Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 10-05-2021, 08:58 AM   #181
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got Stripers View Post
Obsessed not, but if I were still working and paying high taxes, I’d be a bit pissed someone with millions or billions is paying almost nothing.
The top 1% have 20% of the total income, and pay 40% of the total federal income tax, as of 2018.

"paying almost nothing**"

** - in which 1% of the population shouldering 40% of the tax burden, is "almost nothing".

Obama had deomcrats in control of congress, as Biden does now. If the tax system is so unfair, why don't they change it? Obama had a fillibuster-proof democrat majority in the senate, and a large democrat majority in the house, for some of his first term. He could have fixed this in a day.

Its all BS to distract the herd from the truth. If you're unhappy with your lot in life, the problem is much more likely to be in the mirror, than it is to be some guy on the cover of Forbes.
Old 10-05-2021, 08:59 AM   #182
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdmso View Post

Wow nice rant Q THANKS!

Deposits or withdrawalsOver $10,000

Are reported not 600

Please get informed

Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
it's coming...apparently you are not informed

Yes, under Biden's proposal the IRS could have more access to your bank accounts
If you have at least $600 in your account, the IRS could end up monitoring your spending. It’s part of President Biden's proposed tax reform and is raising concerns.

NBC IRS would track all bank transactions over $600 under Biden plan
by Kenneth McGrathTuesday, September 28th 2021

MOBILE COUNTY, Ala. (WPMI) —

The administration wants the Internal Revenue Service to monitor every transaction you make of $600 or more, that’s a big change from the current 10,000 threshold. Meanwhile, Bloomberg.com reports that House Ways & Means Chairman Richard Neal said he and other democratic leaders are planning to set a threshold higher than the $600 proposed by the Biden administration.
Old 10-05-2021, 09:00 AM   #183
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete F. View Post
What we could have: masks+vaccination=freedom

What we got: FOX/GOP fighting against masks and vaccines, causing the need for longer restrictions and more mandates, so they can keep their followers angry about Dems attacking their freedom

Steve Bannon said the other morning he will have 20K "shock troops" on standby. "We control this country," he added. "We have to start acting like it."

Throughout the federal deployment to Portland, officers from the Federal Protective Services requested assistance from the Department of Homeland Security’s Homeland Identities Targeting and Exploitation Center to search protesters’ cellphones. That team found the searches were illegal, and resisted pressure from senior Homeland Security leaders to assist FPS.
"What we got: FOX/GOP fighting against masks and vaccines,"

So why are some of the largest unvaccinated populations, blacks and those with PhD's? Those people take their marching orders from Foxnews?

"What we could have: masks+vaccination=freedom"

Tell that to Connecticut College students, who have a 100% vaccination rate, and are in a complete lockdown.
Old 10-05-2021, 09:06 AM   #184
Jim in CT

Quote:

Conservatives are a dying breed unable to accept they are in the minority in America being saved by the electoral college and how the Senator are appointed . And Americans are paying attention to their obstructing ways .

What do you base this on? What support for that crap could you possibly provide?

If the electoral college is the only thing saving the GOP, please explain why Republicans currently have a majority of governorships and state legislatures? Lemme guess, it’s all because of racist gerrymandering.

When Obama left office as recently as 2016, the Democrats held fewer elected offices (federal, state, local) than at any time sine Reconstruction. That's mathematical fact. Back then, did you say the democrats were on the way out?

Last edited by Jim in CT; 10-05-2021 at 09:33 AM..
Old 10-05-2021, 09:07 AM   #185
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post

So why are some of the largest unvaccinated populations, blacks and those with PhD's?
don't forget police, fire and healthcare workers...and teachers
Old 10-05-2021, 09:21 AM   #186
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post
don't forget police, fire and healthcare workers...and teachers
what reasons are healthcare workers giving, for not getting vaccinated? i haven’t seen any facts in why…
Old 10-05-2021, 09:26 AM   #187
detbuch

Quote:
What we could have: masks+vaccination=freedom
War is peace. Freedom is slavery.
Old 10-05-2021, 09:40 AM   #188
spence

Quote:
The administration wants the Internal Revenue Service to monitor every transaction you make of $600 or more, that’s a big change from the current 10,000 threshold.
Not true.
Old 10-05-2021, 10:23 AM   #189
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
Not true.
I think might be right...it's actually even worse
Old 10-05-2021, 11:21 AM   #190
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
"What we got: FOX/GOP fighting against masks and vaccines,"

So why are some of the largest unvaccinated populations, blacks and those with PhD's? Those people take their marching orders from Foxnews?

