Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » The Scuppers

The Scuppers This is a new forum for the not necessarily fishing related topics...

Old 11-03-2004, 01:43 PM   #31
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Chris, I love Toads, I had some of my best times there. Good for you going out and seeing live music. More people need to do that.
RIJIMMY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2004, 02:30 PM   #32
Billybob

I don't think most of the people who listen to that crap know what they're missing. Even my kids like my music better than most of the popular stuff.
At least in my day, bands had to know how to play.You couldn't even name the lead guitarist for Brittney - but she is somewhat entertaining, for maybe a minute.
And whatever happened to the FEELIN MAN - I mean lyrics should mean something, a message from the soul

What about Nugent :"Here I come again now baby, like a dog in heat"
Or Zeppelin " Squeeze my lemon, til the juice runs down my leg"

This is some romantic sheet - you don't get that these days.

What happened to the love man?
Billybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2004, 02:54 PM   #33
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Or Zeppelin " Squeeze my lemon, til the juice runs down my leg"

Yeah, Zep saying that in @ 1970, RObert Johnson ( a black man) saying that back in the 30's
Some blues purists may view Zep stealing lyrics as bad as Ashely Lip synching
Old 11-03-2004, 03:09 PM   #34
Billybob

Now that's a fine line Jimmy, I guess it would depend on the intent. Is it stealing, or paying tribute? Rock is full of "borrowing" from it's blue roots weather it's lyrics or guitar riffs. On one hand it's a shame that guys like Howlin Wolf, John Lee Hooker or Robert Johnson probably died poor, while Clapton and Page etc all became millionaires based in no small part on their influence.
But, I don't think there was any disrespect or thievery - just the opposite actually.
Billybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2004, 03:44 PM   #35
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

I agree w/you Billy. Zep turned me on to a lot of roots blues.
Im just saying I know some hard core blues guys that look down on that
Old 11-03-2004, 03:52 PM   #36
reelecstasy
Boston Anglah

Location: Sitting on top of the world with my legs hangin free
DMB

Dave Matthews is the real deal, he has incredible talent as well as the guys that play with him..never any bs, just a jam band. Dave has powerful lyrics with great meaning...read the lyrics for "Say Goodbye" and so many others...

Used hard and put away dirty....
reelecstasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2004, 04:04 PM   #37
chris L

I heard Jerry garcia used to lip sink when he was too high . now I heard phil lesh took over lip sinking with the dead .
chris L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2004, 09:31 PM   #38
kippy
Got Necco's?

Just about everyone is lip syncing these days..even the older bands are doing it.

I concur..poison sucked!

HAMMER TIME!
kippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2004, 09:00 PM   #39
stormfish

Bob Dylan-"The man in me"

fish when you can is the way I do it man
stormfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2004, 09:24 AM   #40
Bass Nut
harrumpf!

Quote:
Originally posted by chris L
I heard Jerry garcia used to lip sink when he was too high . now I heard phil lesh took over lip sinking with the dead .
Garcia used teleprompters, I don't think he lip synched, towards the end, he was barely singing at all. Missed ques, wrong verses, just like in the early-mid 80's, but worse.

I wont go see The Dead. Phil, yes, but not in a while. He may be using teleprompters at this point, but I don't know.

Most 'entertainers' today are playing larger arenas that if they don't have strong vocals will need a 'boost'. It has been this way for years. The Stones used a second durmmer under the stage on the Steel Wheels Tour. U2 used a second guitarist off to the side of the stage playing rythym from 92 to now in nearly every stadium show since.

When a singer is not in fact singing, and is more or less mouthing to a recording. That is lip synching. I can see how Britney and the rest of the left over Mousekateers would have to lip sync, people are paying to see a show and this should be expected.

But if I shell out $$ to go see the Pixies, or Morrissey (both recently had shows in the area at smaller venues and were asking close to $80 bucks a pop for tickets. Both of which I had seen in the 80's for less than $20). They better not be lip synching, it is not expected, people are there for the music, not the coreographed dancing....

I guess it depends on who the 'artist' is and what the audience expects. Ashlee's problem is that she said publicly that she was against it and would never lip synch. She got caught.

Niiiiiiice Pic!

I had a box of animal crackers the other day. The box said 'do not eat if seal is broken.' I opened the box, the lion was OK, the elephant was OK, sure enough, the darn seal was broken.
Bass Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2004, 10:47 AM   #41
bart
Red Eye Jedi

Re: DMB

Quote:
Originally posted by reelecstasy
Dave Matthews is the real deal, he has incredible talent as well as the guys that play with him..never any bs, just a jam band. Dave has powerful lyrics with great meaning...read the lyrics for "Say Goodbye" and so many others...
i'm not knocking your liking of dave, but there are soooo many more talented jam bands out there. i don't even really consider dave to be a jamband, his older stuff maybe but his new stuff is too" pop" oriented.

best jambands: Disco Biscuits(my favorite), moe., SCI, Galactic, Sound Tribe, Widespread Panic, Lotus, the list goes on and on....

when i was in high school, which wasn't too long ago, all we did was go to shows(and rage after ). seen a ton of excellent improv that would blow Phish or Dave away anyday.....
bart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2004, 11:54 AM   #42
Bass Nut
harrumpf!

Re: Re: DMB

Quote:
Originally posted by bart
i'm not knocking your liking of dave, but there are soooo many more talented jam bands out there. i don't even really consider dave to be a jamband, his older stuff maybe but his new stuff is too" pop" oriented.

best jambands: Disco Biscuits(my favorite), moe., SCI, Galactic, Sound Tribe, Widespread Panic, Lotus, the list goes on and on....

when i was in high school, which wasn't too long ago, all we did was go to shows(and rage after ). seen a ton of excellent improv that would blow Phish or Dave away anyday.....
DMB, not a good jamband. They take it too far, and don't do it well at that. They were better before 96.

I've seen moe. many times starting in 97 and I have to say that I have lost interest in them. I have slast saw them in 2002 at the Fleet Pavillion and it was bad enough that I blew off the second show. The studio stuff is weak and the live shows dont do it any more, they too get lost in their jams. They do still pull a goodie out of nowhere now and again.

Phish, I saw over 50 shows. The best music played was in fall of 92 to fall of 98. 1999/2000 it was obvious they needed a break. The hiatus was good for them as a band but when they came back things were different. It was like getting your car back after it's been fixed after an accident, it's just not the same. You may not know what it is, but it is not the same.

I will say the last four shows were as good, if not best they had played in years.

I had a box of animal crackers the other day. The box said 'do not eat if seal is broken.' I opened the box, the lion was OK, the elephant was OK, sure enough, the darn seal was broken.
Old 11-05-2004, 01:18 PM   #43
bart
Red Eye Jedi

agreed that moe. has lost it. they play the same stuff every show. but you gotta admit moe. jams just as hard as anyone. anyone who's never seen them before would be blown away. seen em about 15 times or so, used to be my favorite.

you ever seen the biscuits? they're voices need help, but they are musical geniuses. plays songs backwards, inverted, all kinds of crazy stuff. will start a song one show finish the next tour. will play palindromes in a set. insane. seen em about 15 times as well but never get tired of them. i
bart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2004, 11:26 AM   #44
Bass Nut
harrumpf!

Never have seen the disco biscuits.

I got turned off to alot of jambands because I saw The Slip open for Jiggle the Handle a few years ago. At that point I decided that The Slip sucked so it was a bit of a turnoff to other bands. I would rather not waste my time.

I have seen String Cheese and Leftover Salmon and enjoyed them, and many many others, but I have also come across the likes of many bands that I would rather eat a dirty, used birkenstock than sit through again.