Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Build Stuff: Custom Plug & Lure Building, Rod Building » Rod Building

Rod Building So, you've landed a nice fish on a plug you made, eh? Now, the next step, building your own RODS!

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-05-2012, 01:21 PM   #1
chefchris401
Chris Blouin

Century 1267 Build

here is the newest century rod I just finished, i tried taking some pics along the way.

This is the newest rod in the sling shot series, moderate fast action, model is the 1267, 10'6" rated 2 to 5oz.

Blank weighs 8.34oz

Reel seat is 24.5" from butt to reel foot stem

Reel seat is a fuji deluxe size 18, that I cut 1" off the bottom, and sanded smooth. reel seat weighs .81oz

For the butt wrap I did the "paco grip", saw this design at the LI fisherman show on the new lami infinity series, its just cork grip spiraled around the butt with a gap in between the wraps and then shrink grip over it, gives a really nice feel and helps keep the weight down. see pics 1 and 2, that is before the shrink grip over it.

I like my foregrips to be 10 to 12" long, seeing i fish a lot of different plugs and almost never hold my rod at the reel seat. I used a piece of EVA foam from CMS, 11" long and only weighs .70oz where the same amount of cork and shrink weighed 2 oz.

Then instead of a crosswrap i did a green marble pattern, i used testors green, white and silver enamel paints, i put down a thin layer of epoxy and started with white, the silver then green, used a toothpick to swirl them together then a piece of crumbled up saran wrap for the end result. the next day i put one thick coat of epoxy over it, smooth as glass now. see pic 3
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	grip1.JPG
Views:	419
Size:	459.7 KB
ID:	53203   Click image for larger version

Name:	grip2.JPG
Views:	413
Size:	309.0 KB
ID:	53204   Click image for larger version

Name:	marble.JPG
Views:	447
Size:	468.3 KB
ID:	53205  

Last edited by chefchris401; 10-05-2012 at 01:31 PM..

STORMR Pro Staff Member
chefchris401 is offline   Reply With Quote