Are you trying to say Foxnews should not be listened to by anyone who is a minority or educated?

"What we could have: masks+vaccination=freedom"

Tell that to Connecticut College students, who have a 100% vaccination rate, and are in a complete lockdown.
Lying again, I see
Connecticut College is not locked down, is following the Covid Protocol.
https://www.conncoll.edu/campus-life...-19-dashboard/

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Niles: You have met “people”, haven’t you?

Lets Go Darwin
Old 10-05-2021, 11:27 AM   #191
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

Quote:
The top 1% have 20% of the total income, and pay 40% of the total federal income tax, as of 2018.

"paying almost nothing**"

** - in which 1% of the population shouldering 40% of the tax burden, is "almost nothing".

Obama had deomcrats in control of congress, as Biden does now. If the tax system is so unfair, why don't they change it? Obama had a fillibuster-proof democrat majority in the senate, and a large democrat majority in the house, for some of his first term. He could have fixed this in a day.

Its all BS to distract the herd from the truth. If you're unhappy with your lot in life, the problem is much more likely to be in the mirror, than it is to be some guy on the cover of Forbes.
So they pay less than 4% and your paying 35%, oh that seems fair right?
Old 10-05-2021, 12:11 PM   #192
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
Originally Posted by detbuch View Post
War is peace. Freedom is slavery.
You and Bannon are Leninists, oops that's true

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Lets Go Darwin
Old 10-05-2021, 12:14 PM   #193
Jim in CT

Quote:
Lying again, I see
I'm saying blacks and college professors are a very democratic group, so they aren't refusing the vaccine because foxnews tells them to. Too fast for you?

"Connecticut College is not locked down"

OK, YOU SAID masks + vaccines = freedom.

No in person classrooms, kids can only be in their dorm with roomates (no one else), cafeterias closed, gym closed, sports and clubs cancelled. For $80,000 a year.

If that's your idea of freedom, then you can embrace that all you want, but most of us will take a hard pass, thanks.
Old 10-05-2021, 12:35 PM   #194
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

You're missing the point Jim, it's not a lock-down if you call it "Covid Protocols"
Old 10-05-2021, 12:49 PM   #195
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dad Fisherman View Post
You're missing the point Jim, it's not a lock-down if you call it "Covid Protocols"
Silly me.

I have 2 friends who mortgaged their house to send their daughter to that school (and I have two brothers who graduated from there). Liberal like you can't believe. She can't go to class, eat with anyone, have anyone in her room except her roommate, can't go to anyone else's room, can't join a club or go to a sporting event.

Every single kid and employee is vaccinated, and they're testing everyone weekly. So naturally, there are some positive test cases, but no one is sick. The school is freaking out over the number of test cases, maybe someone told them that vaccinated people can't get covid, which isn't remotely true.

We need to stop trying to manage the number of positive test cases (which likely can't be stopped with this virus), and concentrate on minimizing the number of people who get really sick.

Hope you're doing well.
Old 10-05-2021, 12:50 PM   #196
Jim in CT

Quote:
Auschwitz wasn't a "death camp", it was a re-education center.
Old 10-05-2021, 12:54 PM   #197
Jim in CT

Quote:
Lying again, I see
"Are you trying to say Foxnews should not be listened to by anyone who is a minority or educated?"

Oh, we all know that the best thing for blacks would be to listen to what thoughtful conservatives say on Foxnews. Unfortunately, they don't.

The last thing democrats want, is for poor folks to hear someone rationally explain that the path to upward economic mobility doesn't lie with demonizing rich people, but rather lies in strong family and hard work and good decision-making. Democrats desperately want to hide that message from blacks, because if more blacks embraced that, they wouldn't feel the need to vote for democrats.
Old 10-05-2021, 01:07 PM   #198
detbuch

Quote:
You and Bannon are Leninists, oops that's true
Not quite right--it's spelled lennonists. Here's an old fashioned precursor of the Alt Right, Norwegian white supremacist ditty just for you:

Old 10-05-2021, 01:20 PM   #199
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

