Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 12-06-2010, 04:25 PM   #1
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

Well, she is certainly showing her POTUS credentials on next week's episode when she takes Kate Goslin (THAT Kat Goslin) and her brood camping.. Seriously? What's next? Fishing with Snooki and The Situation?

Bryan

Originally Posted by #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&
"For once I agree with Spence. UGH. I just hope I don't get the urge to go start buying armani suits to wear in my shop"
Old 12-06-2010, 04:54 PM   #2
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIROCKHOUND View Post
Well, she is certainly showing her POTUS credentials on next week's episode when she takes Kate Goslin (THAT Kat Goslin) and her brood camping.. Seriously? What's next? Fishing with Snooki and The Situation?
Let me get this straight, I want to make sure I understand. A TV show that shows what a close-knit family the Palins are, that takes place in thwe outdoors, is un-presidential. OK, I actually agree with that.

How about a guy who sits in Rev Wright's church for 20 years? A guy who has a political fundraiser hosted by an admitted, unrepentent terrorist, who put pipe bombs in police cars?

Please tell us how those thiings are more presidential than what Palin is doing.
Old 12-07-2010, 09:39 PM   #3
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
How about a guy who sits in Rev Wright's church for 20 years? A guy who has a political fundraiser hosted by an admitted, unrepentent terrorist, who put pipe bombs in police cars?

Please tell us how those thiings are more presidential than what Palin is doing.
Agree, reality TV bothering bears in the wild is akin to talking about Jesus. Excellent point...

-spence
Old 12-08-2010, 08:56 AM   #4
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
Agree, reality TV bothering bears in the wild is akin to talking about Jesus. Excellent point...

-spence
That is the single most ridiculous Internet post I have aver read, and boy that's saying somehting.

Spence, you really, REALLY think that all Rev Wright did was "talk about Jesus"?

When he claimed that the US Government invented the AIDS virus with the specific intent of eliminating blacks from the face of the Earth, where was the Jesus reference?

When he referred to our country as "the U.S. of KKK", where was the Jesus reference?

When he said that we got what we deserved on 09/11 (when he said Americans chickens simply came home to roost that day), where was the Jesus reference?

If all Wright did was talk about Jesus, I don't think it would have been an issue.

"talking about Jesus". That makes about as much sense as boiling down Osama Bin Laden's life mission to merely "talking about Allah, nothing more".

Spence, have you been painting inside with the windows shut? You need to open the windows a bit.

How old are you? Does your Mommy know you're on the Internet?
Old 12-08-2010, 01:43 PM   #5
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

Quote:
When he said that we got what we deserved on 09/11 (when he said Americans chickens simply came home to roost that day), where was the Jesus reference?

How old are you? Does your Mommy know you're on the Internet?

I can't pass this one up. I know there is a lot of negative, potentially racist comments said by Wright, and make no attempt to justify or applaud/condemn them. BUT... this one was such a talking point with the "Obama hates America crowd' that I can't not paste this. I will add, that as a full blown Agnostic, former Catholic, I know many people who sit in the Catholic church every Sunday but do not believe or agree with every single statement said by the priest/minister, and suspect that is the same for many people of many faiths. However, as an Obama supporter in '08, I don't like the fact, that he just didn't switch churches, however I suspect it was a political move to not lose his base when he was running in Chicago.

As far as it being a tired thread, it has been discussed here in previous posts, and I didn't want to rehash my arguments. Whats next? Birth certificates?

Spence just turned 40. I know because there was a surprise party his former fishing partners 9since he doesn't actually fish anymore) weren't invited to

Below was pasted from a Op-ed by Roland Martin, CNN. Bold emphasis added by me.

"I have now actually listened to the sermon Rev. Wright gave after September 11 titled, "The Day of Jerusalem's Fall." It was delivered on Sept. 16, 2001.
ALT TEXT

One of the most controversial statements in this sermon was when he mentioned "chickens coming home to roost." He was actually quoting Edward Peck, former U.S. Ambassador to Iraq and deputy director of President Reagan's terrorism task force, who was speaking on FOX News. That's what he told the congregation.

He was quoting Peck as saying that America's foreign policy has put the nation in peril:

"I heard Ambassador Peck on an interview yesterday did anybody else see or hear him? He was on FOX News, this is a white man, and he was upsetting the FOX News commentators to no end, he pointed out, a white man, an ambassador, he pointed out that what Malcolm X said when he was silenced by Elijah Mohammad was in fact true, he said Americas chickens, are coming home to roost.”"

I guess Edward peck hates America too....

Bryan

"For once I agree with Spence. UGH. I just hope I don't get the urge to go start buying armani suits to wear in my shop"
Old 12-08-2010, 02:00 PM   #6
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIROCKHOUND View Post
I can't pass this one up. I know there is a lot of negative, potentially racist comments said by Wright, and make no attempt to justify or applaud/condemn them. BUT... this one was such a talking point with the "Obama hates America crowd' that I can't not paste this. I will add, that as a full blown Agnostic, former Catholic, I know many people who sit in the Catholic church every Sunday but do not believe or agree with every single statement said by the priest/minister, and suspect that is the same for many people of many faiths. However, as an Obama supporter in '08, I don't like the fact, that he just didn't switch churches, however I suspect it was a political move to not lose his base when he was running in Chicago.

