Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 07-16-2019, 11:19 AM   #1
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS View Post
I think some may not understand why telling an African American to go back to your country is racist.
you’re right. i dont see why it’s racist, he didn’t mention their color, and as you guys have pointed out, trump has a long history of being a vindictive baby to everyone who disagrees with him, regardless of color.

put it this way, if they were all white women from albania, do you have any reason to believe he wouldn’t have said the same thing?

it can only be racist, if his reaction was triggered by their race. i believe his reaction had nothing to do with their race, and everything to do with the fact that he can’t handle criticism.

Paul, is it always racism, when a white person treats a black person poorly? can it ever just be garden variety jerkiness?

despite what liberals clearly believe, it is possible to be obnoxious to a black person, and not be a racist, especially if one is equally obnoxious across the racial spectrum.

Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Last edited by Jim in CT; 07-16-2019 at 11:32 AM..
Old 07-16-2019, 11:49 AM   #2
PaulS

Telling Blacks to leave this country has been a racist statement for many years so to Blacks it is a loaded statement. Google the phrase and see how blacks and Latinos have been taunted by it for years.

"Americans as early as the founding generation believed whiteness was a prerequisite for the exercise of republican virtue. Before the Civil War, there was a decades-long movement to send free and freed blacks back to Africa based on the theory that black people were unfit for and incompatible with democratic life. America’s most restrictive immigration laws were rooted in the idea this was, as the popular 19th-century phrase had it, a “white man’s country,” inherently threatened by the presence of nonwhites and non-Anglo-Saxons, not to mention women."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
you’re right. i dont see why it’s racist, he didn’t mention their color, and as you guys have pointed out, trump has a long history of being a vindictive baby to everyone who disagrees with him, regardless of color.

put it this way, if they were all white women from albania, do you have any reason to believe he wouldn’t have said the same thing?

it can only be racist, if his reaction was triggered by their race. i believe his reaction had nothing to do with their race, and everything to do with the fact that he can’t handle criticism.

Paul, is it always racism, when a white person treats a black person poorly? can it ever just be garden variety jerkiness? of course it could be a jerk statement but if you don't love this country, then go back to your country is a loaded statement to blacks - not to me - to blacks. Just like telling me I'm acting like a monkey isn't that big of a deal to me to but to a black it is.

despite what liberals clearly believe, it is possible to be obnoxious to a black person, and not be a racist, especially if one is equally obnoxious across the racial spectrum.

NM
Old 07-16-2019, 12:15 PM   #3
PaulS

Shelley Jackson was 7 years old the first time she heard it.

In the early 1970s, Ms. Jackson was among a group of 40 black children who were bused from one side of Los Angeles to integrate a majority-white school across town. One day, a playground squabble ended in a white classmate telling her to go back to Africa.

“That day was the first day that I became aware that maybe we weren’t supposed to be there,” Ms. Jackson, who was born in California, said in an interview, “or that wasn’t our place.”

On Sunday, President Trump used a version of a well-worn insult to tell four congresswomen to “go back and help fix the totally broken and crime infested places from which they came. Then come back and show us how it is done.” All but one are American-born, but all are women of color.

The president’s words reflected a love-it-or-leave-it sentiment that experts say has animated a sense of xenophobia since the dawn of the republic.

But fresh examples persist. Along with more than 4,800 other people who wrote to The New York Times to share their own experiences with the phrase in the hours since Mr. Trump wrote it on Twitter, Ms. Jackson said his words served as a cutting reminder for scores of people who had encountered some version of that phrase throughout their lives, usually when they were speaking out in predominantly white spaces.

“It’s like having a cold glass of water thrown in your face,” Ms. Jackson said, adding that she feels Mr. Trump has emboldened a culture where “you get a pass now to just say the things you only thought before.”

Those who study language and rhetoric say the president’s “go back” comments — or, at least, the sentiment behind them — have roots beginning as far back as the 1600s, when dissidents were banished from American colonies for advocating total religious freedom. Later, a set of laws passed in 1798 allowed the deportation of noncitizens who were considered dangerous, were from hostile nations or had criticized the federal government.

Amos Kiewe, who studies rhetoric at Syracuse University, guessed that the president’s tweet was most likely meant to sow divisions in the Democratic Party — and perhaps kick-start another news cycle that reporters would breathlessly follow — but that it had the side effect of surfacing a phrase with a history that is particularly racially divisive.

“There has always been this xenophobia, fear of the other,” Mr. Kiewe said, “the foreigner, the person who looks different. It has hit different minorities for many decades.”

It was there in 1882, when the Chinese Exclusion Act sought to curb the number of Chinese workers and families entering the United States to find day-labor work, from building railroads to doing laundry. And it was there in the 1840s, when anti-Irish and anti-Catholic sentiment in the United States led to the creation of a nativist political party designed to weed out foreign influence.

