Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Grumpy Old Pharts Board

Grumpy Old Pharts Board Gerritol, Ex-Lax, Immodium, Bad Breath - all requirements for the Grumpy Board

Old 02-15-2023, 04:36 PM   #1
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

Anderson Warranty Support is the worse

Contractor installed a series 400 inswing patio door and two side panels early this past fall. A month or so later we noticed the gasket keep falling out of the channel on the bottom, to the point the contractor said it should be replaced, well months and months and months later the lumber supply store he bought them from tells me they have just one certified (required for warranty work) tech in the area and he is also busy with his own business and just fits in the warranty work. Unbelievably bad support IMHO and we have started to go up the food chain. Figures Andersons facebook page doesn't even allow you to comment and start a thread.
Got Stripers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2023, 06:00 PM   #2
Guppy
User

Is the sill adjustable?
Guppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2023, 06:22 PM   #3
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guppy View Post
Is the sill adjustable?
Door is adjusted, but open the door three times and the gasket will drop of the channel I one or two.
Old 02-15-2023, 08:43 PM   #4
Nebe

How about some adhesive of some sort to hold the gasket in?
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Nebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2023, 08:45 PM   #5
Nebe

Dow 795 for example. Good stuff
Old 02-15-2023, 10:36 PM   #6
redlite

We have run into similar issues over the past 3 years with Anderson products. IMHO they are overpriced and just paying for the name that is being run on their coat tails. A lot of homeowners feel they want / need Anderson's based on thier reputation. We have been more and more steering customers to Harvey windows/ doors as feel same/ better quality and a much better price point.
Still have had issues with harvies but mostly due to handling damage during transport on delivery but they have had people out instantly and stood by their products.
It sucks when u pay an arm and leg for a product that u expect to last issue free for years and right away have issues with or have to mcgyver out of the box. Loss of quality control and pride in stuff these days all the way from to design to manufacture and especially delivery. Happens when u get crap employees the whole way thru process and food chain top to bottom. People just don't care
2P10 glue is a marvelous thing to have around the house. Super glue on steroids as it is extra distilled over regular super glue. Amazing #^&#^&#^&#^& that can fix pretty much anything. a dab of it should resolve most of your problem in a last ditch effort if Anderson won't resolve as may void any warranty if u as homeowner try to resolve so be aware
redlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2023, 06:40 AM   #7
Rmarsh

All we use is Harvey windows.....hundreds of houses. Very rarely have warranty issues. When we do they respond immediately.
Rmarsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2023, 06:54 AM   #8
piemma
Very Grumpy bay man

I have used Anderson, Harvey and Pella. No issues wth Harvey or Pella. Andersons are not the quality they once were.
Personally, I lke the Pella windows and french doors. The Pella folks stand by their product and will come onsite to make adjustments.

No boat, back in the suds.
piemma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2023, 07:01 AM   #9
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

I’d have broken out the glue, except Peg is stuck on the principal and wants it brought back to new. We have three other similar doors, so we were sort off locked into matching them when the seals failed on this one as it gets the most pounding from our coastal storms. The Marvin windows and doors that went into the cottage rebuild has some issues, mostly stupid design flaws.
Old 02-16-2023, 07:15 AM   #10
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

Quote:
Originally Posted by piemma View Post
I have used Anderson, Harvey and Pella. No issues wth Harvey or Pella. Andersons are not the quality they once were.
Personally, I lke the Pella windows and french doors. The Pella folks stand by their product and will come onsite to make adjustments.

Sorry to have to disagree with some of this, Paul.

I am one of many local contractors that will not install Pella products as the company has a history of laying the blame for window failures on the contractor, actually putting one company out of business. Their designs were flawed, at least in this coastal environment. Awful company with bad product line of windows but a very large legal department... Their sliding door design is an excellent one. But as far as windows, I won't pass up any opportunity to dump on their quality or business ethics.

“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed, unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms.” – James Madison.
nightfighter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2023, 08:06 AM   #11
redlite

Just last summer we did a major, major Reno.
We replaced 2 windows with mega triple casements. Customer insisted on Pellas to Stay consistent with rest of windows in house not getting replaced.
Well when moved to basement portion of Reno there was water issue from the older pellas of the same design. Well it turned out that those 10 yr old pellas had failed in some way and been leaking which rotted out sill across whole back of house. This is after we had just removed a 2 story brick chimney, resided whole back of house with stain R&R ceder shingles trim, etc
I spent 2 days with hose water test and the culprit was the corner welds on the pellas had failed and was nearly impossible to detect with naked eye. Of course no recourse from pella. Some plastic weld repair took care of it. Had to replace sill and all from inside. Was a joy
I had suspected it was the corner welds as had encountered same issue on 6 mth old Newpros installed by newpro ( u see and hear their commercials all the time). on another job. "New construction" windows. They are crap. Corner welds opening up. At least Newpro did send out a crew to repair that fiasco. Seems Newpro makes 1 window that works as a replacement or if new construction has a flange kit that snaps on. Terrible cost saving design
There just isn't much quailty
Old 02-16-2023, 08:30 AM   #12
piemma
Very Grumpy bay man

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightfighter View Post
Sorry to have to disagree with some of this, Paul.

I am one of many local contractors that will not install Pella products as the company has a history of laying the blame for window failures on the contractor, actually putting one company out of business. Their designs were flawed, at least in this coastal environment. Awful company with bad product line of windows but a very large legal department... Their sliding door design is an excellent one. But as far as windows, I won't pass up any opportunity to dump on their quality or business ethics.
Ross, you have a lot more experience than me but I put n a couple dozen Pella replacement windows in the last 2 years and have not had any callbacks or issues.