As far as it being a tired thread, it has been discussed here in previous posts, and I didn't want to rehash my arguments. Whats next? Birth certificates?

Spence just turned 40. I know because there was a surprise party his former fishing partners 9since he doesn't actually fish anymore) weren't invited to

Below was pasted from a Op-ed by Roland Martin, CNN. Bold emphasis added by me.

"I have now actually listened to the sermon Rev. Wright gave after September 11 titled, "The Day of Jerusalem's Fall." It was delivered on Sept. 16, 2001.
ALT TEXT

One of the most controversial statements in this sermon was when he mentioned "chickens coming home to roost." He was actually quoting Edward Peck, former U.S. Ambassador to Iraq and deputy director of President Reagan's terrorism task force, who was speaking on FOX News. That's what he told the congregation.

He was quoting Peck as saying that America's foreign policy has put the nation in peril:

"I heard Ambassador Peck on an interview yesterday did anybody else see or hear him? He was on FOX News, this is a white man, and he was upsetting the FOX News commentators to no end, he pointed out, a white man, an ambassador, he pointed out that what Malcolm X said when he was silenced by Elijah Mohammad was in fact true, he said Americas chickens, are coming home to roost.”"

I guess Edward peck hates America too....
ROCKHOUND -

"this one was such a talking point with the "Obama hates America crowd'"

I'm part of that crowd. Obama's spiritual mentor for 20 years, Rev Wright, is a deranged racist who clearly hates this country.

Obama's political mentor, Bill Ayers, is a deranged would-be mass-murderer who clearly hates this country.

Obama's wife said, after he got the nomination, that for the first time in her adult life, she was proud of her country.

If Obama's lifelong pastor, political mentor, and wife clearly have major issues with this country, is it unreasonable to assume he agrees with that sentiment? Throw in his European speech tours where all he did was apologize for all of America's faults, and it gives me more reason to doubt his love for a country, a country for which I buried 2 teenagers who were killed under my command in Iraq.

"I know many people who sit in the Catholic church every Sunday but do not believe or agree with every single statement said by the priest/minister"

I'm a lifelong devout Catholic. I've been to Mass between 30 and 50 times a year for the last 25 years. I have never heard any parish priest consistently say anything as remotely offensive as what that kook preached. So if you want to compare the Catholic faith, to which I have dedicated much of my adult life, to black liberation theology, please provide some support. Otherwise please admit that those 2 "religions" are not remotely comparable. One is based on love and truth, one is based on hate and lies.

"I suspect it was a political move to not lose his base when he was running in Chicago. "

You may be right. And if you are right (that Obama didn't like what Wright was saying, but he wanted people to THINK he liked it), what does that say about Obama?

Either Obama agrees with that crap, or he was pretending to agree with that crap for political gain. There simply is not a third alternative, and both choices say something awful about the man.

If John McCain sat in at Klan rallies for 20 years, but he was just "pretending" to be a member so those guys would vote for him, you'd be OK with that?

"Whats next? Birth certificates? "

I never claimed he wasn't born here. I hate the man, but my hatred is based on truthful things about him, not made up stuff.

"I guess Edward peck hates America too"

I don't know who he is, so I have no basis to conclude anything...

Last edited by Jim in CT; 12-08-2010 at 02:13 PM..
Old 12-08-2010, 02:10 PM   #7
scottw

Quote:
ROCKHOUND -

"I guess Edward peck hates America too"

I don't know who he is, so I have no basis to conclude anything...
or Roland Martin for that matter...dosen't he have a fishing show on tv?...as an expert on the much maligned cut and paste.. let me say, thanks Bryan, for the most nonsensical cut and paste since the Great Depression...
Old 12-08-2010, 02:13 PM   #8
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

Quote:
One is based on love and truth, one is based on hate and lies.
I started typing a snarky comment about religion here, but I respect people's beliefs and right to believe what they want, so I am not going to make a joke. In a personal setting it might be humorous, online it is out of context.... My wife's family is DEVOUT catholic, and some of my family is. I respect your beliefs.

Are they comparable? Change my wording to Mormon, or Pentecostal, I don't care, the premise is the same. Do you believe 100% with your religion no questions asked and no disagreements? Do you stay in the church. I am not justifying some of the racial comments made, but I did provide context about the 9/11 line and you didn't even acknowledge that you brought it up out of context. I left out the link by mistake before. It is below.

As far as your time in Iraq, I have more than once responded to your post, with the fact that I 110% respect your service to your country, period.

Quote:
Either Obama agrees with that crap, or he was pretending to agree with it for political gain.
I think it's the latter. In this land of the separation of Church and State, the fact remains that an Agnostic or Atheist can't get elected president, and people pander and pretend. I believe that 100%. I don't know Obama's actual personal religions beliefs, and I don't care. I don't dislike Sarah Palin or GW Bush for their religious belief, but it does heavily influence their politics. Religion is unfortunately a political issue. Catholic, Baptist, Aqua Buddha... it is a big issues.

http://ac360.blogs.cnn.com/2008/03/2...ts-911-sermon/

Last edited by RIROCKHOUND; 12-08-2010 at 02:19 PM..

Bryan