Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Sports Talk - Title Town

Sports Talk - Title Town Sports Talk - Our Home for the 2004/2007 World Champion Red Sox, Super Bowl XXXVI, XXXVIII, XXXIX Champion Patriots! SEVENTEEN TIME NBA Champion Boston Celtics, 2011 winners of Lord Stanley's Cup Boston Bruins!!!

Old 04-14-2005, 08:57 PM   #1
tynan19
Stuck In Reality

Fan and Sheffield

Any one see the fan try to swipe at Sheff. I don't think he even hit him. But boy did that piss off Sheffield. Well we scored 2 runs.
tynan19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2005, 09:00 PM   #2
Slipknot
Super Moderator

Didn't look like he hit him from the second angle. Maybe Sheffield over-reacted but ya gotta let the players play and stay away from the ball when it's on the field and in play.
Always a contraversy when the Yanks come to town
Slipknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2005, 09:12 PM   #3
tynan19
Stuck In Reality

I agree that was a pretty disgraceful fan. Even if he didn't hit him they have to stay out of the game. It was just said that the fan was arrested.
tynan19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2005, 09:39 PM   #4
Slipknot
Super Moderator

he was only ejected and rightfully so.
The ump however, should have ejected himself = pitiful
Old 04-14-2005, 10:21 PM   #5
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

Send a message via AIM to BigFish
Didn't anyone see the other fan throw his beer on Sheffield intentionally? Fans suck....all of them! Soon you will see no interaction between fans and players, there will be glass just like in hockey....idiots! Sheffield was within his rights as far as I am concerned!!!

Almost time to get our fish on!!!
BigFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2005, 06:09 AM   #6
kippy
Got Necco's?

I cant stand Sheffield but he did the right thing by not going after the guy..must be off the roids now

HAMMER TIME!
kippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2005, 06:33 AM   #7
Uncle Matt

Got to agree. Sheffield got upset, probably just the sportsman in him, but did not physically get into it with the fan. The fan is to blame and MLB has to provide a safe enviromentfor it's players, so look for some changes in the future. Maybe a rail, extend the wall up a few feet or remove the front row of seats. They got to do something. And either way, it will take away the "quantness" of some of the parks like Fenway.

"Love is like a snowmobile racing across the tundra then suddenly it flips over, pinning you underneath. At night, the ice weasels come."
Matt Groening, Life In Hell
Uncle Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2005, 08:02 AM   #8
likwid
lobster = striper bait

Send a message via AIM to likwid
The Yankees are OUTRAGED anyone would interfere with a game.

Ski Quicks Hole
likwid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2005, 08:35 AM   #9
Mike P
Jiggin' Leper Lawyer

Don't you think there a slight bit of difference between a 13 year old kid doing what comes naturally to a 13 year old kid, and a supposedly mature adult taking a poke at a ballplayer?

This Yankee/Red Sox nonsense is out of control and it's only April, for crissakes. And the papers here aren't helping---in fact, they're doing their best to pour gas on an already out-of-control fire.

Mark my words, they're gonna carry either a Sox or a Yank off the field on a stretcher this year due to fan idiocy.
Mike P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2005, 08:47 AM   #10
fishsmith
DDG-51

I think it'll be raining batteries at the Stadium for the next series.
fishsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2005, 08:48 AM   #11
likwid
lobster = striper bait

Send a message via AIM to likwid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike P
Don't you think there a slight bit of difference between a 13 year old kid doing what comes naturally to a 13 year old kid, and a supposedly mature adult taking a poke at a ballplayer?
Don't tell me someone 13 or 30 or 53 wouldn't have tried to catch the ball, fans will do what fans will do.

And if you ACTUALLY WATCH THE FOOTAGE OF THE FAN AND SHEFFIELD THE FAN WASN'T EVEN LOOKING AT SHEFFIELD AND REELED IN SHOCK WHEN HE WAS PUNCHED AND MOUTHED OUT "WHAT?!".

NY Post is doing a fine job of lying this morning.

A: No name was released
B: He wasn't arrested
C: It OBVIOUSLY wasn't malicious if you noticed how there was no need to hold him back yet Sheffield was on a roid rage trying to attack him?
D: Nice job with the wild throw then going back to attack the fan.
E: Torre is a whiny baby.
F: Worst umpire ever.

Ski Quicks Hole
likwid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2005, 08:56 AM   #12
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

As much as i hate the Yankees, that fan was a jack-ass. whether he hit him or not he took a swing at him and thats wrong. I thought sheffield showed a lot of restraint in not cold-cocking him.

And now because of that guy the rest of the country thinks that ALL Sox fans are like that.

On thing I thought was weird was that Torre didn't claim Fan Interference and put Veritek on second and bring Ortiz back to 3rd and make it a 2 run game instead of 3...just an observation

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
The Dad Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2005, 09:39 AM   #13
Cod Hunter

Fan is an idiot at least but did not deserve to be arrested at all so they handled it right. He wasn't even looking at Sheffield when we made the swipe.
Sheffield DID hit the fan, a 2 hander in fact, before even throwing the ball back into the infield.

