Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Build Stuff: Custom Plug & Lure Building, Rod Building » Plug Building - Got Wood?

Plug Building - Got Wood? Got Plug?

Old 01-11-2007, 04:53 PM   #31
Pete F.
Canceled

Sears usually has cheap chop saws. The amount you use it making plugs or stuff around the house is never going to wear it out.

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Niles: You have met “people”, haven’t you?

Lets Go Darwin
Pete F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 06:42 PM   #32
Jigman

I had a similar problem with my Jet, then Bernzy stopped by and showed me how to set it up right A fence will definitely help. Sears sells a universal bandsaw fence for around $20. Works pretty well. If I need real straight cuts I'll also use a clamp on the other end of the fence. If you do not want to string for a fence, clamp a piece of lumber to the bandsaw and use that as your fence.

Jigman
Jigman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 06:53 PM   #33
Thumb-Burner

thanks jiggy

i think the piece of lumber fence will have to work for right now.. maybe the sears thing later.. looked at that before.. wasn't sure it would work

I might be small.... but I'm slow.
Thumb-Burner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 08:09 PM   #34
numbskull
Oblivious // Grunt, Grunt Master

You need to tune a bandsaw to get it to cut right.
First, take off the covers and without a blade on it adjust the top wheel in or out so it aligns with the bottom wheel (use a long straight edge)
Next, put on a blade and spin it until it tracks on the crowns. Then shim the table to get it square.
Then, adjust your guides to a dollar bill thickness clearance right and left.
Bring the thrust bearings to just touch the rear of the blade.
Next tension your blade tight. On small saws it is best to use a thin blade 1/4-1/2" since the saws lack the guts to tension a wide blade.
Now cut a piece of wood and watch how the blade wants to track (very few track straight). Clamp the wood to the table and adjust your fence to be paralell to the cut piece. That should do it.
numbskull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 08:37 PM   #35
EricW

I'd watch want ads, craigslist and yardsales and trash for tools. I picked up 2 mitre saws (good ones too) for 5.00 each. Have 2 free table saws, 5.00 planer and my lathe was free. I'm getting to the point where I may start buying new or better high end used stuff for some better ease of use, but all my stuff works great. Just stay away from craftsman oil free compressors, I could write a book on those.

Where I live a little NW of boston, there is almost and endless supply of power tools, mowers, snowblowers and other assorted goodies in peoples trash. I've retired from picking up most of it, but still get an occasional goodie.

Thanks too for the advice on the bandsaw. I was looking at that one and now I know you need a new blade. That was helpful to at least know it will do a good job.
EricW is offline   Reply With Quote