Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Build Stuff: Custom Plug & Lure Building, Rod Building » Plug Building - Got Wood?

Plug Building - Got Wood? Got Plug?

Old 11-27-2007, 10:40 AM   #1
Ake G

Ake's got a duplicator...

And after I broke it in this past weekend, I don't know how I got along without one!

Truth is, I can crank out the two shapes I know how to make freehand w/o a template by eye and they're close enough but with my Vega I have a perfect copy in less than 5 minutes! And it's fun to use.

Going to help out immensely w/swimmers where consistent size/shape is most critical. More time for finish work and to maybe branch out from my three basic color schemes.

I will not be short on plugs next season. More later....
Ake G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 07:32 AM   #2
saltyric

Ake- I got a question for you. i set up a vega as well, but it seems no matter how many times I make a pass, it takes off more material? have you had any issues like that? Thx

Fish Rule!
saltyric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 08:21 AM   #3
Rockfish9

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltyric View Post
Ake- I got a question for you. i set up a vega as well, but it seems no matter how many times I make a pass, it takes off more material? have you had any issues like that? Thx

This should not be happening... first, is the duplicator set up properly?

Did you center the head and tail stock with the cutter?Did you set the height of the cutter? is everything tight? Is the work piece securely held between the headstock and the tail stock? If the answer is yes, you need to check the run out of the headstock and or the tail stock, if all is well with the duplicator and it is set up correctly, there has to be movement somewhere, and that movement would have to come from your lathe itself... double check everything.
Rockfish9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 08:31 AM   #4
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Check the nut that keeps the tool arm in place, keeps it from sliding forward and backwards....its probably loose, figured that one out the hard way as the same thing was happening to me

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
The Dad Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 08:48 AM   #5
Ake G

Maybe the cutter shaft is binding up? Try tightening/increase tension on the spring on the left side of the carriage (to the left of the red control handle) that controls depth of cut.

Is your workpiece centered on the lathe? Is your template or original locked -in tightly?
Ake G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 08:57 AM   #6
Charleston
Certified Mass-hole

If you are getting that condition your are experiencing what is known as "tool deflection" You are probably too high above the centerline with your tool. When you make a pass the wood is "deflecting" the duplicator backwards slightly.
Once you have everything on center you should be fine.
BTW the same condition can exist when you have a dull tool. Also, something else to check for; On the duplicator carraige there are 4 setscrews with retaining nuts on them. I have seen instances where one has backed out slightly. This will allow the carraige to pivot back and forth. This will cause the condition that you describe. Adjust the screws so they exert even pressure on the nylon gib glides. Elliminate the wobble and you will see an immediate diffence .

I think I'll open a shop and call it Jiffy-Dup

Last edited by Charleston; 11-28-2007 at 11:54 AM..
Charleston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 11:02 PM   #7
saltyric

I know the tail and center are aligned. I'm fairly certain the tool height is right on as well. I think part of the problem is I am using a plug made of suger pine as a pattern. Tonight I noticed "flats spots" running along the pattern where the duplicator "follower" comes in contact.......maybe I am pressing too hard?

Fish Rule!
saltyric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 11:05 PM   #8
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Make a pattern out of plexi-glass instead of out of wood

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
The Dad Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 09:01 AM   #9
Charleston
Certified Mass-hole

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltyric View Post
I know the tail and center are aligned. I'm fairly certain the tool height is right on as well. I think part of the problem is I am using a plug made of suger pine as a pattern. Tonight I noticed "flats spots" running along the pattern where the duplicator "follower" comes in contact.......maybe I am pressing too hard?

That condition exits with allot of patterns. However, once you have made the flat spot it should not continue to cause the problem. Unless you are turning the pattern each time. When I have a pattern in softer wood I give it a coat of epoxy.

Questions;
What is your spindle speed? RPM's
How much are you taking off with each pass?
Are the mounting posts on the duplicator tight?

Try this; Turn your stylus so you have the larger diameter agains your pattern. Turn until the tool removes no more material. Now flip the stylus over and follow the pattern with the smaller diameter. This is how the dup is intended to be used! Not many guys do it but that is the design theory. See if you may be crowding the work slightly.

Good luck!
Charleston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 01:19 PM   #10
JFigliuolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ake G View Post
And after I broke it in this past weekend, I don't know how I got along without one!

Truth is, I can crank out the two shapes I know how to make freehand w/o a template by eye and they're close enough but with my Vega I have a perfect copy in less than 5 minutes! And it's fun to use.

Going to help out immensely w/swimmers where consistent size/shape is most critical. More time for finish work and to maybe branch out from my three basic color schemes.

I will not be short on plugs next season. More later....
Nice, so when should I expect my spook???

Good judgement comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgement -- Keith Benning
JFigliuolo is offline   Reply With Quote