One of the prime examples of the “go back” sentiment has roots in the American Colonization Society, a white-led organization that sought to send freed slaves back to Africa. Fodei Batty, an assistant professor of political science at Quinnipiac University, wrote in a 2016 Washington Post analysis that some freed slaves went willingly because they were “disillusioned with the prospects of racial equality in America,” while others who wanted to stay argued that the effort to resettle slaves was a thinly veiled way to purge the United States of black people.

Descendants of those who stayed, Mr. Batty said in an interview, are now familiar with the sort of knee-jerk “go back” slur meant to immediately single out someone from a group where one trait — usually whiteness — is the default.

“You’re making this claim only to adopt a sense of place,” Mr. Batty said, “to put someone in a sense of place and give a sense of the other, that someone is different, without even having an understanding of the implications of those words.”

For African-Americans, the idea of returning to Africa, originally advocated by some whites as a better alternative than servitude, now persists as an angry slur. Outside a Trump rally in Cleveland in 2016, a man was filmed shouting “go back to Africa” at a black woman who was there to protest Mr. Trump.

“Y’all brought us here,” the woman retorted.

From the 4,800 responses The Times received, a common theme seemed to be encountering the slur when speaking up in white spaces, with the targets not limited to African-Americans. Samantha Edwards, a 47-year-old administrative assistant who grew up in Las Vegas, also wrote to The Times to share her story.

In the mid-1990s, she said she and her mother were chased out of a restaurant by two white men who screamed at them to “go back to Mexico.” She said she and her mother had been speaking together in English before the men chased them. Ms. Edwards, who was born in the United States but is of Mexican descent, said her parents avoided teaching her Spanish so she could avoid some of the discrimination they felt.

“It’s frustrating to have a leader of your own country talking like that,” Ms. Edwards said, referring to Mr. Trump. “He’s supposed to represent all of us and he’s not.”

Alanna Daniels, a 33-year-old business analyst from Waco, Tex., said that she often heard different variations of the taunt as a child, depending on which country people thought she was from. Ms. Daniels, who is mixed-race American with a white mother and a black father, said Mr. Trump’s tweet reflected back a version of a “kindergarten, exasperated” insult she has heard throughout her life.

She highlighted the irony that a president who has spent much of his campaign and presidency criticizing his country, often referring to it as a “laughingstock,” is turning that argument back on four congresswomen who have criticized it for other reasons.

“It was almost him saying that ‘this discourse is not for you,’” Ms. Daniels said. “It was almost saying ‘this isn’t yours, you have no skin in the game — literally.’”

On Monday, speaking at a Made in America event showcasing American-made sandals, hot sauce and motorcycles at the White House, Mr. Trump defended himself against assertions that what he said was racist, and that white nationalists were finding common ground with him.

“It doesn’t concern me because many people agree with me,” Mr. Trump said. “All I’m saying is that if they want to leave they can leave. It doesn’t say leave forever.”
Old 07-16-2019, 12:55 PM   #4
Jim in CT

Paul, i never said it’s never been used in a racist context, i’m talking about this case. i
live in CT, and i often about our imploding economy, and i cant tell you how many liberals have said to me, “if you don’t like it here, leave.”. this is similar to that.

you’re saying trumps insinuation must be the same insinuation that someone else made when using similar language. that’s funny, because when AOC referred to detention centers as concentration camps and she said “never again”, all the liberals claimed
that she didn’t mean nazi concentration camps, even though the phrase “never again” is a reference to the holicaust.

i have no doubt he’d have said the same thing to 4 white women from albania. i can’t prove it, you can’t disprove it.
Old 07-16-2019, 01:19 PM   #5
PaulS

Quote:
Paul, i never said it’s never been used in a racist context, i’m talking about this case. i
live in CT, and i often about our imploding economy, and i cant tell you how many liberals have said to me, “if you don’t like it here, leave.”. this is similar to that.Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
and that statement means nothing to you bc there has never been a theory or that it has been used by certain people (racists) that you as a white male being in CT is illegitimate - that is the difference.
Old 07-16-2019, 01:38 PM   #6
Jim in CT

Quote:
and that statement means nothing to you bc there has never been a theory or that it has been used by certain people (racists) that you as a white male being in CT is illegitimate - that is the difference.
I know it's different, which is why I said the two were similar, not identical.

Paul, he attacks EVERYONE who disagrees with him, regardless of color, and he does it with no thought, no maturity, no grace, no class. I don't see this as any different. I'm not a racist apologist.
Old 07-16-2019, 01:40 PM   #7
scottw

Quote:
try again in english
Old 07-16-2019, 01:48 PM   #8
PaulS

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post
try again in english
Seems like Jim is a lot smarter than you as it looks like he understood it
Old 07-16-2019, 01:54 PM   #9
Jim in CT

Quote:
Yes I understood it., I reject it, but I understand it. Only 1 of the 4 is African American, Paul.