Old 02-16-2023, 04:58 PM   #13
Rmarsh

Latest trend is black windows...these are from Harvey

Last edited by Rmarsh; 08-26-2023 at 05:58 AM..
Old 02-16-2023, 08:47 PM   #14
Nebe

I’m a sucker for the black windows but I know they are a trend. I live in a little white farmhouse built in 1850 with the original windows .. I wouldn’t dare replace them, but if I did it would be with those Harvey’s
Old 02-16-2023, 09:08 PM   #15
redlite

Haven't put any black windows in yet but def seems to be growing trend esp in LC. Heard big price increase on them over traditional white. I think contrast is sharp. Prob look better over the long run too with less Maintenence.
Old 02-17-2023, 06:58 AM   #16
Rmarsh

Quote:
Originally Posted by redlite View Post
Haven't put any black windows in yet but def seems to be growing trend esp in LC. Heard big price increase on them over traditional white. I think contrast is sharp. Prob look better over the long run too with less Maintenence.

Lot of customers have been choosing black for.. door hardware....hinges and knobs ...along with black faucets... shower head and valve...toilet handle....for quite a bit more money than chrome.
Old 02-17-2023, 08:10 AM   #17
redlite

Yeah hardware encountering that, esp faucets. Can't wait 7 yrs from now when all the brushed nickel/ shiny being replaced by black now people will keep me busy switching back to gold ..:...
Old 02-17-2023, 09:24 AM   #18
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

Hey not to be politically incorrect but you know what they say.
Old 02-17-2023, 03:01 PM   #19
piemma
Very Grumpy bay man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmarsh View Post
Lot of customers have been choosing black for.. door hardware....hinges and knobs ...along with black faucets... shower head and valve...toilet handle....for quite a bit more money than chrome.
We have a black Corian double bowl sink in the kitchen. Jeanne had to special order it...ugh!

Old 02-17-2023, 05:16 PM   #20
Guppy
User

Pella is like a fancy restaurant with all the buttons and whistles and the food stinks…. IMHO
Old 02-18-2023, 04:51 AM   #21
piemma
Very Grumpy bay man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guppy View Post
Pella is like a fancy restaurant with all the buttons and whistles and the food stinks…. IMHO
Ray, like I said, no ssues on my part. I went back and looked: 31 Pella windows and 2 Pella french doors. No complaints. Perhaps I'm just lucky.

Old 02-19-2023, 01:54 PM   #22
Jimbo

Had my house on the Cape done by Anderson last year, all windows and big back slider. Been very happy so far, but have to have a lock replaced on one window. The lock mechanism liooks like it's plastic and seems to have shattered.
My cousin is the Anderson a sales guy for the Cape, and I've had the installer do other jobs for me, so I'm hoping it won't be a big deal, but thanks for the heads-up on what you guys have experienced.

Fishing is a... discipline in the equality of men - for all men are equal before fish. ~Herbert Hoover
Jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2023, 04:55 PM   #23
Guppy
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by piemma View Post
Ray, like I said, no ssues on my part. I went back and looked: 31 Pella windows and 2 Pella french doors. No complaints. Perhaps I'm just lucky.
Paul,, I guess I got a little carried away with my opinion,,,, I know they make as good a product as any of them, and glad they worked out well for you…. my negativity comes from a few bad experiences with the product and local sales outfit…… windows in homes in coastal communities is a whole different animal…. :-)
Old 02-22-2023, 07:42 AM   #24
Rmarsh

dbl post
Old 02-22-2023, 07:44 AM   #25
Rmarsh

For years all our high end customers preferred Pella.
One nice optional feature on the casements was between the glass slim shades. We tried all the major brands out there and settled on Marvin windows for quality and available options as the brand we recommended to our customers when wooden windows reigned. Now the company I work for is all in on the Harvey vinyl windows.
Old 02-22-2023, 09:34 AM   #26
Nebe

Nothing says quality and craftsmanship like vinyl.
Old 02-22-2023, 11:27 AM   #27
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebe View Post
Most of my house has Harvey replacements from the late 80’s and they are built to last.
spence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2023, 11:29 AM   #28
Rmarsh

Quote:

Every house we do now is aluminum covered trim and gutters with vinyl siding and windows. Last couple of times we had high winds... over 50... some pieces were blown off.

We used to do the whole exterior with wood products...gutters and shutters etc. ....even the roofing sometimes!
With wood gutters we used to put 3/8" spacer blocks behind it to not rot out the facia......mitered corners and returns leaded outlets and joints chiseled in and tacks along all the edges and sealed.
outlet holes drilled with a bit brace.....old ...almost forgotten ways

Last edited by Rmarsh; 02-22-2023 at 11:35 AM..
Old 02-22-2023, 04:25 PM   #29
Nebe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmarsh View Post
Every house we do now is aluminum covered trim and gutters with vinyl siding and windows. Last couple of times we had high winds... over 50... some pieces were blown off.

We used to do the whole exterior with wood products...gutters and shutters etc. ....even the roofing sometimes!
With wood gutters we used to put 3/8" spacer blocks behind it to not rot out the facia......mitered corners and returns leaded outlets and joints chiseled in and tacks along all the edges and sealed.
outlet holes drilled with a bit brace.....old ...almost forgotten ways
That is how the west was won right there, but as you said in another thread, you need folks with good hands and a good head and eyes that can make that product fast and clean. I am about to build a 20x20 post and beam barn at my house and i think i will make wood gutters for it.
Old 02-22-2023, 05:56 PM   #30
Guppy
User

Quote:

I’m on my second scotch, are joking? :-)

Quote:
That is how the west was won right there, but as you said in another thread, you need folks with good hands and a good head and eyes that can make that product fast and clean. I am about to build a 20x20 post and beam barn at my house and i think i will make wood gutters for it.
I remember doing let in lead on asphalt roof cement… old school baby!

Line um with metal….