Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » The Scuppers

The Scuppers This is a new forum for the not necessarily fishing related topics...

Old 07-28-2004, 06:59 PM   #1
Mr. Sandman

need new digital camera

Well my dig camera crapped out ...it was a pretty good one that I had for 4.5 years and I put it thru some difficult conditions. It was a fuji finepix 4700.

It was a 4 .7 mega pixel camera that took great photos and used very little battery power. Eventually the gears that drove the lens out stripped and I was starting to have some funky errors now and then. After calling around dig cameras are basically disposable. The new ones are less then they cost of the repair in most cases. So, I tried to take it apart myself. These are very compacted and almost impossible to re-asemble if you are not a nano-technology buff. Needless to say it is history now.
My $600 camara I bought 4 years ago can be replaced today by a camera costing about $250.

It sucked not having it on my recent ch trip....I caught some impressive fish I would have liked to share with you

Anyway, I am thinking now if they make a more ruggedized dig camera...about 5 meg pix. Anyone ever hear of such a thing? If not, what do you guys like ...I plan on buying 2. One pocket point and shoot and one higher end SLR style. The more rugged the better.
Mr. Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2004, 05:20 AM   #2
islander

cannon rebel

I think my next camera will be a cannon rebel, I have a 3.2 pix cannon right now. The rebel is 6.3 and will use all my SLR lens which will be nice. I t will be nice to take pictures with the big zoom. Price is about 899.00.
islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2004, 07:23 AM   #3
likwid
lobster = striper bait

Send a message via AIM to likwid
A: Canon Digital Rebel, decent digital SLR, with the best lenses in the world available to it.

B: Kodak made an armored DX series camera for a while but seem to have not bothered to update it and discontinued it.
Only other people that seem to make an armored digicam is Sony, but its a gimpy little 2mp camera thats kinda funny looking.

I'd say just get a powershot series or something and keep it in a dry bag/or armored Lowe Pro bag at all times, all my cameras are kept in Lowe Pros and I've never killed any of em.

Ski Quicks Hole
likwid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2004, 07:32 AM   #4
spence

I'd love an SLR style digital. I bought a Canon Powershot G2 a while ago and can't be happier. Doesn't have the glass of a SLR size lens, but size/performance it does a great job.

-spence
spence is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2004, 09:01 AM   #5
bloocrab
Callinectes sapidus

Quote:
Originally posted by likwid
...B: Kodak made an armored DX series camera for a while but seem to have not bothered to update it and discontinued it.
I have the Kojak DC5000 and let me tell ya....it's rugged. It's been dropped a number of times, but best of all...it was fully submerged for at least a minute....still works like new...doesn't eat battery life too fast...it's not the cutest or smallest camera....but DEFINATELY the best out-door camera in circulation... Well, used to be in circulation, now your best bet is ebay etc...etc...

...it finally happened, there are no more secret spots
bloocrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2004, 09:06 AM   #6
Mr. Sandman

what about something like this for the boat?
http://www7.ritzcamera.com/product/13162051

Thanks for that cannon rebel tip, that looks like quite a camera! I wonder if I can use my old 35mm lenses with that?

Last edited by Mr. Sandman; 07-30-2004 at 09:16 AM..
Old 07-30-2004, 09:15 AM   #7
Christian
viva the plug-o-lution

Send a message via AIM to Christian
ive got a power shot. its nice

live to fish. fish to live. rod tips high.
Christian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2004, 09:43 AM   #8
likwid
lobster = striper bait

GF has a Pentax 1200K film camera and she swears by it.
I'd handle it before buying it online if you can.

Ski Quicks Hole
Old 07-30-2004, 09:50 AM   #9
Mr. Sandman

It's a pain for me to handle anything..I buy 95% of my stuff online blind...most of the time I have been happy with my purchases. Personally I find a good web site is better then a shop keeper who doesn't really know his products.
I may head over to west marine and swing by a camera store and take a peek.
Old 07-30-2004, 11:34 AM   #10
RockLobsta

Send a message via AIM to RockLobsta
Look at the Nikon D70........

superfast shutter and will except slr lenses.....
RockLobsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2004, 12:00 PM   #11
Slipknot
Super Moderator

I have a cannon power shot S400 but the better quality S500 is now less than I paid for my 400.

check this link, they also have the 400 for $299.

http://www.pricegrabber.com/search_n...+s+500&found=0
Slipknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2004, 12:20 PM   #12
likwid
lobster = striper bait

Would you marry a woman you never got to erm.... "test drive"?

