Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 09-29-2020, 01:18 PM   #1
detbuch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete F. View Post
Tax is the least of it. The article offers direct evidence of Trump’s impending financial liability to unknown lenders, and of pervasive conflicts of interest as president, that are of grave national security concern.

The consulting fees that Trump’s various foreign businesses paid to Ivanka Trump and others look potentially fraudulent. The Times article cites 20 percent consulting fees that foreign Trump businesses regularly deducted by reason of paying them to unnamed consultants. Some of these fees pertained to activities in which Trump’s role as an investor was ostensibly entirely passive, meaning that he wasn’t engaged in making any of the business decisions. Consulting fees also appear to have been paid to family members such as Ivanka Trump. She got consulting fees with respect to businesses for which she simultaneously worked as an executive, and thus as an employee.

Based on what the article says, several different types of fraud may have been involved here. Fees paid to family members who did not provide services in return would be improper deductions. Fees paid to “consultants” who were employees might be properly deductible by the business – as salary – but would potentially trigger 3.8 percent payroll tax liability by the recipient under the so-called Medicare payroll tax. Fees that were actually gifts to family members were not properly deductible, and also may have generated gift tax liability on Trump’s part that the mislabeling helped to conceal.
There is an old saying that one can never detect tax fraud purely on the face of a tax return – but this comes closer than usual. – Even wholly fraudulent tax returns generally do not proclaim their fraudulence on their face. The Trump returns presumably are no exception, and much of the evidence suggesting possible fraudulence was developed in the Times article through the use of other sources. Nonetheless, with that aid, the Times article makes a powerful initial case, clearly meriting investigation, that substantial tax fraud may have occurred.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
It is amazing how you are able to transform "may have" into what seems like certainty.
Old 09-29-2020, 01:29 PM   #2
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
Originally Posted by detbuch View Post
It is amazing how you are able to transform "may have" into what seems like certainty.
There’s a reason Tweety has to hide his returns, it would be so easy to just release them and disprove all the claims. But he can’t because he is a conman. His main con is to present himself as a winner. “I am a successful businessman,” is one of his most successful lies, and it is upon that lie that he built his political career. In fact—as has been widely reported—he declared bankruptcy multiple times, and squandered the fortune his father built through bad business ventures. Now, thanks to new reporting from the Times, we have even greater insight into how his finances are under stress.

It’s also been widely reported that Trump got where he is by cheating, but his supporters either don’t care or don’t read or believe the reports that document Trump’s misdeeds. Trump’s fans think he is a winner because he accumulated wealth (and it doesn’t matter how), he fights with their enemies (liberals, the “elites,” Democrats, and immigrants they perceive are stealing their jobs), and he breaks rules. Anti-democratic movements are generally marked by cynicism and the belief that everyone lies and cheats, so the winner is the one who is best at cheating.

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Niles: You have met “people”, haven’t you?

Lets Go Darwin
Old 09-29-2020, 04:19 PM   #3
detbuch

Quote:
There’s a reason Tweety has to hide his returns, it would be so easy to just release them and disprove all the claims. But he can’t because he is a conman. His main con is to present himself as a winner. “I am a successful businessman,” is one of his most successful lies, and it is upon that lie that he built his political career. In fact—as has been widely reported—he declared bankruptcy multiple times, and squandered the fortune his father built through bad business ventures. Now, thanks to new reporting from the Times, we have even greater insight into how his finances are under stress.

It’s also been widely reported that Trump got where he is by cheating, but his supporters either don’t care or don’t read or believe the reports that document Trump’s misdeeds. Trump’s fans think he is a winner because he accumulated wealth (and it doesn’t matter how), he fights with their enemies (liberals, the “elites,” Democrats, and immigrants they perceive are stealing their jobs), and he breaks rules. Anti-democratic movements are generally marked by cynicism and the belief that everyone lies and cheats, so the winner is the one who is best at cheating.
This all sounds very familiar. Old news?
Old 09-29-2020, 07:01 PM   #4
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
This all sounds very familiar. Old news?
Nothing new about Trump, he’s been running a con his whole life

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Lets Go Darwin
Old 09-29-2020, 08:56 PM   #5
detbuch

Quote:
Nothing new about Trump, he’s been running a con his whole life
That's an old talking point. BTW, Biden has been conning us for over 40 years. But's that's old news too. It's just not talked about as much by his friendly media cons. Come to think of it, you're a pretty consistent con yourself.
Old 09-29-2020, 09:44 PM   #6
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
That's an old talking point. BTW, Biden has been conning us for over 40 years. But's that's old news too. It's just not talked about as much by his friendly media cons. Come to think of it, you're a pretty consistent con yourself.
It’s been true since Trump appeared in the media, so sure it’s old news.
Con man forever

Lets Go Darwin
Old 09-30-2020, 01:32 AM   #7
detbuch

Quote:
It’s been true since Trump appeared in the media, so sure it’s old news.
Con man forever
It truly is a talking point. And its true that Biden cons a lot. As do you.