Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 03-25-2022, 03:39 PM   #1
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete F. View Post
I think she has already answered that question, you just don’t like the answer.

So you’re implying the WH is giving special treatment to Judge Jackson, is somehow like the fact there were 4500 tips to FBI about Brett Kavanaugh that the WH didn’t have DOJ investigate during his hearings?
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
(1) i asked you why she waited. you refused to answer. we all know why.

(2) of course the white house is giving her special treatment. they’re giving her a job that they refused to consider the vast majority of the population for, based on things we can’t control.
Old 03-25-2022, 06:53 AM   #2
Jim in CT

Quote:
If Judge Jackson was soft on crime, then why is she being supported by the Fraternal Order of Police and the International Association of Chiefs of Police?

The answer is simple—she’s not soft on crime. She’s also really, really qualified.
i just read the statement of the FOP endorsing her, and it was complimentary in many areas. it also very specifically said part of the reason they endorsed her is to make the court look like america. it’s just such an absurd,, stupid thing to say.

People can’t control their skin color. Skin color says absolutely nothing about anyone.
Old 03-25-2022, 04:01 PM   #3
spence

I think Jim’s butthurt in this thread could set a record.
Old 03-25-2022, 04:03 PM   #4
Pete F.
Canceled

In a HUGE loss for Republican Senators Tom Cotton, Ted Cruz, Lindsay Graham, and Josh Hawley, officials from the American Bar Association testify at Judge Ketanji Brown Jackson’s hearing that ALL of their accusations against her are false.
Old 03-26-2022, 10:36 AM   #5
wdmso

American Bar Association rates Amy Coney Barrett as ‘well qualified’

the American Bar Association rates Ketanji Brown Jackson“Well Qualified,”

I guess this happens when people only look thru the lens of the Law

yet Thomas He received a unanimous qualified rating from the American Bar Association.
Old 03-27-2022, 07:53 PM   #6
Pete F.
Canceled

If it’s very easy to hate affirmative action, what is the group that reaped the largest benefit from it?
Old 03-27-2022, 08:15 PM   #7
Jim in CT

Quote:
If it’s very easy to hate affirmative action, what is the group that reaped the largest benefit from it?
i don’t think it’s simple.

https://www.theatlantic.com/national...action/263122/
Old 03-30-2022, 06:12 PM   #8
Pete F.
Canceled

“….but since I’m an originalist, I can’t possibly vote for a nominee that is only 3/5 of a Justice.”
Old 03-30-2022, 07:37 PM   #9
Jim in CT

Quote:
“….but since I’m an originalist, I can’t possibly vote for a nominee that is only 3/5 of a Justice.”

which party advocated for slavery? hint, it was the same party that advocated for segregation.
Old 03-30-2022, 09:01 PM   #10
Pete F.
Canceled

The hardest part about renouncing the Republican Party was turning my back on the orgies and cocaine
Old 03-31-2022, 07:26 AM   #11
Jim in CT

Quote:
The hardest part about renouncing the Republican Party was turning my back on the orgies and cocaine
because as we all know, there’s zero casual sex and drugs on the left. Zip.

do you ever read your rantings?
Old 03-31-2022, 08:34 AM   #12
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
because as we all know, there’s zero casual sex and drugs on the left. Zip.

do you ever read your rantings?
In the Republican Party, you can openly support armed revolt against the government--just don't embarrass anyone with comments about orgies/drugs.

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Niles: You have met “people”, haven’t you?

Lets Go Darwin
Old 03-31-2022, 08:44 AM   #13
Jim in CT

Quote:
In the Republican Party, you can openly support armed revolt against the government--just don't embarrass anyone with comments about orgies/drugs.
it was an armed revolt now? keeps getting more and more sinister. did they have nukes?

A lot of the republicans i like (not all but a lot) spoke out very loudly against january 6. i dint think america wants to hear that all republicans were behind an armed coup. but that’s probably a better line for the left than talking about crime, immigration, inflation, etc…

when some congressional democrats in 2016 tried to take the win from trump, i’m guessing you weren’t outraged.

Last edited by Jim in CT; 03-31-2022 at 09:25 AM..
Old 03-31-2022, 10:36 AM   #14
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
it was an armed revolt now? keeps getting more and more sinister. did they have nukes?

