Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » The Scuppers

The Scuppers This is a new forum for the not necessarily fishing related topics...

Old 02-28-2006, 11:55 AM   #1
Swimmer
Retired Surfer

SEWER OUTFALL PIPE

I was just reading a Raider Ronnie post about what fish you like to eat, and I think it was fishpart who posted his favortie fish to eat by starting out "from cape cod bay" and I started to wonder about the outfall pipe. I know it ten miles out where it spews forth the pure poop, but has anybody noticed anything at all in regard to this. I thought once they started pumping the regurgitated stuff through the pipe water clarity might change. Or we might see ceratin articles floating about, such as tampons or safe sex devices. But no one here or in the papers or anywhere else has mentioned one thing. So the poop plant must be working o.k. so far. Anyone know otherwise?

Swimmer a.k.a. YO YO MA
Serial Mailbox Killer/Seal Fisherman
Swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 12:24 PM   #2
capesams
Really Old & Really Grumpy

when you dump that much fresh water into salt day after day 24/7...it's got to be making something out there ,,,like red tide/ mung...it's said it's made dead zones,,where no fish or anything else can live.

BOAT fish do count.
capesams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 01:11 PM   #3
MakoMike

Quote:
Originally Posted by capesams
when you dump that much fresh water into salt day after day 24/7...it's got to be making something out there ,,,like red tide/ mung...it's said it's made dead zones,,where no fish or anything else can live.
I doubt any impact is simpply due to the fresh water. whatever water comes out of the pipe has got to be a mere fraction of what the average river dumps into the sea.

****MakoMike****

Http://www.Makomania.net

Official S-B Sponsor
MakoMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 02:13 PM   #4
Goose

I would guess that that water has been treated. There are two sewer out flows that I know of in buzzards bay, as you approach the out flow there is a huge boil on the surface, maybe 20' in diameter. the water is clear there is no visible form of polution. Those out flows have been in place for along tme. I assume they are safe.
Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 04:10 PM   #5
whiplash
Sand pounder

Bubbler fish

I don't know about dead zones around the bubblers but the old Boston flounder fleets depended on them. Fatest flounders closest to the bubbler. Boy am I glad I didn't know then what I know now.
whiplash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 09:25 AM   #6
beamie

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiplash
I don't know about dead zones around the bubblers but the old Boston flounder fleets depended on them. Fatest flounders closest to the bubbler. Boy am I glad I didn't know then what I know now.
Exactly,

I remember when I was a kid some of the best flounder fishing was Faun Bar.....downstream of Deer Island and Quincy Bay next to the Nut Islan plant. So you have to ask yourself did it really affect them much or was it something else? It must have been a great food source for them, the chemicals...Chlorine I am sure was not good and maybe they were over-chlorinating more than really necessary, who knows. But like I said, those were some of the best spots around.

Jon, 24' Nauset-Green Topsides, Beamie, North River. Channel 68/69. MSBA, NIBA
beamie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 05:57 AM   #7
stripercrazy
Hernia Pikie Maker

I wish I had a buck for every striper I've caught in the sewer discharge

being a sewer worker I've fished the seekonk river %$%$%$%$ shute for years and they don't care, we put 25 million gallons a day into the river(treated) sewer water is 99% water

its no ones fault
stripercrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 09:54 AM   #8
Swimmer
Retired Surfer

Thanks

Thank you for the answers everyone. I know there are numerous pipes now and I never heard any complaining, so I figured most of if not all of the plants must be working well.

Swimmer a.k.a. YO YO MA
Serial Mailbox Killer/Seal Fisherman
Swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote