Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Main Forum » Boat Fishing & Boating

Boat Fishing & Boating A new forum at Striped-Bass.com for those fishing from boats and for boating in general

Old 03-10-2023, 05:41 PM   #31
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

Quote:
Originally Posted by clambo View Post
Check out aluminumalloyboats.com there are many alloy boat owners and builders from all over the world. I'm sure the coating info your looking for will be available there. Mike
Thanks Mike, but that ship has sailed. After some discussion with people I respect in the boat building world, I decided to install it as is, just bare aluminum. We used 4200 to attach a dozen small pieces of Starboard to the tank's bottom, to keep it raised off the bottom of the "coffin" it sits in, and the deck is now all glassed back down. The only small areas of that tank I will ever see again are beneath two deck inspection ports.

“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed, unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms.” – James Madison.
nightfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2023, 06:15 PM   #32
Guppy
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightfighter View Post
Look on the port side, Ray. That foot is on the deck, which is about 1.5" above the recessed area that receives the console and where we cut and glassed.

And looking at all the kneeling and bent knee required, there was no way I could have done this on my own.
You’re telling me….. that job and metal knees don’t cut it… I kept a strap hanging from the ceiling to help stand me up ….. lookin good!
Guppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2023, 06:30 PM   #33
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

Yeah.... getting up off the deck, any deck, ain't pretty for me...

“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed, unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms.” – James Madison.
Old 03-25-2023, 08:17 AM   #34
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

Getting to see the light at the end of the tunnel! Console is back on the boat, and wiring and steering hook ups are next. Added some red LED cockpit lights (thank you Wayne) to panels along gunnels that house rod holders. I am posting a shot of the deck after sand and paint, since it will not be seen again until someone removes the console in the future.
The great majority of this work was done by a close friend who I bartered with. He also owns a launch service on the Westside, and the dock house the launch drivers are based out of needed some work. Yesterday I got the majority of my part of the barter completed and only have the transition to mill up and install. Both parties are happy so a successful barter.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7595.JPG (528.0 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7579.JPG (588.0 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1984.jpg (169.2 KB, 16 views)

Old 05-16-2023, 07:52 AM   #35
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

Boat was delivered to my house Sunday. Very small punch list; replace nav light bulbs with LEDs (or replace both units), tape and caulk deck seams, put in half tank of fuel to test tank, sending unit, and re-installed Yamaha gauge. All in, including new Carver winter cover, I will be right around $5000. Throw in a couple days of my barter labor and some materials. It is nice to have skilled friends in the business! I could easily see someone getting charged $10k for such a job. I hope this helps others who find this thread as a result of searching and researching their own tank replacement as I did not have a lot to go on.