Ski Quicks Hole
Old 07-30-2004, 01:42 PM   #13
Mr. Sandman

I am looking into this now... (for the point and shoot) canon S60
http://www.pricegrabber.com/search_g...=Canon%2520S60
You can get the optional watertight case that is good for 100' (operating). This might add some life to the abuse it gets onboard.

re "Would you marry a woman you never got to erm.... "test drive"? "
depends how big her boat is!
Old 07-30-2004, 01:55 PM   #14
likwid
lobster = striper bait

touche

Ski Quicks Hole
Old 08-01-2004, 08:24 PM   #15
Van
zoom

Nikon Lenses blow away any of the competition out there.
At work we have 4 digitals, all Nikon all have Nikkor lenses. We also just bought the newest model nikon 8900 i think a couple of weeks ago, I can check at work tomorrow. It is unbeliveable. 8MegaP..

I also own a small nikon coolpix that fits in my shirt pocket. Not a pro model like we use at work, but superb quality. Go to froogle.com and type in the model you want, make sure any camera you get has the US warranty.

~..~..~.. ><((((º>
Things done at the last possible minute are done with the greatest possible information. Procrastination is, therefore, the most efficient means of doing things.
Van is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2004, 12:10 PM   #16
Mr. Sandman

Van,

I was considering the Cannon rebel (6.3mp) $750 w/lens which was in that same league. I imagine boat are great cameras...but taking alook at the coolpix 8700 (8 MP )...they are offering a 200 buck rebate and there are some online places selling it for 750 minus rebate = 550..this is an amazing price (considing what I paid for my 4.7 mp camera 4 years ago.)

What is the file size of the jpeg of an 8 mp camera? You must need a 2 GB storage drive!
Old 08-02-2004, 12:21 PM   #17
Van
zoom

Oh yea I just checked,,,, ours is the 8700 coolpix.

You don't need to use all that capabilty, we set the image size around 1200-1600 so it does not take up too much flash card space. You still do good with at least a 256 card.

That price sounds good, we paid about 700$.
Watch the deal your getting as I said before, make sure it is the US model with the US warranty, not the European model.
It may be more $$ for the US though.

The best thing about that camera is when u use it outdoors (Boat) it always hard to see the small screen., But on the 8700 when you look into the eye viewfinder, you are looking at another LCD screen inside. IT is Swheet.

~..~..~.. ><((((º>
Things done at the last possible minute are done with the greatest possible information. Procrastination is, therefore, the most efficient means of doing things.
Van is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2004, 12:29 PM   #18
Mr. Sandman

I just ordered a point and shoot canon power shot S60 (6mp) with a waterproof case good to 130' for the boat. (this way when I sink I can take photos for the insurance co )

I still want to get an SLR type for some larger format stuff with a better zoom then you can get from pockets. I would be leary to take this on my boat...without a kickass case.
Old 08-02-2004, 07:50 PM   #19
RockLobsta

Send a message via AIM to RockLobsta
Look at the Nikon D70........
RockLobsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2004, 09:13 AM   #20
Mr. Sandman

Well after reading all of the reviews of the Nikon D70, coolpix 8700, Canon 300D rebel, and a few others in that ball park.....

I am going with the canon 300D rebel. The D70 is probably the best of the lot but it is I think a little beyond my needs at the moment. (Frankly they all seem more then adaquate for my needs and all the test images I have seen look great!)

I plan to get the kit lens along with an extra canon standard 28-200 zoom, that along with the storage and misc other acc's will put me just above my budget for this item. I am still questioning if I should opt for the 70- 300mm telephoto zoom instead of the 28-200 but thats about it.

Thanks to everyone for your inputs.... In a couple weeks I should be taking some kickbutt photos again...

BTW, be warned about a few of those ultra low priced websites that come up in those searches...many of them are "OEM" cameras that come with NOTHING...no cables, no software, no battery, ect...just the bare shell. If you want that stuff...make sure you get the retail kit. Some of these sites bait you in with that then call you and tell you that after you oder the item, then get you to purchase the retail package as a cost that is no better then anyplace else.

Last edited by Mr. Sandman; 08-05-2004 at 09:19 AM..
Old 08-13-2004, 06:59 AM   #21
Mr. Sandman

Well, I have had the cannon S60 point and shoot now for a several days now and it is pretty nice. The picture quality is very good. Slightly better then my older Fuji but I think the fuji did better when zommed in or in the dark. No matter, very happy with it. One of the reasons I picked this model was the waterproof clamshell like case that is good to 130'. This thing is awesome. I have taken a few test shots with it and it is kewl! I want to jump over the side with it (when someone else is onboard) and take some shots!

The SLR style arrived today....cannon E300D. This is quite a camera. I also ordered the image stabilizer zoom lens. This is going to be a fun weekend. I hope to take some nice fishing shots this fall.

(for xmas I need a new computer with loads of disk space and a wide format printer)

Pretty much pissed away the day with this 300D rebel. I really like it. I am going to take some kick ass pics this fall.

Last edited by Mr. Sandman; 08-13-2004 at 06:51 PM..