A lot of the republicans i like (not all but a lot) spoke out very loudly against january 6. i dint think america wants to hear that all republicans were behind an armed coup. but that’s probably a better line for the left than talking about crime, immigration, inflation, etc…

when some congressional democrats in 2016 tried to take the win from trump, i’m guessing you weren’t outraged.
No nukes, but a few pipe bombs.

I don't know that anyone, other than people playing the victim card, thinks that all republicans are behind an armed coup, but as is gradually coming to light the people in and associated with the former administration were engaged in a coup and actively sought the assistance of violent participants.

Madison Cawthorn on Jan. 6 admitted he was armed and had carried 'multiple weapons' in his wheelchair

At least three people arrested in connection with the Capitol riot are facing gun charges, though the government has not alleged that those three were part of the actual breach of the building. Other defendants are suspected of possessing guns during the riot but, like the vast majority of the estimated 800 rioters, were not searched that day.

Federal prosecutors say that Christopher Michael Alberts of Maryland was arrested on Capitol grounds on the evening of Jan. 6 while carrying a Taurus G2c 9 mm handgun with one round in the chamber and a full 12-round magazine. He also allegedly had an extra magazine in his pocket and was carrying a gas mask, pocket knife and first-aid kit.

Lonnie Leroy Coffman of Alabama was also arrested that evening after law enforcement found two firearms on his person, as well as what a federal judge referred to as a "small armory" in his truck, which was parked near the Capitol. According to the court, the government found "a loaded handgun," "a loaded rifle," "a loaded shotgun," "a crossbow with bolts," "several machetes," "a stun gun" and "11 mason jars containing a flammable liquid, with a hole punched in the top of each jar." According to the government, surveillance footage showed him "in attendance at the events at the Capitol," though he has not been charged with breaching the building.

Cleveland Grover Meredith of North Carolina planned to arrive in D.C. for the Trump rallies on Jan. 6, according to federal prosecutors, but he was delayed because of car trouble. He was arrested the following day for allegedly assaulting a man in Washington, D.C., in a traffic-related incident and for making death threats against the D.C. mayor and Pelosi.

During a search, law enforcement said they found in his possession "a Glock 19, nine millimeter pistol, a Tavor X95 assault rifle and approximately hundreds of rounds of ammunition." Citing text messages sent by Meredith, a federal prosecutor argued in court that he "relished in the carnage of January 6th."

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Lets Go Darwin
Old 03-31-2022, 11:37 AM   #15
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:

You must have missed that pic of that armed terrorist running through the Capitol wielding an Assault Podium.

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
Old 04-01-2022, 11:46 AM   #16
Pete F.
Canceled