Quote:
If only 100,00 died and these mandates were in play I’d agree it’s extreme and unwarranted, but it’s now over 700,000 dead and it’s not over, so whine all you want. Hey don’t vaccinate your kids Home school them, drive your hog in mass without a helmet, screw paying the evil government taxes to fund the new order, light up a cigarette in your office and have all the freedom you want.
Old 10-05-2021, 01:22 PM   #200
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
Originally Posted by detbuch View Post
Not quite right--it's spelled lennonists. Here's an old fashioned precursor of the Alt Right, Norwegian white supremacist ditty just for you:

The American Right’s “21st-century Leninism”

The dismissal of Steve Bannon — leading intellectual of the US alt-right — before the first anniversary of Trump’s presidency comes as false relief. In fact, Bannon’s White House adventure was only one stage of a long journey — the migration of revolutionary-populist language, tactics, and strategies from the left to the right. Bannon has reportedly said: “I’m a Leninist. Lenin … wanted to destroy the state, and that’s my goal too. I want to bring everything crashing down, and destroy all of today’s establishment.” But what does this Leninism consist of? In a complex democracy, Leninism can only maintain itself as a populism of the long revolution. For decades, social science has insisted that due to entrenched institutions, no third party can succeed in the US. This very “scientific fact” has enabled a smug self-certainty among liberal leftists and autonomists/anarchists (who find therein further justification for, respectively, their subservience to neoliberalism and evasion of organized politics). The American far right has subverted this “fact.” It was as if they were following directions from a 21st-century, condensed version of Lenin’s (1902) What is to Be Done?, starting with the sentence: “If you can’t build a party, paralyze the party; circumvent it; and take it over.” They did all three simultaneously. Our imaginary, revised What is to Be Done? would then continue: “Before you become the de jure leaders of the party, make sure all of its institutions are crippled.” If the Tea Party (a populist grouping among Republicans) had not already paralyzed the Republican establishment, the latter would have been able to stop Trump’s rise.

American right-wing populism is Leninism under democratic conditions. Unlike the Russian Bolsheviks who had to avoid almost all above-ground society and politics, American rightists embrace society. The revised What is to Be Done? would therefore say: “Organize in every cell of society. Don’t underestimate any venue of organization and politics, even if (especially if) it seems to belong to the enemy camp.” The right learned not to leave education, science, and culture to the monopoly of the left. “Appropriate the organizational terrain and ideology of your enemy, to the extent possible. Dismantle whatever you fail to appropriate.” Starting with Andrew Breitbart himself, the founder of the “alt-right” media outlet, the right read the Frankfurt School; it made healthcare a big deal; and with the rise of Trump and Bannon, it promises jobs and infrastructure.

Today the Leninist Right cannot ignore the existence of other potentially populist forces on the social map, however meager they may be. The 21st-century What is to Be Done? would thus conclude with the sentence: “If certain trenches of the enemy appear to be beyond the reach of any of these tactics, provoke its occupants into immature and illegitimate action.” As the alt-right descended on the University of California, Berkeley and other pockets of residual left-wing influence in early 2017, liberals came to their defense (in the name of “free speech”) when a far left without a mass base attacked them. Liberal enthusiasm for “free speech” diminished slightly after an alt-rightist drove a truck into an anti-racist crowd in Charlottesville, but the Washington Post still emphasized far left violence and the alt-right’s freedoms when the latter returned to Berkeley in September 2017. Many birds are killed with one stone: the enemy is divided; its confusion, lack of will, and weakness are exposed; its reputation is tarnished; and the far right itself is further galvanized.

Since “the state” today is more complex than any 20th-century definition could capture, “smashing” it involves much less dramatic action than in 1917, at least for now. We still don’t know what the right holds in store for the time when the existing institutions are completely incapacitated, but we may soon find out. Right after his resignation, Steve Bannon declared “war” on his enemies, adding gleefully that he is returning to his “weapons” (meaning electronic media). A populist revolution in a land of entrenched (if decaying) liberalism is an uphill battle, and is bound to suffer setbacks. But the show is far from over.

Lets Go Darwin
Old 10-05-2021, 01:24 PM   #201
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
"Are you trying to say Foxnews should not be listened to by anyone who is a minority or educated?"

Oh, we all know that the best thing for blacks would be to listen to what thoughtful conservatives say on Foxnews. Unfortunately, they don't.

The last thing democrats want, is for poor folks to hear someone rationally explain that the path to upward economic mobility doesn't lie with demonizing rich people, but rather lies in strong family and hard work and good decision-making. Democrats desperately want to hide that message from blacks, because if more blacks embraced that, they wouldn't feel the need to vote for democrats.