Mark my words, we will NOT see a Sox or a Yankee taken off the field on a stretcher due to some idiot fan. GMAB it was 1 stupid, drunk fan from DOT acting like a complete jackazz. The fan that dumped the full beer on Sheff is an idiot too.
Cod Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2005, 10:45 AM   #14
fishsmith
DDG-51

Quote:
The fan that dumped the full beer on Sheff is an idiot too.
That guy is a spineless prick.
fishsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2005, 10:49 AM   #15
chief10
Gone Dark

that guy(fan) is a good friend of mine. poor s.o.b. he's got all the media trucks out in front of his house. I don't think he was right to put his hand over the railing, but he did and so did twenty other fans. that's just the way it is. Everybody wants a ball, look at Doug Flutie bringing his glove to game with his friends. not his kids!The guy who threw the beer , then fell down, then got up and grabbed the womans beer on the railing. that was stupid. sheffield is a hot head. I'm not completely sure if my buddys hand even touched his face. sheffields hat didn't move neither did his face. I'm sure I'll hear. Knowing chris and seeing his reaction it looked pretty innocent. the only punch thrown was by sheffield.
chief10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2005, 10:59 AM   #16
TBone

Quote:
ACTUALLY WATCH THE FOOTAGE OF THE FAN AND SHEFFIELD THE FAN WASN'T EVEN LOOKING AT SHEFFIELD
So apparently by your logic, I couldn't reach out and smack someone standing next to me without first looking in his direction...In my opinion if he was truly going after the ball and not intending to interfere, he would have leaned over the railing after the ball like all the fans to his left were.

What? No. We can't stop here. This is bat country. -HST
TBone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2005, 11:28 AM   #17
chief10
Gone Dark

tbone- I know you quoted someone else but, the point is he didn't try to punch the roid-raged sheffield.period. he went for the ball like everyone else. the fans on his left can only hang their arms over because the wall is 2 feet higher than where the incident occurred. I'm sure where he is sitting if you touch/go on the field you'll get arrested. Fan interference gets you booted from fenway.
p.s. what's the penalty for throwing batteries or car keys at yankee stadium??
chief10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2005, 11:36 AM   #18
TBone

All I was saying was he was looking to interfere...not hit Sheffield. And I'm not sure what the fine was back in the 80's for throwing batteries, but based on inflation I'd say it was a lot less than the fine for throwing garbage on the field in the '99 ALCS.

What? No. We can't stop here. This is bat country. -HST
TBone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2005, 04:00 PM   #19
Slipknot
Super Moderator

His name is Chris House, a season ticket holder, one time Curry College football coach before Steve Nelson. He's not talking and I don't blame him. It's anybody's speculation what really happened, one thing for sure-Sheffield should not have shoved back at the fan before completing the play, it may have cost a base atleast.

It better not rain batteries in the Bronx when the Sox play there next, if it does I hope the players leave the field and the umps call for control of the stadium, that kinda crap should not happen and those kind of fans should lose their tix.
Old 04-16-2005, 03:14 AM   #20
Raider Ronnie

Send a message via AIM to Raider Ronnie
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFish
Didn't anyone see the other fan throw his beer on Sheffield intentionally? Fans suck....all of them! Soon you will see no interaction between fans and players, there will be glass just like in hockey....idiots! Sheffield was within his rights as far as I am concerned!!!

There should be boards and glass like hockey!
Then if you ever see a play like A-rod going down the 1st base line, like last season in the playoffs, and he tries to slap the ball out of the 1st basemans glove,
that 1st baseman or another teamate can throw him a hipcheck into the boards and knock him into next week!

I miss hockey!!!
Raider Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2005, 07:17 AM   #21
Backbeach Jake

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishsmith
That guy is a spineless prick.
Cheap bastage,too. Iwatched that clip about two dozen times last night. Beer Guy took a huge swig just before he tossed it on Sheffield. Then fell down and took the woman with him. Shirt-faced idiot. Shoulda been thrown over the wall to appease the Yanks , but he disappears from the screen when Sheffield turns.
Backbeach Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2005, 07:49 AM   #22
afterhours
Afterhours Custom Plugs

in semi instantanious situations a persons true nature takes over. like the guy trying to get in a cheap shot( he would'nt dare take on scheff) or the puke with the beer( freehin' drunk had to make sure he downed half), take these morons tix away period. or as RR said put up glass boards- that might give a whole new meaning to the designated hitter

www.afterhoursplugs.com

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Afterh...428173?created

Instagram - afterhourscustom

Official S-B.com Sponsor

GAMEFISH NOW

"A GAMEFISH (WHICH STRIPED BASS SHOULD BE) IS TOO VALUABLE TO BE CAUGHT ONLY ONCE"...LEE WULFF
afterhours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2005, 08:35 AM   #23
PI guy

I myself am going to give the former Curry College football coach the benefit of the doubt. Considering the fact that he's a season ticket holder and probably paid alot for his tickets he most likely really loves the game. The way it looked to me was that he was looking down the line directing the other @#%$&*%$#@% fans that were going for the ball to stay away from it and that sally punk, steroid taking sissy Sheffield assumed that this guy took a swing at him. Can't fault Shef for assuming that, he's in Boston and everyone hates him here, but to see an athelete and a role model do that(and Shef did initially take a swing at this guy, they're both lucky he didn't connect) after that thug Ron Artest went into the stands this winter and beat up THE WRONG FAN, (he should have gone after the guy who wasted one of those 7 dollar beers) is absolutely unacceptable.
PI guy is offline   Reply With Quote