In November 2020, days after the election, Rhodes, the leader of the Oath Keepers,
began disseminating messages to other Oath Keepers members and affiliates
delegitimizing the results of the election and encouraging them to forcibly oppose the
lawful transfer of presidential power. See Indictment at ¶ 18(a) (telling those on the
“Leadership intel sharing secured” chat (hereafter “Leadership Intel Chat”), on November
5, that they “MUST refuse to accept Biden as a legitimate winner” and warning, “We aren’t
getting through this without a civil war. Too late for that. Prepare your mind, body,
spirit.”). Rhodes circulated and highlighted an eight-step plan, allegedly from a Serbian
contact to overthrow the government, which included: (i) peaceful protest, (ii) complete
civil disobedience, (iii) connecting with the police and organizing neighborhoods,
(iv) swarming the streets and confronting opponents, (v) gathering in the capitol and
discarding barricades, (vi) police joining with the protestors after initial violence,
(vii) storming parliament, and (viii) destroying the state media. Id.
Rhodes followed this plan in the months after the presidential election. At his
direction, certain members of his organization began preparing for operations inside of
Washington, D.C. Indictment at ¶ 21. He further organized deadly weapons to aid in the
conspiracy. Heavily armed QRF teams would be minutes away, just outside the Capitol,
ready to support those on the ground. Id. at ¶¶ 42-45. All contingency plans were
considered. The conspirators even sought to ferry lethal weapons from Virginia by boat
into the Capitol, if the bridges were closed. Id. at ¶ 52
In December 2020, Rhodes focused his co-conspirators on the Certification
proceeding of January 6, 2021. During a December 22 interview with a regional Oath
Keepers leader, Rhodes described January 6 as “a hard constitutional deadline” for
stopping the transfer of presidential power and warned that if President-Elect Biden were
to assume the presidency, “We will have to do a bloody, massively bloody revolution
against them.” Indictment at ¶ 30. On December 23, Rhodes published an open letter on the Oath Keepers website in which he noted that, on January 6, “tens of thousands of patriot
Americans, both veterans and non-veterans, will already be in Washington D.C., and many
of us will have our mission-critical gear stowed nearby just outside D.C.” Id. at ¶ 31.
Rhodes warned in the open letter that he and others may have to “take to arms in defense
of our God given liberty.” Id.
Rhodes and his co-conspirators created and administered Signal chats with titles
like “DC OP: Jan 6 21” and “OKFL Hangout” for coordinating their plans for January 6.
Indictment at ¶¶ 38-40. They utilized encrypted messaging applications for these planning
chats and stressed the need for operational security. See, e.g., id. at ¶ 27. The coconspirators discussed being prepared to use violence to stop the “usurpers” from taking
control and what weapons they would bring and plans for the QRF. Id. at ¶ 41-56, 58-60.
On December 25, Rhodes wrote to the OKFL Hangout Chat, “I think Congress will screw
him [President Trump] over. The only chance we/he has is if we scare the #^&#^&#^&#^& out of them
and convince them it will be torches and pitchforks time is they don’t do the right thing.
But I don’t think they will listen.” Id. at ¶ 34. Rhodes went on to say, “And he [President
Trump] needs to know that if he fails to act, then we will. He needs to understand that we
will have no choice.” On December 31, one week before the Capitol attack, Rhodes wrote
to the Leadership Intel Chat, “There is no standard political or legal way out of this.”
B. Vallejo and His Co-Conspirators Prepared an Armed QRF To Support the
Plot to Stop the Transfer of Power
Vallejo and his co-conspirators coordinated at least three regional QRF teams
stationed at a Comfort Inn in Arlington, Virginia, to support the co-conspirators’ plot and
the January 6 Capitol attack. Indictment at ¶¶ 45-49. The QRF teams guarded an arsenal
of firearms and related equipment and were prepared to speed those weapons into the hands
of co-conspirators on the ground in Washington, D.C., when directed by Rhodes or other
conspiracy leaders. Id. Vallejo served on one of those QRF teams.
On December 31, 2020, Vallejo’s Arizona QRF team member messaged Rhodes on
Signal that Vallejo and others were coming to Washington, D.C., and that “everyone has their own technical equipment and knows how to use it,” adding a “winky face” emoji.
Indictment at ¶ 44. Rhodes responded, “awesome!” Id. The Arizona QRF team member
also said that Vallejo and the group would have “rifles” and “man power.” Id.
On January 3, 2021, Rhodes informed a co-conspirator on Signal, “We WILL have
a QRF. this situation calls for it.” Indictment at ¶ 50. In the following days, coconspirators communicated and implemented plans to bring weapons to the Comfort Inn.
Id. at ¶¶ 58-59, 63-65, 68-69. Vallejo messaged co-conspirator and Florida team lead Kelly
Meggs, “Sir, Ed Vallejo of Arizona in Tenn. With cadre requesting coordinates to Allied
encampment outside DC boundaries to rendezvous. Please respond ASAP. For the
Republic.” On January 5, Vallejo messaged Meggs again, “Please text location so we will
know where to begin in the morning.” Meggs responded with the address of the Comfort
Inn Ballston, where the co-conspirators staged their multiple QRF teams.
The day before the attack on the Capitol, on January 5, Meggs and his Florida team
dropped off at least three luggage carts’ worth of gun boxes, rifle cases, and suitcases filled
with ammunition with their QRF team. A second QRF team from North Carolina consisted
of four men who kept their rifles ready to go in a vehicle parked in the hotel lot. Later,
Vallejo and other members of the Arizona QRF team wheeled in bags and large bins of
weapons, ammunition, and essential supplies to last 30 days—as seen in the QRF hotel
surveillance stills below, showing Vallejo on the left and his Arizona QRF team member
on the right:

Lets Go Darwin
Old 04-01-2022, 02:23 PM   #17
Pete F.
Canceled

Conservatives are happier than liberals - but only because they lack empathy
https://www.thejournal.ie/conservati...71962-Sep2014/

Conservatives don't like yucky stuff

https://www.businessinsider.com/libe...erently-2018-1

Empathy and the Liberal-Conservative Political Divide in the U.S.

https://jspp.psychopen.eu/index.php/...icle/view/5209
Old 04-03-2022, 04:20 AM   #18
Pete F.
Canceled

Reminder: There's not "a" grand jury investigating Trump's flunkies.