Lets Go Darwin
Old 10-05-2021, 01:28 PM   #202
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
Quote:
October first was the day compulsory indoor masking ended in Portugal. An 85% vaccination rate pays off.

The moronavirus is the most dangerous variant of all.

Keep believing boys, we will get to a million yet.

Lets Go Darwin
Old 10-05-2021, 01:28 PM   #203
spence

Quote:
A history of Lies and hypocrisy make a difference to some people. To some people, it impacts the credibility of the liar & hypocrite.

If you're not insulted (and you aren't) that she deliberately appropriated the unfathomable misery your ancestors endured for her own personal gain, then please spare me your fake outrage at my remark. If you give her a pass for what she did (and we all know you do), my remark is nothing. Either it's wrong to exploit Native Americans, or it's OK. But you believe it's ok when liberals do it, and wrong when conservatives do it, and it doesn't work that way, sorry. You have to choose whether it's OK or not, and apply that standard to everyone, or else you don't actually have a principled position.
I actually am offended by your mocking her, as I am when Trump calls her Pocahontas. Generally speaking I don't think people should claim heritage unless they are quite sure (In my case I have a tribe ID) but I've never seen anything that she gained unfairly from it. Stupid but not earth shattering. The mortgage foreclosure thing also has been blown way out of proportion as well.
Old 10-05-2021, 01:45 PM   #204
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got Stripers View Post
If only 100,00 died and these mandates were in play I’d agree it’s extreme and unwarranted, but it’s now over 700,000 dead and it’s not over, so whine all you want. Hey drive your hog in mass without a helmet, screw paying the evil government taxes to fund the new order, lidon’t vaccinate your kids Home school them,ght up a cigarette in your office and have all the freedom you want.
My 15 year old is vaccinated, so are my wife and I, I'm totally on board with the vaccine. All the data I've seen, say vaccines are effective at reducing the risk of getting seriously sick from covid. I don't see evidence that the vaccines are a great shield against getting covid.

"it’s not over"

My point is, if "over" means no one can get covid anymore, then it will probably never be over. Never. You know how many viruses have effectively been eliminated? Any idea? One. O-N-E. 1. Smallpox.

So we need to ask ourselves how much of what constitutes a normal childhood, are we willing to deny our children, for what may be no real benefit? We're probably all going to get covid at some point, maybe more than once, like the flu.

"don’t vaccinate your kids Home school them, drive your hog in mass without a helmet, screw paying the evil government taxes to fund the new order, light up a cigarette in your office and have all the freedom you want."

Yup, that's exactly what I said.

It's a very common tactic among stupid people with a weak argument, to ignore what the person winning the argument actually said, and respond instead to something that I never came close to saying. When I'm debating someone who acts like I said something I never came close to saying, that means I won.

Show me any large population of healthy, vaccinated people, and I guarantee that if you test all of them, many will test positive and don't feel sick. That's how this disease works. Huge numbers of people get it, very few get seriously sick.

Amazing. The side you support has no problem locking down healthy vaccinated people, but show zero concern when thousands of unvaccinated, untested illegals cross our border daily, and end up in our cities and towns.

Here, according to all the right-wing nuts at NBC news, 18% of illegal migrants tested, tested positive for covid. Almost 1 out of 5. And Democrats adamantly deny that there's any reason to be concerned that more than 150,000 illegals a month cross the southern border.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/imm...itive-n1276244
Old 10-05-2021, 01:51 PM   #205
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
I actually am offended by your mocking her, as I am when Trump calls her Pocahontas. Generally speaking I don't think people should claim heritage unless they are quite sure (In my case I have a tribe ID) but I've never seen anything that she gained unfairly from it. Stupid but not earth shattering. The mortgage foreclosure thing also has been blown way out of proportion as well.
If you actually had any principle (other than democrat=good, republican=bad), you'd be furious at what she did.

"I've never seen anything that she gained unfairly from it."

Harvard touted her widely as their first Native American law professor.

She exploited the genuine suffering of your people, in order to land a $400,000-a-year-job.

Every single person here, knows you'd be singing a different tune, if a Republican did what she did. Because your only principle, which I have never once seen you deviate from here, is that the democrat is always, always right.

