Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » The Scuppers

The Scuppers This is a new forum for the not necessarily fishing related topics...

Old 10-11-2003, 07:51 PM   #1
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

Pedro has no class

turned the game off after watching this chump threaten to bean one man and then throw an old one to the ground by the head. This man has no class, he should have been tossed.
Got Stripers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2003, 08:22 PM   #2
gilligan
GrayBeards

if he ran at me swinging i would have punched him first then threw him down and then punched him again. what was he supposed to do? take the punch? beat it. he deserved that . dont mess with a bull unless your ready for the horns!

Last edited by gilligan; 10-11-2003 at 08:35 PM..
gilligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2003, 05:55 AM   #3
UserRemoved1
Permanently Disconnected

I didn't watch the game but say the thing on the news later, and I'd say the same thing, the guy charged him with intent of physical harm, he got what he deserved. I probably woulda kneed him on the way down too 70 or not it wasnt right.....
UserRemoved1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2003, 06:55 AM   #4
MakoMike

I might be able to agree on his altercation with Zim, but what about hitting one guy and threatening the entire dug out with bean balls? And Ramirez definately should have bee tossed. When was the last time you saw a batter charge the mound, thow off an ump and not get bounced? The sox dod not have a lot of class on display yesterday, I thought they were better than that.

****MakoMike****

Http://www.Makomania.net

Official S-B Sponsor
MakoMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2003, 10:02 AM   #5
Nhten

Send a message via Yahoo to Nhten
1st,,,the gerbal deserved what he got,,,he charged Pedro . 2nd,,he wasnt threatening the "whole" dugout,he was telling Posada that if he wanted to hit him (Garcia) in the head,he could have. Do you really think a major league pitcher cant hit almost exactly what he wants with a fastball? I didnt agree with Manny cryin about a pitch that was high and " a little " inside,,he was just fanning the flames for sure.
Nhten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2003, 10:44 AM   #6
Goose

Seems like the sox tried to get clemens out of his game plan and make a turn in the series. Well it didn't work , so far . They got what it takes to take them clean anyways!

That was great watching Pedro make a carpet muncher out of Zimmer! lol
Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2003, 11:27 AM   #7
Brooksie

If you feel your too old to get thrown to the ground, then do not not charge a player leading with your head, it's that simple.

Pedro was aiming for Garcia's bat for an easy strike, what was the big deal?
Brooksie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2003, 01:34 PM   #8
Nhten

Send a message via Yahoo to Nhten
"aiming for Garcia's bat",,, thats exactly what I was thinkin when I saw the pitch...LMAO
Nhten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2003, 01:52 PM   #9
likwid
lobster = striper bait

Send a message via AIM to likwid
Pedro wasn't threatening the whole dugout, if you saw the replays of both the yankees bench and pedro, he was yelling at Zimmer who'd been egging him on since the wild pitch.

Ski Quicks Hole
likwid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2003, 05:56 PM   #10
fishsmith
DDG-51

I don't think Pedro hit the guy, I think he hit his bat, why else would the ball reflect off so high, and why didn't the batter start heading to first base? Regardless the sox lost and we've got an up hill battle, but a week ago we were 0 - 2, and now we're still playing.
Then the Spankee's bullpen beat up the red sox grounds keeper for cheering for his team, so there are no good guys, just spoiled talented athletes.
fishsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2003, 07:17 PM   #11
beachwalker
Below Me

Pedro is a great competitor that definetly makes his presense known on the edges. He isn't (nor is Roger) afraid of going well over the edge on occasion.

We'll get over it some day.

beachwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2003, 08:19 PM   #12
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

Both pitchers are the biggest head hunters in the league. And its no problem in NY when Roger goes after someone (often their head)... Do you think Pedro would miss Garcia's head? Hehehe. No, he it Garcia where he wanted. I doubt it was a wild pitch. And while I'm not a fan of pitchers going after hitters (and Roger & Pedro both do that) but I find it really hypocritical when people scream and yell when the other team gets beaned by a pitcher "going after someone's head" and their guy gets a free base, but when their pitcher hits someone, it's a "wild pitch" or that pitcher is trying to protect his "inside of the plate"...

As for Zim? It's not like Pedro went into the Yankee Dugout and started beating the crap out of him. If you listen to what the Y announcer said it would seem like that. But ZIM CHARGED PEDRO...

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming:
JohnR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2003, 08:37 PM   #13
beachwalker
Below Me

Well I don't know about NO problem John. Nobody goes head hunting in MLB without geting in trouble for it.

The Piazza saga was a gas.

It was a bench clearer.

What I want to know is what happened out in the pen ?
beachwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2003, 09:56 PM   #14
bud8fan

Oh well?

Well with the rain out we are more than likely gonna see Pedro go at it again!!

What will the outcome be?

Mueller, Millar, Nomar!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ITS TIME TO COWBOY UP!!!! If their bats dont wake up they are in a whole mess of !@#$%^&!!!!!!!!!!!
bud8fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2003, 10:08 PM   #15
likwid
lobster = striper bait

Send a message via AIM to likwid
Mia needs to kick Nomar a couple times in the head...

Maybe he'll start hitting again

Ski Quicks Hole
likwid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2003, 06:00 AM   #16
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

Sorry I've got no sympathy for Pedro, makes more money than God, you'd think that would buy you some class. I've been competitive all my life, ask anyone that fishes with me, even in a relaxed atmosphere like that, I still have it going. Throwing at someone to intentionally cause harm, threatening to bean more batters and then tossing the old man to the ground by the head IMHO is a bit much. Did anyone notice how easy he grabbed zimmer by the head and tossed him down, it would have been just as easy to hold him at bay, he was as much of a threat as a 10 year old girl swinging at him. Tossing someone to the ground using his head just isn't classy, but if you chear for that, I guess a good intentional helmet hit to the head of a QB, or a message sending high stick in the face is good sport too.
Old 10-13-2003, 06:20 AM   #17
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

Quote:
Originally posted by Got Stripers
but if you chear for that, I guess a good intentional helmet hit to the head of a QB, or a message sending high stick in the face is good sport too.
I have not heard anyone "cheer" for it, while I'm not against watching my teams getting into the rare bench clearings, I don't like to see people getting hurt & players ejected... I just see that as not a great situation where choice is clear & easy to take. Add the tempers and competitveness of these guys and it's not suprising at all - I don't think anyone condones it...