DOJ has used at least six grand juries to investigate January 6.
Old 04-03-2022, 09:09 AM   #19
detbuch

Quote:
Reminder: There's not "a" grand jury investigating Trump's flunkies.

DOJ has used at least six grand juries to investigate January 6.
I know you're chompin at the bit. Patience.
Old 04-03-2022, 07:27 PM   #20
Pete F.
Canceled

Oh, as you can see I am patient
However I see Trumplicans are confused again
Donald Trump did not kill Bin Laden. He did invite the Taliban to Camp David on 9/11 though.
Old 04-03-2022, 08:30 PM   #21
detbuch

Quote:
Oh, as you can see I am patient
However I see Trumplicans are confused again

No, I can't see that you are patient. You've alreadly decided that Trump is guilty before that's been legally decided.

Donald Trump did not kill Bin Laden. He did invite the Taliban to Camp David on 9/11 though.
Biden invited the Taliban to take over Afghanistan.
Old 04-03-2022, 09:02 PM   #22
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
Originally Posted by detbuch View Post
Donald Trump released 5000 Taliban and leaders.

“The signing of the Doha agreement had a really pernicious effect on the government of Afghanistan and on its military – psychological more than anything else, but we set a date – certain for when we were going to leave and when they could expect all assistance to end,” McKenzie said.

He was referring to a February 29, 2020, agreement that the Trump administration signed with the Taliban in Doha, Qatar, in which the US promised to fully withdraw its troops by May 2021 and the Taliban committed to several conditions, including stopping attacks on US and coalition forces.

Lets Go Darwin
Old 04-03-2022, 09:42 PM   #23
detbuch

Quote:
Donald Trump released 5000 Taliban and leaders.

“The signing of the Doha agreement had a really pernicious effect on the government of Afghanistan and on its military – psychological more than anything else, but we set a date – certain for when we were going to leave and when they could expect all assistance to end,” McKenzie said.

He was referring to a February 29, 2020, agreement that the Trump administration signed with the Taliban in Doha, Qatar, in which the US promised to fully withdraw its troops by May 2021 and the Taliban committed to several conditions, including stopping attacks on US and coalition forces.
Old 04-04-2022, 02:17 AM   #24
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
Trump entered into an agreement with the Taliban excluding the Afghan government. It was signed February 2020. And it said that the United States will pull out all of its forces by May 1. And what was remarkable about it is that after February 2020 no American soldiers were killed in Afghanistan by the Taliban. So the Taliban held to their word of not killing Americans, but started killing all the educated classes of Afghans and destroying the government.
So Biden was left with a choice, start the war over by increasing boots on the ground or get out.
He made the correct choice after years of horrendous decisions by our government in Afghanistan.
Afghanistan was invaded because of 9/11, the majority involved in that attack were Saudi, no Afghans were there.

Lets Go Darwin
Old 04-05-2022, 07:11 PM   #25
Pete F.
Canceled

Detbuch thinks that nation building was the solution to Afghanistan.
Never mind that we tried for a couple of decades.
In his mind Afghanistan was worth more lives, never mind wealth.
Ukraine meh…..
Old 04-05-2022, 09:09 PM   #26
detbuch

Quote:
Detbuch thinks that nation building was the solution to Afghanistan.
Never mind that we tried for a couple of decades.
In his mind Afghanistan was worth more lives, never mind wealth.
Ukraine meh…..
Another one of your lies. I didn't say that. I said the opposite. I said, on this forum back in August of 2021:

"We should not have occupied Afghanistan to begin with. If they had Osama and wouldn't turn him over to us, we should have just carpet bombed that country and left a message on top of the rubble for the survivors and leaders that we would be back with more if they messed with us. I said that here on the forum way back then.

"Having not done that, but intruding ourselves into their wonderful Islamic nation, we should only have done it after totally defeating the Taliban, totally wiped it out, then peacefully cleaning up the mess we made, and offer them assistance in rebuilding and occupying for a while.

"We needed to leave. Maybe there was a better way. No opinion on that. Maybe there is a lesson to be learned. Islam is not peaceful. Nor is it compatible with our culture nor with democracy. Reforming it so that it would be compatible with Western values would be making it something totally different than it actually is."