I would honestly pay good money to hook you up to a polygraph, ask you if she lied for financial gain, hear you say "no", and see what the machine says. In other words, do even you believe the nonsense that you post here?

"The mortgage foreclosure thing also has been blown way out of proportion as well"

She excoriated banks for foreclosing. Yet she and her husband bought and flipped foreclosures. So it's only OK when she does it.

Then there's her whopper about getting fired form a school job for being pregnant (poor little lamb, so victimized by the evil men), when there's paperwork that she quit and the school board asked her to stay.

But you can't call her out for any of it, because she's a democrat.

Me think-um she want to dwell in house of Great White Chief. Ugh.
Old 10-05-2021, 01:56 PM   #206
wdmso

Quote:
it's coming...apparently you are not informed

Yes, under Biden's proposal the IRS could have more access to your bank accounts
If you have at least $600 in your account, the IRS could end up monitoring your spending. It’s part of President Biden's proposed tax reform and is raising concerns.

NBC IRS would track all bank transactions over $600 under Biden plan
by Kenneth McGrathTuesday, September 28th 2021

MOBILE COUNTY, Ala. (WPMI) —

The administration wants the Internal Revenue Service to monitor every transaction you make of $600 or more, that’s a big change from the current 10,000 threshold. Meanwhile, Bloomberg.com reports that House Ways & Means Chairman Richard Neal said he and other democratic leaders are planning to set a threshold higher than the $600 proposed by the Biden administration.
Wants? is that your bases on facts what people want? Not what actually exists…. You seem focused on feeling not actually Facts it’s not all that surprising

The great American tax haven: why the super-rich love South Dakota

last year, as the Chinese government prepared to enact tough new tax rules, the billionaire Sun Hongbin quietly transferred $4.5bn worth of shares in his Chinese real estate firm to a company on a street corner in Sioux Falls, South Dakota, one of the least populated and least known states in the US. Sioux Falls is a pleasant city of 180,000 people, situated where the Big Sioux River tumbles off a red granite cliff. It has some decent bars downtown, and a charming array of sculptures dotting the streets, but there doesn’t seem to be much to attract a Chinese multi-billionaire. It’s a town that even few Americans have been to.

The money of the world’s mega-wealthy, though, is heading there in ever-larger volumes. In the past decade, hundreds of billions of dollars have poured out of traditional offshore jurisdictions such as Switzerland and Jersey, and into a small number of American states: Delaware, Nevada, Wyoming – and, above all, South Dakota. “To some, South Dakota is a ‘fly-over’ state,” the chief justice of the state’s supreme court said in a speech to the legislature in January. “While many people may find a way to ‘fly over’ South Dakota, somehow their dollars find a way to land here.”

But spending 3.5 bill over 10 years is suddenly outrageous
the Department of Defense's discretionary budget authority is approximately $705.39 billion ($705,390,000,000). Mandatory spending of $10.77 billion, the Department of Energy and defense-related spending of $37.335 billion added up to the total FY2021 Defense budget of $753.5 billion.

Republicans love to say American 1st but only if that money goes to their donors .. not to helping actual Americans
Old 10-05-2021, 02:24 PM   #207
wdmso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim

Almost 1 out of 5. And Democrats adamantly deny that there's any reason to be concerned that more than 150,000 illegals a month cross the southern border.

[url
https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/immigration/18-percent-migrant-families-leaving-border-patrol-custody-tested-positive-n1276244[/url]
Jim is now selling the lie that the Covid spike is cause by illegals classic.

Jim you like most other spoon fed conservatives think apprehension equals entry to the United States

U.S. border arrests top 1 million in fiscal year 2021 Yet all the hospitals are filled with nonvaccinated people not immigrants

A total of 11,445 refugees were allowed into the United States during the budget year that ended on Thursday, 2021

Some invasion! now let hear the argument what about the ones they didn’t catch! Yes what about them anyone have a number ? Love to hear it and see the source
Old 10-05-2021, 02:43 PM   #208
Jim in CT

Quote:
Jim is now selling the lie that the Covid spike is cause by illegals classic.

Jim you like most other spoon fed conservatives think apprehension equals entry to the United States

U.S. border arrests top 1 million in fiscal year 2021 Yet all the hospitals are filled with nonvaccinated people not immigrants

A total of 11,445 refugees were allowed into the United States during the budget year that ended on Thursday, 2021

Some invasion! now let hear the argument what about the ones they didn’t catch! Yes what about them anyone have a number ? Love to hear it and see the source
"Jim is now selling the lie that the Covid spike is cause by illegals classic. "

Again, you're hearing voices. I never said "the" spike is caused by illegals. There's only one reason why people respond to something not even close to what one says, it's because you know you can't respond to what I'm actually saying.