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming:
JohnR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2003, 06:45 AM   #18
Mr. Kav
I'll go fishing tuna or later

hind sight is better than foresight.

Pedro did the right thing. A man charging at him in the mitts of a potential melee, Pedro got the threat ( zimmer) away from him and got prepared for any other threat. 225+ lb man 70yrs old or 30yrs old is a threat in my book. That is all pedro and red sox need is pedro holding zimmer until he calms down only for a another yankee to cold cock and hurt him while doing so. it is easy to critisize him now and say "he should have sat zimmer down and reasoned with him or what ever" now after it is over.

zimmer was the aggresor and he should have and was treated as such.
Mr. Kav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2003, 07:18 AM   #19
Brooksie

Quote:
Originally posted by Got Stripers
or a message sending high stick in the face is good sport too.
Actually, dropping the gloves and pounding away is a good message and makes for good sport.
Brooksie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2003, 09:12 AM   #20
bloocrab
Callinectes sapidus

G/S..... ...don't tell me you cover your eyes during a hockey fight!!!

Zimmer knows he was wrong...thats' why he shame-fully apologized.

Pedro could have EASILY hit him with a 100 mph punch. To me, it shows a little integrity that ALL he did was control the aggressor.

GO SOX

...it finally happened, there are no more secret spots
bloocrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2003, 11:51 AM   #21
chris L

botom line is zimmer is 72 . how you feel if it was your parent or grandparent . dont go thru this with blind hatedred . Martinez could have done many other things than toss him down by his head . Zimmer was totally wrong for going after pedro in the first place . No one was without guilt that partook in this sorry excuse of an example of teammanship . poor kids that had to watch this crap .
chris L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2003, 12:19 PM   #22
shore manic

yep chris the kids

watched there heroes acting up!! yes it was an intense game and tensions were running high. both teams were out of line. pedro made a big mistake by doing the pointing.zimmer should have never charged him.and as far as the dugout incident what were they thinking?? get over it and move on to tonights game. throw some leather and start hitting the damn ball!!!! COWBOY UP!!!!

my best days are in, on, or at the waters edge...... (We are all apprentices in a craft where no one ever becomes a master.) Ernest Hemingway
shore manic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2003, 12:26 PM   #23
Mr. Kav
I'll go fishing tuna or later

how is the bottom line " zimmer is 72" ???????

the bottom line is a 72 year old, 250lb man charged at him with the intent on hurting him. that is the bottom line.
Mr. Kav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2003, 02:30 PM   #24
chris L

think about it ! how about step out of the way of the 72 year old 250#er . be be the better man walk away . not to mention the laws in this country with regards to injuring a senior citizen . They were both wrong !!! But pedro shouldnt have thrown him down .

Last edited by chris L; 10-13-2003 at 02:35 PM..
chris L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2003, 05:20 PM   #25
CAL
I need spring!

Zimmer got what he deserved. Regardless of age you don't go after someone unless you expect the same in return. He's lucky all he got was a face plant.

As for the laws about injuring the elderly, I think they go out the window when it's the elderly that takes the first shot.
CAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2003, 05:43 PM   #26
missing link

wait for tonight!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

" Happy as a clam at high tide "
missing link is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2003, 07:38 PM   #27
shore manic

you're right!!!!

not that many years ago when i used to frequent the fanueil hall in the city of boston. hey did i spell fanuiel right it just looks wrong no matter how ya spell it. when i played hockey i used to be one of those guys. and i was the goalie, get out of my crease man. one warning and then the slash to where ever terry o' was one of the best and dave schultz made a career out of it. how bout mckenzie,dallas,carlton,and all the the other ruffians you grew up with in hockey! lighten up g.s. it ain't all bad. hooligans again!!!!

my best days are in, on, or at the waters edge...... (We are all apprentices in a craft where no one ever becomes a master.) Ernest Hemingway
shore manic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2003, 08:52 PM   #28
Slingah

Zim deserved what he got. Old ...fat ... whatever.
Slingah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2003, 05:27 AM   #29
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

No way, I grew up watching the old bruins and loved a good fight. But there is a huge difference to someone willing to drop the gloves and someone willing to risk putting a guys eye out because he feels he can risk a penalty to send his message with a high stick to the face.

I'm not saying Zimmer didn't deserve to be handled, but let's face it an overweight short 72 year old could have been fended off with a straight arm. Guys get on Clemens, but I'll give him credit, he showed more class than our guy and pitched a good game.

Quote:
Originally posted by bloocrab
G/S..... ...don't tell me you cover your eyes during a hockey fight!!!

Zimmer knows he was wrong...thats' why he shame-fully apologized.

Pedro could have EASILY hit him with a 100 mph punch. To me, it shows a little integrity that ALL he did was control the aggressor.

GO SOX
Old 10-14-2003, 07:51 AM   #30
bloocrab
Callinectes sapidus

I understand your point G/S... I just have a funny feeling that if it had been a push and grab kinda fight...it would have turned into a big...pig-pile on Pedro ....and that would've really sucked. We lose him.....and the chances are that more slim

...it finally happened, there are no more secret spots
bloocrab is offline   Reply With Quote