Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Main Forum » Boat Fishing & Boating

Boat Fishing & Boating A new forum at Striped-Bass.com for those fishing from boats and for boating in general

Old 07-26-2021, 05:12 AM   #1
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

Throwable PFD device?

What do you have? Looking for 20' CC. Currently have 3/8 x 50' paracord that I will tie to seat cushion. Not seeing much designed for the 16-23' range...

Such a poorly written requirement...

Last edited by nightfighter; 07-29-2021 at 06:36 AM..

“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed, unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms.” – James Madison.
nightfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 06:54 AM   #2
Linesider82

I don't believe a throwable has to be tied to anything, it just has to be throwable. I have one of those square seat cushion types, which I like because it's easily stowable.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Linesider82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 06:56 AM   #3
Guppy
User

AC6B9EF1-BB17-4C78-A519-2724C2368F9C.jpeg

And pullin / movin anchor
Guppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 07:17 AM   #4
JFigliuolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linesider82 View Post
I don't believe a throwable has to be tied to anything, it just has to be throwable. I have one of those square seat cushion types, which I like because it's easily stowable.
Doesn't NEED to be tied to anything, but If I'm in the water and NEED a throwable tossed to me, I hope to god it is.

Picture this:
Windy, rough, cold. Your kid for some freak reason is not wearing his PFD, goes over, you toss a throwable and it blows away. Now you have NO throwable. The wind/waves make it tough to get along side him (disregarding a spinning prop). So maybe you jump in to save his life (not thinking or not able to have a line tied to you and the boat) . Now you AND your son are separated from a boat carried by the wind/current.

Seconds matter when the unexpected happens.

Last edited by JFigliuolo; 07-26-2021 at 07:23 AM..

Good judgement comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgement -- Keith Benning
JFigliuolo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 07:51 AM   #5
Rockfish9

I have a ring with My name, and vessel Reg# on it, 25' of 3/8 polly and a small float attached to the bitter end...it hangs on a hook on the front of my console.

A good run is better than a bad stand!
Rockfish9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 03:37 PM   #6
Guppy
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFigliuolo View Post
Doesn't NEED to be tied to anything, but If I'm in the water and NEED a throwable tossed to me, I hope to god it is.

Picture this:
Windy, rough, cold. Your kid for some freak reason is not wearing his PFD, goes over, you toss a throwable and it blows away. Now you have NO throwable. The wind/waves make it tough to get along side him (disregarding a spinning prop). So maybe you jump in to save his life (not thinking or not able to have a line tied to you and the boat) . Now you AND your son are separated from a boat carried by the wind/current.

Joe, please disregard,,,, elderly brain fart, happens a lot lately…. ;-(

Jesus Ross, calm down will ya… get that boat in the water and go fishin…. ;-)

Oops,, Sorry Ross and plan a weekend down here with me for Albys in September

B safe

Last edited by Guppy; 07-26-2021 at 05:48 PM..
Guppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 06:04 PM   #7
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

Yah yah yah.....I'm down for albies and tog this fall. Hope to see some of the regular characters down on Buzzards Bay this year! I will be fishing my boat by this weekend, finally.

“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed, unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms.” – James Madison.
Old 07-26-2021, 11:29 PM   #8
Linesider82

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFigliuolo View Post

Picture this:

I'm glad you brought this scenario up, I'm going to pass on the fact that my kids are in pfds 100% of the time and that I'm trying to do the same as an example. Your example does highlight the picture Ross had of a rigid throwable with a rope.

My boat doesn't have room for that and for "god's sake" I am not boating in conditions to place my family in that situation. However, you are very correct the unexpected is guaranteed to happen.

We were anchored in Cape Poge bay last week on MV and i should have just tied a line off the rear cleat to toss to anyone. My wife said I think we drifted a lot since we stopped (not anchored) we had not moved more than 15ft. So then I anchored. It was slack inside the bay, and the tide began to drop. At this point, the kids had already been swimming a half hour, and when my wife finally got in and out I said hey why don't you go get our son who's drifting away. I felt like I was speaking Spanish.

I bet a lot of people could not throw a rigid throwable and line to save a life much like a cast net.

Thank you Jfig. I'm going to invent room for this.
Old 07-28-2021, 03:11 PM   #9
wdmso

Have you looked at these rescue bags small with floating line that you throw so people or the line can drift towards them?
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg DE6D835F-B494-44E7-9786-4129D5033267.jpeg (126.9 KB, 6 views)
wdmso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 05:52 AM   #10
Rmarsh

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdmso View Post
Have you looked at these rescue bags small with floating line that you throw so people or the line can drift towards them?

I have that throw bag on board in addition to a ring bouy ....surprising how far and accurate it can be deployed.
Rmarsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 06:43 AM   #11
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

I like the throw bag....Looks to be most accurate tool for the job. Doesn't quite check all the boxes for such a poorly written/defined safety requirement, but certainly makes it easily stored and available. Any brand names? I see Mustang, Stearns....

Old 07-29-2021, 04:17 PM   #12
niko

30" ring attached to a 75' throw bag

my 1st wife didn't like me fishing so much
niko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 07:45 AM   #13
Ian
Idiot

I’ve got an inflatable throwable, compact for a small CC, but still inflates for the person being thrown to. It helps with throwing accuracy too.

If you’re interested, I still have my old life sling that the inflatable replaced.
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 09:59 AM   #14
Linesider82

just ordered a throw bag, thank you guys
Old 08-10-2021, 04:35 PM   #15
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

Well, which one?

Old 08-11-2021, 07:50 AM   #16
Linesider82

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightfighter View Post
Well, which one?
Zixar 98' throwbag. It has a carabiner on the end you hold and a hard plastic ring with a throw strap on the bag you throw. It'll work well, and it'll fit in a tight space aprx size is 4"tall x8"wide x12"long