Here's what I said:

Democrats claim to be concerned about minimizing covid, yet they say it's not a problem that 150,000 illegals cross each month, when almost 30,000 of those may have covid.

If democrats refuse to concede that 30,000 covid-positive people coming across monthly isn't any cause for concern, then I don't see how you can claim to take covid seriously.

That's what I said. See if you can avoid responding with "Jim said we should return to slavery...".

Try to respond to what I actually said. Not to what the voices in your head are telling you I said.

"all the hospitals are filled with nonvaccinated people not immigrants "

I didn't say they're filling the hospitals. I said thousands cross daily, and the data suggests that almost 1 in 5 have covid. That's not a potential problem?

"A total of 11,445 refugees were allowed into the United States during the budget year that ended on Thursday, 2021 "

I said illegal migrants, not legal refugees. No clue why the number of refugees matters at all.

Here, those right-wing nuts at the Washington Post say that in July, the Border Patrol had encounters with 200,000 illegals in the month. That's just the count of the ones Border Patrol came across - 200,000 in a month.

The data shows that 1 in 5 have covid.

No reason for ANY concern with those numbers?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...5f2_story.html

"Jim you like most other spoon fed conservatives think apprehension equals entry to the United States "

OK, How many do you suppose are entering the US per month?

"U.S. border arrests top 1 million in fiscal year 2021"

Are you saying we arrest those people, without them entering the United States? How do we do that?

In my ignorance, I though the arrest and processing took place within the United States.

I'm not saying every one of them gets to stay here forever. But all of them are here for some time, some are here for quite awhile, some are here for years.
Old 10-05-2021, 02:47 PM   #209
Jim in CT

Quote:
Wants? is that your bases on facts what people want? Not what actually exists…. You seem focused on feeling not actually Facts it’s not all that surprising

The great American tax haven: why the super-rich love South Dakota

last year, as the Chinese government prepared to enact tough new tax rules, the billionaire Sun Hongbin quietly transferred $4.5bn worth of shares in his Chinese real estate firm to a company on a street corner in Sioux Falls, South Dakota, one of the least populated and least known states in the US. Sioux Falls is a pleasant city of 180,000 people, situated where the Big Sioux River tumbles off a red granite cliff. It has some decent bars downtown, and a charming array of sculptures dotting the streets, but there doesn’t seem to be much to attract a Chinese multi-billionaire. It’s a town that even few Americans have been to.

The money of the world’s mega-wealthy, though, is heading there in ever-larger volumes. In the past decade, hundreds of billions of dollars have poured out of traditional offshore jurisdictions such as Switzerland and Jersey, and into a small number of American states: Delaware, Nevada, Wyoming – and, above all, South Dakota. “To some, South Dakota is a ‘fly-over’ state,” the chief justice of the state’s supreme court said in a speech to the legislature in January. “While many people may find a way to ‘fly over’ South Dakota, somehow their dollars find a way to land here.”

But spending 3.5 bill over 10 years is suddenly outrageous
the Department of Defense's discretionary budget authority is approximately $705.39 billion ($705,390,000,000). Mandatory spending of $10.77 billion, the Department of Energy and defense-related spending of $37.335 billion added up to the total FY2021 Defense budget of $753.5 billion.

Republicans love to say American 1st but only if that money goes to their donors .. not to helping actual Americans
Please try to answer this question...

why should you care if a Chinese billionaire (unless he's a criminal) puts his money in a South Dakota bank?

See if you can follow...

In order for banks to make loans, they need to have deposits. Generally speaking, it's good for banks to have people deposit money with them.

Every post of yours is a direct assault on economic reality.
Old 10-05-2021, 02:49 PM   #210
Jim in CT

Quote:

Oh. But when democrats propose tax credits to cars that are made at union shops, when those credits don't apply to non-union shops...that's NOT democrats giving money to their donors? That's not democrats rewarding unions for campaign contributions?

Are you saying that people who make cars for TESLA aren't "actual Americans"? People who work at Ford are more American than people who work for TESLA?

I would love to see your response to THAT.