Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Build Stuff: Custom Plug & Lure Building, Rod Building » Plug Building - Got Wood?

Plug Building - Got Wood? Got Plug?

Old 12-26-2005, 09:03 PM   #1
outnumbered
Registered Papa

Thumbs up Thank You Professor

Paul,

Thanks for the time you spent with me a couple of weeks ago. It is sparten and not the same caliber as yours but it works great. I still need to find some hardwood to make it a little nicer and there are some small refinements still to be done but it works.

Thanks again.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0096.jpg
Views:	247
Size:	112.1 KB
ID:	13229  
outnumbered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2005, 10:41 AM   #2
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

Hey Kevin my pleasure. Anything for a fellow Moriarty. Nice job. I am sure it will work out great for you. Paul

"A beach is a place where a man can feel he's the only soul in the world that's real"
ProfessorM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2005, 11:01 AM   #3
justplugit
Registered Grandpa

Question

Hey Paul, i got the same set up as ON,you still think that extra 3/4in is needed.

" Choose Life "
justplugit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2005, 11:15 AM   #4
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

Well Dave if I was you I would. I still feel that the closer the tool is to the base, height of tool above the base, the more stable and safer the set up will be. I told this too Kevin too. Maybe he will chime in and say what the thickness of his base is and if he feels like the holder is stable enough. I observed Bruce, slip, turning freaks maple plugs, a similar duplicator set up, and asked him if he felt he needed to shorten up the height of the tool above the plate. He agreed he needs to. So I would say yes. More work for you but worth it IMO. Paul

"A beach is a place where a man can feel he's the only soul in the world that's real"
ProfessorM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 08:33 AM   #5
outnumbered
Registered Papa

Hey guys yes the closer the tool to the base the better. For a base I use a 12" wide piece of laminated shelving thats 3/4" thick. I am thinking of making it 3/4" higher but I still have to see if I can hold the tool comfortably as I really like the bigger handles on it. The other important item I found was to add weight to the base. First I started out with no weight and the tool was grabbing too easy once I added the weight 10oz it was much easier to control.
outnumbered is offline   Reply With Quote