Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Main Forum » StriperTalk!

StriperTalk! All things Striper

Old 04-08-2011, 07:35 PM   #1
chefchris401
Chris Blouin

SS Siwash Hook

Anyone know what siwash hook super strike is using on their special plugs?

I heard it was the 9510 stainless steel, but the mustad site says its only a 3x, misprint maybe.

the hooks are super heavy duty.

Thanks guys,

Chef

STORMR Pro Staff Member
chefchris401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 09:21 PM   #2
late-start

Send them an email, I'm sure they'll respond.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
late-start is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 07:20 AM   #3
tattoobob
Soggy Bottom Boy

Super strike on face book, you can ask Steve right there and he usually responds pretty quickly

Surfcasting Full Throttle

Don't judge me Monkey

Recreational Surfcaster 99.9% C&R
tattoobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 09:27 AM   #4
ivanputski
Pete K.

Is it just me, or do SS needles have two different profile shapes? I have some needles that have a football-like shape (top curve mirrors the bottom curve) while others have almost a straight/flat back, and the belly is curved. Anyone notice this? Is it done for a reason? I have noticed it over the years, so it is not just one. I have also noticed that one tends to out fish the other, but I wont say which is the top producer for me just yet.
ivanputski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 02:58 PM   #5
luds
Night Stalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanputski View Post
Is it just me, or do SS needles have two different profile shapes? I have some needles that have a football-like shape (top curve mirrors the bottom curve) while others have almost a straight/flat back, and the belly is curved. Anyone notice this? Is it done for a reason? I have noticed it over the years, so it is not just one. I have also noticed that one tends to out fish the other, but I wont say which is the top producer for me just yet.
I think it's just how they come out of the mold. Some are different than others. I think I remember bassmaster and flaptail talking about heating up the nose of the plug and bending it up. You could probably manipulate the shape yourself if you want to but I bet it's fine either way.

Chef Chris. Remember the old 7/O or 8/0 strainless vmc hooks that were out a few years ago? Those were some of the strongest looking siwash hooks I've ever seen. I had more than a few large Hab's needles come back in missing the tail hook. Just saying that looks are definitely not eveything. I'd recommend testing the strength of the eye before buying in completely on those.

luds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 03:39 PM   #6
tattoobob
Soggy Bottom Boy

The eye of a SS Siwash hook is very brittle and have no give to them and snap very easy

Surfcasting Full Throttle

Don't judge me Monkey

Recreational Surfcaster 99.9% C&R
tattoobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 03:59 PM   #7
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

go w/ Mustad tinned......

Bryan

Originally Posted by #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&
"For once I agree with Spence. UGH. I just hope I don't get the urge to go start buying armani suits to wear in my shop"
RIROCKHOUND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 04:35 PM   #8
GattaFish
Great White Scup Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tattoobob View Post
The eye of a SS Siwash hook is very brittle and have no give to them and snap very easy

X2.... with emphasis on very,,,
GattaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 07:09 AM   #9
jbuck

It is a 9510xxxs mustad
jbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 07:43 AM   #10
Mike P
Jiggin' Leper Lawyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GattaFish View Post
X2.... with emphasis on very,,,
X3.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools, because they have to say something.
Mike P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 08:04 AM   #11
Rob Rockcrawler

Chef Chris. Remember the old 7/O or 8/0 strainless vmc hooks that were out a few years ago? Those were some of the strongest looking siwash hooks I've ever seen. I had more than a few large Hab's needles come back in missing the tail hook. Just saying that looks are definitely not eveything. I'd recommend testing the strength of the eye before buying in completely on those.[/QUOTE]

I was looking for a few of those hooks a couple of years ago. The hooks that came on the Hab's Night n Gales looked awesome. I never got a large on them and didnt have the hooks break. I didnt know that was an issue, good to know. They sure did look like some tough bastards.

Everything is better on the rocks.
Rob Rockcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 08:43 AM   #12
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbuck View Post
It is a 9510xxxs mustad
Pfft..
what do you know about tail hooks.

Bryan

Originally Posted by #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&
"For once I agree with Spence. UGH. I just hope I don't get the urge to go start buying armani suits to wear in my shop"
RIROCKHOUND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 09:27 AM   #13
chefchris401
Chris Blouin

I was just wondering, on plugs I fish with a siwash on the rear I go with 6/0 or 7/0 vmc.

The siwash hooks on the new ss stuff looked great and was interested in trying them out, but will probably stick to what I know.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
chefchris401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 01:51 PM   #14
JackK
Not Jack

Chris,

I use the SS Mustad 95170 with great success. Super strong, but they do need to be sharpened out of the package. Don't really trust the VMC siwashes. I can bring a few down to the SWE next weekend if you want to check them out.
JackK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 08:02 AM   #15
Mr. Sandman

You will just need to change out the VMC's often...they will rust out. The Stainless are nice if you put a nice buck tail or feather on. I would not get the open eye, just get the closed eye and use a slip ring.

I miss the Stainless Eagle Claw Siwash.
Mr. Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 09:26 AM   #16
wader-dad

Quote:
Pete- Billy D had 2 Super Strike needles on the table at Surf Day. They were identical bodies except on one the hooks were out of the top and the other the hooks out of the bottom. Crazy- one the belly shape curved on the bottom and the other on the top- exact same body. I would ask Billy if he asked Don or Steve Musso about it.
wader-dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 02:13 PM   #17
DZ

Quote:
The wire in SS needles doesn't go straight through the middle of the needle body. It is designed and meant to be curved along the plugs back. Sometimes during the process of the plastic cooling the wire tends to want to pull down both ends of the plug giving it a banana shape. Easily rectified by bending the back "slighlty" towards the belly - you'll hear the wire crack as it releases from the plastic. For safety sake remove hooks before bending plug. Of course you could just want to fish that banana shaped plug as it just might be what the bass want. "Hey what are you using?" "Just a SS 1 3/4 ounce yellow banana shaped needle - the bass don't seem to want the straight ones tonight."

DZ

DZ
Recreational Surfcaster
"Limit Your Kill - Don't Kill Your Limit"

Bi + Ne = SB 2

If you haven't heard of the Snowstorm Blitz of 1987 - you someday will.
DZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 07:17 PM   #18
pbadad

The needle Wadre dad is referring to is that the hook holes seem to be molded on the top. nose curved up. Hey it could be a "niche, riding higher????

Billy D.
pbadad is offline   Reply With Quote