He was obviously not responding to their color, he was responding to their idiotic, totalitarian policies, and the likelihood that they truly hate the country.

In the last 2 weeks, Biden has been called a racist by liberals, and Pelosi has been called a racist by liberals, and obviously neither of them is a racist. So forgive me if your side has lost some credibility on the subject.
Old 07-16-2019, 02:16 PM   #10
scottw

Quote:
he understands liblish...I guess that makes him smarter
Old 07-16-2019, 01:38 PM   #11
Sea Dangles

This thread is a great example of snowflakes making a mountain out of a molehill.
Again (they do it a lot)
Trump (he started it)
Is there any way to twist words better than we witness here daily?
Old 07-16-2019, 06:52 PM   #12
wdmso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Dangles View Post
This thread is a great example of snowflakes making a mountain out of a molehill.
Again (they do it a lot)
Trump (he started it)
Is there any way to twist words better than we witness here daily?
The only ones here twisting words are the usual suspects.. whos only interest is being antagonistic like their man child Trump. Birds of feather...
Old 07-16-2019, 08:14 PM   #13
Sea Dangles

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdmso View Post
The only ones here twisting words are the usual suspects.. whos only interest is being antagonistic like their man child Trump. Birds of feather...
A superb display of partisanship,can I use this as an example?

PRO CHOICE REPUBLICAN
Old 07-16-2019, 08:30 PM   #14
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdmso View Post
In the last couple of week, your side has made baseless racism accusations against Biden, Pelosi, and Trump. No twisting there, that's what happened. When you shriek "racism" at Everyone who disagrees with you, when you say that a man who adopts a black daughter is racist because he has the nerve to run against Spence's Messiah, then at some point, you lose credibility. According to the left, everyone who disagrees with them on anything, even liberals who arent as radical as they are, are racist.

What's the limit on fake accusations before you just stop listening to the people making the fake accusations?

Oh, and ICE is running concentration camps. No twisting there, no sir, And Trump created all those detention centers, he didn't inherit them from Obama, right? The GOP created them out of this air, those bastards!! It was never a problem to keep kids in cages, until Trump started doing it. Want to explain that one?

This is how Trump got elected, this exact bullsh*t.

Trump's tweet was a stupid, counterproductive, offensive, divisive, vindictive tweet. It was all of those things. And that reaction makes me a Trumplican to you, because I also say it wasn't racist. It cannot be racist, unless you really think he would have reacted differently if they were white. Have you heard the nasty things he has said about Nancy Pelosi and Rachael Maddow and Rosie O'Donnell?

Last edited by Jim in CT; 07-16-2019 at 08:35 PM..
Old 07-16-2019, 02:06 PM   #15
Pete F.
Canceled

GOP Sen. Joni Ernst asked if she thinks Trump tweets are racist: “yes I do. They are American citizens”

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Niles: You have met “people”, haven’t you?

Lets Go Darwin
Old 07-16-2019, 02:11 PM   #16
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete F. View Post
GOP Sen. Joni Ernst asked if she thinks Trump tweets are racist: “yes I do. They are American citizens”
Last time I checked, "American Citizen" wasn't a race

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
Old 07-16-2019, 02:13 PM   #17
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dad Fisherman View Post
right? wtf
Old 07-16-2019, 03:07 PM   #18
Sea Dangles

Quote:
You can’t fix stupid

PRO CHOICE REPUBLICAN
Old 07-16-2019, 03:16 PM   #19
Jim in CT

Quote:
gee when you put it that way, you demolish that argument. be nice if a us senator knew that.
Old 07-16-2019, 04:42 PM   #20
Jim in CT

any of the liberal snowflakes here complain, or criticize Tlaib, when she referred to the president as a motherf*cker in public, for the camera? Or can we say out loud that you apply very different standards for what’s expected of public servants, depending on party?
Old 07-16-2019, 06:50 PM   #21
Sea Dangles

Pathetic,spineless crew.
Old 07-16-2019, 08:36 PM   #22
PaulS

Quote:
Pathetic,spineless crew.
stupid ignorant crew
Old 07-16-2019, 08:57 PM   #23
Sea Dangles

Quote:
stupid ignorant crew
A little redundant tough guy, but at least we agree on something.

PRO CHOICE REPUBLICAN
Old 07-16-2019, 09:19 PM   #24
PaulS

Quote:
A little redundant tough guy, but at least we agree on something.
mr. Irrelevant
Old 07-16-2019, 08:48 PM   #25
Jim in CT

Trump on Nancy Pelosi: a “nasty, vindictive, horrible person.”
https://news.yahoo.com/pelosi-on-tru...154512412.html

Trump on Rosie ODonnell: fat pig, dog, slob and disgusting animal
https://www.newser.com/story/210963/...mp-insult.html

One of my all-time favorites, Trump on Arianna Huffington: unattractive both inside and out. I fully understand why her former husband left her for a man—he made a good decision.”

https://fortune.com/2015/08/09/trump...women-history/

There is a well established pattern of Trump saying horrible things to women who don't like him. This was another example of that.

