Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 03-20-2020, 07:59 AM   #1
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdmso View Post
Heres a question for you market guys

How is a 1000 or 1200 dollar 1 time check going to help anyone realistically. Or is this just to help the markets .

A 1000 bucks barely covers 1 months rent or 500 a car payment

Clearly something is better than nothing

But wouldnt frezzing interest and loan payment on mortages, cars, rent with out penalties help more Americans

By having those payments added to the end of their loans
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
because if a huge volume
of people spend that extra money, it helps the small businesses recover from the crushing lack of rev he thats pulverizing them now.

shortens the length of time it takes for businesses to recover lost revenue, which means less layoffs, and that’s a key thing.

The $1,000 doesn’t change anyone’s life. but it will help keep people employed as that money is spent and re spent.
Old 03-20-2020, 08:32 AM   #2
wdmso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
because if a huge volume
of people spend that extra money, it helps the small businesses recover from the crushing lack of rev he thats pulverizing them now.

shortens the length of time it takes for businesses to recover lost revenue, which means less layoffs, and that’s a key thing.

The $1,000 doesn’t change anyone’s life. but it will help keep people employed as that money is spent and re spent.
Thats my point the seagulls will swoop in on the foreclosures of the little guy who would have been saved if his mortgage payments and interest and penalties were waved , till this was over , but he got was a 1000 bucks
Old 03-20-2020, 08:46 AM   #3
Jim in CT

Quote:
Thats my point the seagulls will swoop in on the foreclosures of the little guy who would have been saved if his mortgage payments and interest and penalties were waved , till this was over , but he got was a 1000 bucks
i suspect, though don’t know for sure, that banks will be willing to give people who are severely impacted by this, a few months. banks don’t foreclose when you miss a payment or two, if there’s any reasonable chance you’ll get back in your feet, it’s better and cheaper for the banks to work with you. Id bet a lot that we don’t see foreclosures like we did in 2008. Giving everyone a little money does help the bartenders in the end, not because their 1,000 saves them, but because it increases the chance that things recover quicker.

there’s also a lot more to the aid than 1,000 checks to individuals. All kinds of loans and grants to small business. that will also help. minimizing unemployment is a high priority here, and helping businesses with a short term cash crunch, will keep unemployment down.
Old 03-20-2020, 09:46 AM   #4
wdmso

Quote:
i suspect, though don’t know for sure, that banks will be willing to give people who are severely impacted by this, a few months. banks don’t foreclose when you miss a payment or two, if there’s any reasonable chance you’ll get back in your feet, it’s better and cheaper for the banks to work with you. Id bet a lot that we don’t see foreclosures like we did in 2008. Giving everyone a little money does help the bartenders in the end, not because their 1,000 saves them, but because it increases the chance that things recover quicker.

there’s also a lot more to the aid than 1,000 checks to individuals. All kinds of loans and grants to small business. that will also help. minimizing unemployment is a high priority here, and helping businesses with a short term cash crunch, will keep unemployment down.
I have no faith that banks will defer anything.. you get 3 months behind on a mortgage plus late fees and your credit score destroyed you'll never recover even if you get back to work
Old 03-20-2020, 10:06 AM   #5
Jim in CT

Quote:
I have no faith that banks will defer anything.. you get 3 months behind on a mortgage plus late fees and your credit score destroyed you'll never recover even if you get back to work
we will see. obviously we both hope that people
impacted the most are given a chance to recover.

People claw their way back all the time. it’s not easy or quick, but it happens.

my hope is that the relief package provides loans to banks to allow them to be more forgiving than usual.

Saw that Amazon is hiring 100,000 new employees right away, that’s big.

like you, i’m lucky enough to not be too impacted, i can work from home. I wish everyone was as secure.
Old 03-20-2020, 02:36 PM   #6
spence

Quote:
my hope is that the relief package provides loans to banks to allow them to be more forgiving than usual
Banks will likely be just as forgiving as they are legally required to be.
Old 03-20-2020, 03:43 PM   #7
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
That's not what happened after 2008...
Old 03-22-2020, 07:52 PM   #8
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
Bank Of America going beyond...

https://www.foxbusiness.com/markets/...navirus-crisis