Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » DIY - Forum

DIY - Forum Do It Yourself for Non-Fishing Items

Old 02-02-2023, 10:45 PM   #1
Slipknot
Super Moderator

I saw it a lot when I was working out in the field a lot in the 80's and 90's installing but been mostly in my shop custom work last couple of decades. I know during the 80's building boom when work was plentiful, hackers came out of the woodwork to make a buck not knowing what they were doing. Same thing happens again when times are good.
But with today's young people feeling entitled and not willing to "EARN" it like we all did, I don't know how the stuff will get done. It literally is a competition among customers to find and hire competent tradesmen.
I am going thru a bit of it myself building an inlaw space at my home for my wife's mother. Been doing ok so far hiring the right people for the most part. Doing as much as I can myself of course but it is costing a small fortune for a 20x36 addition. Waiting on rough electrical now before we can insulate. Once this is done, I then will remodel my kitchen before I totally destroy my body.

I think the level of care is just not there with many people when things are busy especially. Maybe greed has something to do with it.
I find myself taking more time to do jobs these days because I am even more fussy than I need to be or ever was, but it has to be right no matter what it costs me as the priority is quality first. Materials have been a problem last few years, corners get cut and stuff gets shipped so I find myself having to fix crap I buy if it's not worth the hassle of getting replacement. pretty sad.
Slipknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2023, 05:57 AM   #2
Rmarsh

Any trade, and especially carpentry, requires training.
You cant just buy a compound saw, strap on a tool belt. watch a few youtube videos and "voila" you're a carpenter.
It takes a few years of learning the basics as an "apprentice"....now there's a word you hardly ever hear...nobody ever calls themselves an apprentice anymore....they're a carpenter ...which is ridiculous. I'm not talking about shop class or vocational school. I mean on the job doing real work, under the close supervision of a "master carpenter".
If you start out your career working for a hacker you're not likely to become any more than that. You also need to accept criticism....sometimes harsh criticism....with a little cursing....to emphasize..... when you're not doing things correctly.....or taking too long to do a task.
I got yelled at daily by the best carpenter I've known to this day....but I was determined to tough it out and took it like a man.....and not quit over hurt feelings.....learned a hell of a lot from that guy while everyone else quit.
If you get your "feelings" hurt and take it personal and quit the first time you get yelled at, you'll never make it through said "apprenticeship".
In addition to that I've seen so many guys who fail at it due to the lack of basic math skills and reading comprehension. On top of that it is a physically demanding profession and will wear you out and takes its toll on your body.
My sister asked if i had work for her husband who was laid off from Shaws. I said sure he can help me with a roofing job I am doing.
I gave him the easy job. Later that evening my sister called and asked "what did you do to Peter".... "Why" I asked.
"Well" she said "he was so tired that he ate dinner and went right to bed saying he was worn out and hurting".
Rmarsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2023, 08:09 AM   #3
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmarsh View Post
Any trade, and especially carpentry, requires training.
You cant just buy a compound saw, strap on a tool belt. watch a few youtube videos and "voila" you're a carpenter.
It takes a few years of learning the basics as an "apprentice"....now there's a word you hardly ever hear...nobody ever calls themselves an apprentice anymore....they're a carpenter ...which is ridiculous. I'm not talking about shop class or vocational school. I mean on the job doing real work, under the close supervision of a "master carpenter".
If you start out your career working for a hacker you're not likely to become any more than that. You also need to accept criticism....sometimes harsh criticism....with a little cursing....to emphasize..... when you're not doing things correctly.....or taking too long to do a task.
I got yelled at daily by the best carpenter I've known to this day....but I was determined to tough it out and took it like a man.....and not quit over hurt feelings.....learned a hell of a lot from that guy while everyone else quit.
If you get your "feelings" hurt and take it personal and quit the first time you get yelled at, you'll never make it through said "apprenticeship".
In addition to that I've seen so many guys who fail at it due to the lack of basic math skills and reading comprehension. On top of that it is a physically demanding profession and will wear you out and takes its toll on your body.
My sister asked if i had work for her husband who was laid off from Shaws. I said sure he can help me with a roofing job I am doing.
I gave him the easy job. Later that evening my sister called and asked "what did you do to Peter".... "Why" I asked.
"Well" she said "he was so tired that he ate dinner and went right to bed saying he was worn out and hurting".
A lot of good comments here, but this one really hits on the way things used to be done... When I first went out on my own I was able to team up with a gruff, ex-biker, Viet Nam vet who a lot of people did not care for in the trades and especially those who had worked under him at the construction firm I had been working for. He had the skills and experience. I had the education, contacts, and patience. I ran the business, but he ran the show. I learned SO MUCH from him. I was the paymaster every Friday, but I was his whipping boy for the rest of the week. I had hired the best teacher, even if he lacked some social skills. We lasted just over ten years. Not all relationships are meant to be forever, business or social. But we always overbuilt, had a clean/neat jobsite at the end of the day, every day, and did not ever say "that's good enough". I carry those with me today, on every job. I definitely don't have the largest bank account, or the highest profit margins. But I carry the pride in my work, that has MY NAME on it. I would love to have skilled, caring, neat tradespeople working with me every day, just like they show on This Old House. I just don't know where to find them... And the toll on the body is real.