Here is Trump telling NFL players (black and white) to stand proudly for the country, or else perhaps leave the country...https://www.marketwatch.com/story/tr...try-2018-05-24

Finally, how many famous people threatened to leave the country if he got elected? So why can't he spit that back in their face?

In any event, there's all kinds of evidence to suggest that as bad as Trump's tweet was, that it wasn't motivated by the skin color of the people he was referring to. Sorry snowflakes, there's a mountain of evidence suggesting it wasn't racism.

Last edited by Jim in CT; 07-16-2019 at 08:55 PM..
Old 07-16-2019, 10:10 PM   #26
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
Trump on Nancy Pelosi: a “nasty, vindictive, horrible person.”
https://news.yahoo.com/pelosi-on-tru...154512412.html

Trump on Rosie ODonnell: fat pig, dog, slob and disgusting animal
https://www.newser.com/story/210963/...mp-insult.html

One of my all-time favorites, Trump on Arianna Huffington: unattractive both inside and out. I fully understand why her former husband left her for a man—he made a good decision.”

https://fortune.com/2015/08/09/trump...women-history/

There is a well established pattern of Trump saying horrible things to women who don't like him. This was another example of that.

Here is Trump telling NFL players (black and white) to stand proudly for the country, or else perhaps leave the country...https://www.marketwatch.com/story/tr...try-2018-05-24

Finally, how many famous people threatened to leave the country if he got elected? So why can't he spit that back in their face?

In any event, there's all kinds of evidence to suggest that as bad as Trump's tweet was, that it wasn't motivated by the skin color of the people he was referring to. Sorry snowflakes, there's a mountain of evidence suggesting it wasn't racism.
So you have found a role model for your children to follow
I’m sure they will be happy

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Lets Go Darwin
Old 07-16-2019, 10:36 PM   #27
detbuch

Quote:
So you have found a role model for your children to follow
I’m sure they will be happy
So Jim demonstrates why Trump's remark is not racist as you lyingly claim and the best you can do is make some stupid characterization that is obviously not what Jim portrayed or meant (another one of your endless and persistent lies). Keep it up and you will be more like your version of Trump than Trump is.
Old 07-17-2019, 05:06 AM   #28
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
Originally Posted by detbuch View Post
So Jim demonstrates why Trump's remark is not racist as you lyingly claim and the best you can do is make some stupid characterization that is obviously not what Jim portrayed or meant (another one of your endless and persistent lies). Keep it up and you will be more like your version of Trump than Trump is.
He claims that trump is not a racist because he will attack anyone in any manner possible, glad you’re impressed. I am not.
Trumplicans may cringe at the actions Jim listed. They may wince at his easily disproved lies. They may somehow shrug off his lack of understanding of government. They may claim the ends justify the means. But he is their guy, leader, example, role model.
He’s the President, son, but don’t act like him.

Lets Go Darwin
Old 07-17-2019, 05:46 AM   #29
Sea Dangles

Quote:
He claims that trump is not a racist because he will attack anyone in any manner possible, glad you’re impressed. I am not.
Trumplicans may cringe at the actions Jim listed. They may wince at his easily disproved lies. They may somehow shrug off his lack of understanding of government. They may claim the ends justify the means. But he is their guy, leader, example, role model.
Do you think Jim was trying to impress you or prove a point? Just asking for a friend.

PRO CHOICE REPUBLICAN
Old 07-17-2019, 09:11 AM   #30
detbuch

Quote:

He was responding to your version of racism. Your version does not stand up to rational and objective scrutiny. As was pointed out by Jim. And Jim was not trying to impress, but to demonstrate how you are wrong. This mode of argument by changing the subject, moving the goalpost, that you constantly employ is another form of lie that you use to squirm out of your own chit. If you're trying to impress with slight of hand, it comes off as very weak.

Trumplicans may cringe at the actions Jim listed. They may wince at his easily disproved lies. They may somehow shrug off his lack of understanding of government. They may claim the ends justify the means.

Putting words in "Trumplican's" mouth, or imputing your version of their motivation is another form of lie. It has been explained why and what motivation drove us to vote for him. It has been pointed out here over and over. So don't lie about having to paint a picture that isn't so. You lie, and lie, and lie, every time you talk about Trump, and you do that incessantly.

But he is their guy, leader, example, role model.
Again, you're setting up a strawman lie. He has not been set up as a role model. On the other hand, he is not the frightful monster you lyingly make him out to be.

Last edited by detbuch; 07-18-2019 at 12:02 AM..