Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » DIY - Forum

DIY - Forum Do It Yourself for Non-Fishing Items

Old 11-05-2019, 05:17 AM   #1
Rmarsh

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishermanTim View Post
makes you wonder how they got their job and license?

The kids, unfortunately, are being taught by an idiot and unless they get better, more complete instructions, are going to end up perpetuating those same bad work skills.

You nailed it Tim....The guy is a hacker, his work is awful, and his young apprentices will be as bad or worse than he is. He is also a part time inspector.

I was fortunate to have learned my trade from two of the finest craftsmen I have ever met, both were Wentworth graduates and had many years in the home building trade. They showed me methods I may never had learned on my own.

My company hired a young carpenter, very nice kid, hard worker, humble, and very willing to learn. When I see him having trouble with a certain task, or not sure about something, I show him how its done. It makes my day when he comes back later and says
"Thank you for showing me that"
Rmarsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 06:09 AM   #2
Guppy
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmarsh View Post
You nailed it Tim....The guy is a hacker, his work is awful, and his young apprentices will be as bad or worse than he is. He is also a part time inspector.

I was fortunate to have learned my trade from two of the finest craftsmen I have ever met, both were Wentworth graduates and had many years in the home building trade. They showed me methods I may never had learned on my own.

My company hired a young carpenter, very nice kid, hard worker, humble, and very willing to learn. When I see him having trouble with a certain task, or not sure about something, I show him how its done. It makes my day when he comes back later and says
Came back to haunt me, ended up competing with a couple of them :-)
All good!
Guppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 07:29 AM   #3
piemma
Very Grumpy bay man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmarsh View Post

Great stuff!

No boat, back in the suds.
piemma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 03:31 PM   #4
bloocrab
Callinectes sapidus

Just like with any other trade, not everyone should be a plumber.

If you weren't taught good work ethic while growing up...or didn't figure it out soon enough on your own, you'll probably never "get it".

That toilet obviously slid while they were positioning it...and they KNEW it, but decided to just slide it back INSTEAD of doing the right thing by removing it and checking. They didn't want to waste another wax ring...so they flushed and walked away.

Some companies grow to the point where the contractor's original passion for quality diminishes as he has to hire on more people than he can supervise... then the added income totally blinds him into believing that he can sacrifice quality for quantity. That's when the spiral affect begins...it takes time, but word gets out and he joins the circle of "hacks".

...it finally happened, there are no more secret spots
bloocrab is offline   Reply With Quote