Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Computers

Computers Sidetrack to Computers, Questions on your home computer? Posting just for registered members....

Old 03-27-2007, 07:08 PM   #1
spence

Now I'm getting a boot stop and can't boot from CD

System: Dell Dimension 2400, XP Home SP2

So yesterday the computer was acting a bit freaky, eventually hung so I gave it a hard restart...

Now I'm getting a blue screen on boot

Stop Code c0000218 {Registry File Failure}
\SystemRoot\System32\Config\SAM

Seems to be a pretty common problem when the registry gets whacked. Buuuuutttt...

So my hard drive is showing errors when I run the internal diagnostics, and I'm unable to boot the OEM Windows XP disc from the primary CD drive to access the repair tools or even get a command prompt.

It looks like the BIOS recognizes the IDE CD drive, but I'm not able to get the "press any key to boot from CD" prompt. It just says F1 to boot from CD over and over (when pressed), and I don't see any activity on the CD drive.

I don't have an XP boot floppy, or any real way to make one in the house.

Ideas?

thanks - spence
spence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 08:11 PM   #2
MrHunters
What was that!?!

i don't have any great ideas but it sounds wacky.... by wacky i mean things that shouldnt happen.... i / e boot from cd.... it would be something if both your hard drive and cd drive failed.....

i would start be cracking the case. after you check all the normal crap check the capacitors on the motherboad ALL of them... check if they are buldging or leaking.

if you are unfamiliar with leaky capacitors the top of the cap there will be silver with an X (some have a K) they should be flat NO BULDGE and definelty NO LEAKS you will see orange goo if its leaking. It was a different model that had this problem but experienced some of the same symptoms.

and if your out of warranty dell will still replace the board.
MrHunters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 08:24 PM   #3
spence

Yes, I can understand the drive or registry getting corrupted. But the inability to boot from the CD has me completely stumped. I've never seen this before...

Caps look fine.

-spence
Old 03-27-2007, 08:51 PM   #4
stripedbasspro

How to Troubleshoot a Stop 0xC0000218 Error Message
View products that this article applies to.
Article ID : 156640
Last Review : February 27, 2007
Revision : 5.2
This article was previously published under Q156640
SYMPTOMS
A Windows-based computer displays the following Stop error message:
Stop 0xc0000218 (0xe11a30e8, 0x00000000, 0x000000000,0x00000000)
UNKNOWN_HARD_ERROR
-or-
Stop: 0xc0000218 {Registry File Failure}
The registry cannot load the hive (file):
\SystemRoot\System32\Config\SYSTEM or its log or alternate.
It is corrupt, absent, or not writable.
NOTE: The parameters in parentheses are specific to your system configuration and may differ each time.

Back to the top
CAUSE
A Stop 0xc0000218 error message means that a necessary registry hive file could not be loaded. This error message can occur if the file is corrupt or missing. To resolve this issue, you can reinstall the operating system and restore the registry files from a backup. The registry files may have been corrupted because of hard disk corruption or some other hardware problem.

This error message can also occur if the driver has corrupted the registry data while loading into memory, or the memory where the registry is loading has a parity error. In the latter case, turn off the external cache and check the memory chips.

Back to the top
RESOLUTION
To resolve this issue, follow these steps:
1. Start your computer by running the Recovery Console, run the chkdsk /p command on the drive, and then restart your computer. Test to determine whether the issue is resolved. If the issue is resolved, do not complete the remaining steps. If the issue is not resolved, go to step 2.
2. When Windows loads, press SPACE BAR when the "Load Last Known Good" message appears.
3. Complete a parallel installation, and restore the registry files from a tape backup. To do so:
• Reinstall Windows in a separate folder.
• Restore the damaged registry hive from backup. This procedure is specific to the backup application that you used to make a backup. Consult the documentation of your backup application or consult the vendor if you need assistance. Typically, this procedure requires you to restore a system state backup to an alternate location, and then copy the appropriate registry files to the %SYSTEMROOT%\System32\config folder of the damaged operating system.
• If you do not have a tape backup, include the backup of network servers and production workstations.
NOTE: If Windows is stored on a FAT partition, you can restore the files by using another computer and by copying the registry hive files to the %SYSTEMROOT%\System32\Config subfolder.

Back to the top
MORE INFORMATION
If the Stop error message was caused by a hardware problem (for example, bad sectors on the hard drive), the drive may require a low-level format, repartition, reformat, and a restore of the entire system from a tape backup to clear up the problem. Although this would be the most drastic case, if the Stop error message was caused by a physically bad sector, the sector must be relocated with a low-level format.

For more information about a similar problem that occurs in Microsoft Windows XP, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
307545 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307545/) How to recover from a corrupted registry that prevents Windows XP from starting
stripedbasspro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 06:02 PM   #5
spence

Ok, so I removed the CD/DVD drive which was the master and made the other CD drive that came with the PC the master...

It seems to recognize the old slave/new master drive as a boot device!

From what I've read reinstalling Windows is the best option on OEM installs...not using restore on the hive files.

-spence
Old 03-28-2007, 06:25 PM   #6
MrHunters
What was that!?!

to recover the files only you can do a "dirty" install which installs windows right over the last try. it does not delete old file as long as you don't format.

once you get the files off though Id to a clean install.... you don't want to be running dirty
Old 03-28-2007, 06:30 PM   #7
spence

Well, the installer says the user accounts would be deleted and the My Documents folders might get deleted. This is where the only unbacked up data is.

I'm installing to another location, hope to back up the data, then intend to flush the entire machine.

-spence
Old 03-28-2007, 06:32 PM   #8
spence

I'd also note that an attempted auto Restore did fail.

-spence
Old 03-28-2007, 07:14 PM   #9
MrHunters
What was that!?!

auto restores are a joke IMO.

ive never had an accounts files get deleted from a dirty install but better be safe than sorry.

good luck spence.... looks like your in the clear.
Old 03-28-2007, 07:28 PM   #10
spence

I think I'm in the clear...I've got my external 2X Layer DVD Rom burning iTunes and all the other data.

Aside from any device problems with the CD/DVD drive as before...should be back to normal by morning...

-spence