle we'd see no new technology!

This is why our government needs to get into the game of incentives for new energy technology. We still have a lot of cheap energy on the planet and it's clear that industry will bleed it dry before we see a real sea change towards sustainable methods of living.

-spence
spence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 04:59 PM   #124
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFish View Post
WM50....your first statement confirms exactly my point......unless things are tough at home, which is the case in I would guess 80% of American homes right now, you would be ignorant to what is truly going on!
BF - My wife and I are still employed and not in any financial hardhsip presently. My view of what is going on is based on observation. At no point in our history has the government taken such a role in the economic direction and structure of this country. Never. Very soon, the governement will be funding our banks, our credit our purchases. All the while, this false economy will continue to collapse.
Some go fishing in shorts and a t-shirt, I wear 3 layers, waders and korkers. Better to be prepared and I see a long windy rainy season, with 12 ft swells heading our way

making s-b.com a kinder, gentler place for all
RIJIMMY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 05:03 PM   #125
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIJIMMY View Post
Some go fishing in shorts and a t-shirt, I wear 3 layers, waders and korkers. Better to be prepared and I see a long windy rainy season, with 12 ft swells heading our way
Don't forget your boat w/all those fancy electronics

-spence
spence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 05:23 PM   #126
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

RIJimmy...not sure if you misunderstood my last post? My point was that it seems many who have a stable 2 income situation are not seeing the big picture...obviously you are.

Old 11-26-2008, 11:58 AM   #127
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFish View Post
RIJimmy...not sure if you misunderstood my last post? My point was that it seems many who have a stable 2 income situation are not seeing the big picture...obviously you are.
I know, I just wanted you to acknowledge by brillaince.

Old 11-26-2008, 01:36 PM   #128
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

Brilliance acknowledged Jimmy! You spelled brilliance wrong!!

Old 11-26-2008, 01:48 PM   #129
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

hey Einstein couldnt tie his shoes, we all have our faults