Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 10-11-2021, 08:49 AM   #1
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete F. View Post
I think the filibuster should end, the Founders clearly rejected having a supermajority requirement for legislation.

The Supreme Court was stacked by McConnell in a concerted multi year effort, I would much rather see a divided court than a clear majority for either wing. Hopefully the current justices will rise to their position.
Ideally I would see the SC justices have a limited term, I forget the math but it works I think with 15 or 18 years where each term the president would pick a number of justices.
I would rather see them start at 60 than 40, next thing you know they will be selected at birth like the Dalai Lama.

I think it is time for a few new states, Puerto Rico and DC would work just as well as North and South Dakota did.

When the USSR collapsed in 1991, I remember thinking how odd it was that one of the world’s 2 superpowers could collapse just like that. No one should think that that can’t happen here.

McConnell followed the Biden Rule to a t. he did precisely what Biden suggested should be done if a president tried making a late term appointment. but you didn’t care when biden suggested it, did you? hmmm?

how many times do you have to step on a rake and take it in the face like a Hanna Barbera cartoon character, before you learn to watch your step?
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Old 10-11-2021, 09:22 AM   #2
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
McConnell followed the Biden Rule to a t. he did precisely what Biden suggested should be done if a president tried making a late term appointment. but you didn’t care when biden suggested it, did you? hmmm?

how many times do you have to step on a rake and take it in the face like a Hanna Barbera cartoon character, before you learn to watch your step?
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Once again you prove that you only listen to rhetoric and ignore facts.

Biden's floor speech was on June 25, 1992, more than three months later in the election cycle than McConnell's.

There was no Supreme Court vacancy to fill.

There was no nominee to consider.

The Senate never took a vote to adopt a rule to delay consideration of a nominee until after the election.

Nonetheless, Biden took to the floor in a speech addressing the Senate president to urge delay if a vacancy did appear. But he didn't argue for a delay until the next president began his term, as McConnell is doing. He said the nomination process should be put off until after the election, which was on Nov. 3, 1992.

Many of Biden's words echo the state of Washington today:

"Given the unusual rancor that prevailed in the (Clarence) Thomas nomination, the need for some serious reevaluation of the nomination and confirmation process, and the overall level of bitterness that sadly infects our political system and this presidential campaign already, it is my view that the prospects for anything but conflagration with respect to a Supreme Court nomination this year are remote at best."

He noted that among the previous seven nominations, two were not confirmed and two passed with strong opposition.

"In my view, politics has played far too large a role in the Reagan-Bush nominations to date. One can only imagine that role becoming overarching if a choice were made this year, assuming a justice announced tomorrow that he or she was stepping down.

"Should a justice resign this summer and the president move to name a successor, actions that will occur just days before the Democratic Presidential Convention and weeks before the Republican Convention meets, a process that is already in doubt in the minds of many will become distrusted by all. Senate consideration of a nominee under these circumstances is not fair to the president, to the nominee, or to the Senate itself.

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Niles: You have met “people”, haven’t you?

Lets Go Darwin