Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » The Scuppers

The Scuppers This is a new forum for the not necessarily fishing related topics...

Old 04-12-2007, 09:06 AM   #1
Skitterpop

Goodbye Kurt

Thank you very much for all the dark humorous quirky ironic reads.......

NEW YORK (AP) -- Kurt Vonnegut, the satirical novelist who captured the absurdity of war and questioned the advances of science in darkly humorous works such as "Slaughterhouse-Five" and "Cat's Cradle," died Wednesday. He was 84.
Vonnegut, who often marveled that he had lived so long despite his lifelong smoking habit, had suffered brain injuries after a fall at his Manhattan home weeks ago, said his wife, photographer Jill Krementz.
The author of at least 19 novels, many of them best-sellers, as well as dozens of short stories, essays and plays, Vonnegut relished the role of a social critic. He lectured regularly, exhorting audiences to think for themselves and delighting in barbed commentary against the institutions he felt were dehumanizing people.
"I will say anything to be funny, often in the most horrible situations," Vonnegut, whose watery, heavy-lidded eyes and unruly hair made him seem to be in existential pain, once told a gathering of psychiatrists.
A self-described religious skeptic and freethinking humanist, Vonnegut used protagonists such as Billy Pilgrim and Eliot Rosewater as transparent vehicles for his points of view. He also filled his novels with satirical commentary and even drawings that were only loosely connected to the plot. In "Slaughterhouse-Five," he drew a headstone with the epitaph: "Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt."
But much in his life was traumatic, and left him in pain.

Good health and family
Skitterpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 12:43 PM   #2
goosefish

Yes. The sirens of Titan is a favorite of mine. Very funny read. Great writer who stirred the soup of God in America with capitalism in America and race in America and war..........some very funny lines indeed.
goosefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 01:20 PM   #3
Nebe

one of my favorite writers. Tis a shame. Will Kilgore Trout read at the funeral
Nebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 02:09 PM   #4
slow eddie
slow eddie

what's really a shame is that on the a.m. news they give kurt a 20 second obit, and give 15 min. to imus. signs of deteriorting society.
slow eddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 02:13 PM   #5
spence

One of my favorite shorts is Harrison Bergeron

-spence
spence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 02:21 PM   #6
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

Spence.
good call.
me too!

Bryan

Originally Posted by #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&
"For once I agree with Spence. UGH. I just hope I don't get the urge to go start buying armani suits to wear in my shop"
RIROCKHOUND is offline   Reply With Quote