“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed, unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms.” – James Madison.
nightfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2023, 08:17 AM   #4
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

Actually, a number of you have met this guy I speak of.... #^&#^&#^&#^&. I brought him on one or two Cuttyhunk trips! Clammer remembers....

“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed, unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms.” – James Madison.
nightfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2023, 05:29 PM   #5
Guppy
User

Sold a couple boat stands on ebay, a dad shows up today with his 16 yr old son who paid for them… he goes to cape cod tech and works for a boat build / repair outfit in Orleans… he’s project boat is a 20’ ? Formula …… 16 and knows what he wants and working hard to get there,,,, I told him I have a bunch of supplies left over and to get in touch and it’s his,,,,
There is hope for the future….

Last edited by Guppy; 02-03-2023 at 06:11 PM..
Guppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2023, 12:01 PM   #6
Rmarsh

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightfighter View Post
A lot of good comments here, but this one really hits on the way things used to be done... When I first went out on my own I was able to team up with a gruff, ex-biker, Viet Nam vet who a lot of people did not care for in the trades and especially those who had worked under him at the construction firm I had been working for. He had the skills and experience. I had the education, contacts, and patience. I ran the business, but he ran the show. I learned SO MUCH from him. I was the paymaster every Friday, but I was his whipping boy for the rest of the week. I had hired the best teacher, even if he lacked some social skills. We lasted just over ten years. Not all relationships are meant to be forever, business or social. But we always overbuilt, had a clean/neat jobsite at the end of the day, every day, and did not ever say "that's good enough". I carry those with me today, on every job. I definitely don't have the largest bank account, or the highest profit margins. But I carry the pride in my work, that has MY NAME on it. I would love to have skilled, caring, neat tradespeople working with me every day, just like they show on This Old House. I just don't know where to find them... And the toll on the body is real.

Ross...the guy who broke me in as a scrawny 18 year old was 32....had done his basic training at Paris Island and after discharged took advantage of gi bill and went to Wentworth institute of Technology where graduated with honors....i know of other guys who dropped out.... heard its extremely tough.

Neat? this guy had a crewcut....matching pressed tan work pants and shirt with pocket protector. He had to be 6'3...but lean. Always had his lunch box with like 4 sandwhiches and stainless thermos. Had to sit with him at lunchtime and all he would talk about was what we were going to do next....while he was chewing.
When we framed he turned into a maniac....barking out orders....sometimes saying mean things. One time another guy got hired and then nailed the ceiling strapping on the wrong or opposite side of the chalk line. Boss went nuts....knocking it all down with a sledge....swearing like you wouldnt believe. Guy comes running out and tells me "that guys nuts" and left.
It wasnt all bad though... He had a huge newly built fully equipped shop stocked with an inventory of building materials....i liked that I got to run all the big shop tools..once he showed me....thickness planer was my favorite.. we used it a lot....but joiners....shapers etc.
The town where he was the prominent builder was a beautiful seaside down here just off cape that I knew little about but it was definitely upscale from what I came from....and i liked it being a short commute. Became so familiar with towns people and places...i felt like a townie.

I stayed with him and i learned all i could.....which was enough to build a home for myself 4 years later. We parted a few years later in 1980 when I got offers for bigger and better things. I talked to him just recently.....hes 81 now and remembers me.
Rmarsh is offline   Reply With Quote