You know that since I went back and forth with you in that thread with your insinuation that I wanted to commit genacide.

So, as you are wont to do, you lied about me here. As I have often said, you're a liar. It's one of the key elements in your consistent propaganda.
Old 04-06-2022, 03:19 AM   #27
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
Another one of your lies. I didn't say that. I said the opposite. I said, on this forum back in August of 2021:

"We should not have occupied Afghanistan to begin with. If they had Osama and wouldn't turn him over to us, we should have just carpet bombed that country and left a message on top of the rubble for the survivors and leaders that we would be back with more if they messed with us. I said that here on the forum way back then.

"Having not done that, but intruding ourselves into their wonderful Islamic nation, we should only have done it after totally defeating the Taliban, totally wiped it out, then peacefully cleaning up the mess we made, and offer them assistance in rebuilding and occupying for a while.

"We needed to leave. Maybe there was a better way. No opinion on that. Maybe there is a lesson to be learned. Islam is not peaceful. Nor is it compatible with our culture nor with democracy. Reforming it so that it would be compatible with Western values would be making it something totally different than it actually is."

You know that since I went back and forth with you in that thread with your insinuation that I wanted to commit genacide.

So, as you are wont to do, you lied about me here. As I have often said, you're a liar. It's one of the key elements in your consistent propaganda.
So we should have destroyed the Taliban before we built them a new nation?

Lets Go Darwin
Old 04-06-2022, 07:26 AM   #28
detbuch

Quote:
So we should have destroyed the Taliban before we built them a new nation?
The Taliban having been destroyed, wiped out, it would not be their nation. And we would not build that nation, but help clean up the destruction we caused, and then leave.

You lied saying I wanted to nation build. I said we should not have occupied Afghanistan in the first place.

BUT WE DID. We intruded ourselves into that nation, which I said we shouldn't have done. So, HAVING DONE THAT, we should have totally wiped out the Taliban, helped clean up the mess we made, occupying only for a while and assisting their rebuild, then leave.

I said we needed to leave.

You lied. Not unusual for you.

Last edited by detbuch; 04-06-2022 at 08:26 AM..
Old 04-06-2022, 11:22 AM   #29
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
The Taliban having been destroyed, wiped out, it would not be their nation. And we would not build that nation, but help clean up the destruction we caused, and then leave.

You lied saying I wanted to nation build. I said we should not have occupied Afghanistan in the first place.

BUT WE DID. We intruded ourselves into that nation, which I said we shouldn't have done. So, HAVING DONE THAT, we should have totally wiped out the Taliban, helped clean up the mess we made, occupying only for a while and assisting their rebuild, then leave.

I said we needed to leave.

You lied. Not unusual for you.
Umm, that’s the classic definition of nation building.

But here you go, the beginners guide to nation building

https://www.rand.org/content/dam/ran...RAND_MG557.pdf

Lets Go Darwin
Old 04-06-2022, 01:16 PM   #30
detbuch

Quote:
Umm, that’s the classic definition of nation building.

But here you go, the beginners guide to nation building

https://www.rand.org/content/dam/ran...RAND_MG557.pdf
Umm, what I said is nowhere near what your beginners guide requires. To begin with, I didn't say it was to be a liberation. I said it was to totally eradicate the Taliban. The purpose was to annihilate an enemy who refused to turn over another avowed enemy. The help to rebuild was merely to "help" refurbish the infrastructure we destroyed. The short time required to do that would also include sticking around long enough to assure that the Taliban in Afghanistan was inoperative or even to allow it to give up Bin Ladin, as much as that could be done. But I did not say to stay there for years. I mentioned nothing about all the other things listed in chapters 1-9 in your beginners guide. Perhaps you didn't read it.

BTW, I'm not against some of the things done in your guide's version of nation building. It would depend on circumstances. One circumstance that would make it perhaps too difficult, is trying to build an Islamic nation into a democratic Western style nation founded on individual freedom and secular rule of law. Islam is totally incompatible with such a nation.

Perhaps we could have done a Hiroshima/Nagasaki type operation. Utterly destroy one large Afghan city, and if that didn't cough up Bin Ladin, do it to another large city, and keep doing it until either we got Bin Ladin or the Taliban and Afghanistan was totally destroyed. Kinda like what Putin is doing to Ukraine, whatever his motive is.