Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 02-25-2012, 11:16 AM   #1
justplugit
Registered Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post

(1) good science education should prepare students to distinguish the data or testable theories of science from philosophical or religious claims that are made in the name of science; and

(2) where biological evolution is taught, the curriculum should help students to understand why this subject generates so much continuing controversy, and should prepare the students to be informed participants in public discussions regarding the subject.
It simply says there are disagreements in scientific theories out there that are continually tested.
Yup, that's what a good educational curriculum is all about, looking at all the data, theories, ideas, etc.
not just pick and choose what some burecrat thinks should be studied or not.
Freedom of information so each can come to their own conclusions.

" Choose Life "
Old 02-25-2012, 11:54 AM   #2
zimmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by justplugit View Post
not just pick and choose what some burecrat thinks should be studied or not.
Which is what he was doing. He is the "burecrat" (sic), in this case. He wanted science classes to teach that certain things are "best explained by intelligent design as opposed to natural selection." That is different than a discussion that certain religions believe in creation and has no scientific basis or business in a science class; it belongs in a theology class or Sunday school. If you want your kids taught creationism, take them to church.

No, no, no. we’re 30… 30, three zero.
Old 02-25-2012, 02:12 PM   #3
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

Quote:
Originally Posted by zimmy View Post
If you want your kids taught creationism, take them to church.
Or a religious based private school.

Bryan

Originally Posted by #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&
"For once I agree with Spence. UGH. I just hope I don't get the urge to go start buying armani suits to wear in my shop"
Old 02-25-2012, 06:18 PM   #4
justplugit
Registered Grandpa

It shouldn't be taught as relegion in a public school, but as a theory compared to
the unproven Big Bang Theory or any other unproven theory.

How does that interfere with sepearation of church and state?

A good education should be well rounded.

" Choose Life "
Old 02-25-2012, 06:42 PM   #5
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

Quote:
It shouldn't be taught as relegion in a public school, but as a theory compared to

1. Gravity is a 'theory' as well... theory is a good thing in science... theory means tested and tested and tested over and over again and found to be valid.

2. Any time you introduce a religious doctrine (i.e. the bible) into a science class, it triggers that. If you want to teach it in a theology class (which a broad religious class would be part of a 'well rounded' education imho.)

Climate change can be a valid scientific discussion (that is usually spun into politics). Creation/Evolution is not.

Bryan

Originally Posted by #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&
"For once I agree with Spence. UGH. I just hope I don't get the urge to go start buying armani suits to wear in my shop"
Old 02-25-2012, 07:10 PM   #6
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIROCKHOUND View Post
theory means tested and tested and tested over and over again and found to be valid.
Remember, you're talking to mostly non-scientists here. The layperson usually regards a "theory" as something that is supposed but not yet proven. Scientists on the other hand would more likely use it for something that's successfully gone through the process.

Quote:
Climate change can be a valid scientific discussion (that is usually spun into politics). Creation/Evolution is not.
This is a good point.

-spence
Old 02-26-2012, 08:02 AM   #7
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIROCKHOUND View Post
the fact that you are the only creature of the millions on this earth capable of pondering these questions and perhaps the only creature in all that we see out there beyond that has "evolved" beyond
eating and crapping ....should tell you that it is certainly a valid scientific discussion

the climate change discussion should tell you that science and scientists are not only quite fallible but highly imperfect human beings subject to the same whims, biases and dishonesty motivated by agenda as anyone else
Old 02-25-2012, 09:17 PM   #8
zimmy

Quote:

Obviously the other two beat me to it, but creation isn't a theory. The big bang is testable and has yet to be disproved. It is based on mathematics and observable phenomena. Its validity is repeatedly strengthened with continuing observation. I am curious how creationism should be taught in science classes? Would I have to say some people who have very limited scientific knowledge think the Earth is 6000 years old even though that is impossible? Would I have to mention the Hopi's believed Earth was held up by turtles? What about the religious belief that if one doesn't live their life properly, they may be reincarnated as a snail? I encountered a group of school students at the grand canyon who were sharing that some of the fossils in the sedimentary rock there were actually Cheerios placed there by the government. I don't know who to credit with the quote, but someone said it well, "Rick Santorum is one of the finest minds of the 13th century?

Old 02-25-2012, 10:06 PM   #9
justplugit
Registered Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by zimmy View Post
The big bang is testable and has yet to be disproved.
When it is proved it will be a fact, until then it is still a theory.
Until then, imho, there are other theories that should be studied as part of a good educational curriculum. It is not my purpose to argue one theory over the other here, but to say a truly educated person should want to know and study all of the theories in a field. Until it is proven, a theory is speculation.

" Choose Life "
Old 02-25-2012, 11:26 PM   #10
zimmy

Quote:
When it is proved it will be a fact, until then it is still a theory.
Until then, imho, there are other theories that should be studied as part of a good educational curriculum.
Again, it is a misinterpretation of what theory means. A theory has to be testable. The theories of the origin of life include primordial soup, deep sea vents, panspermia, etc. Creationism is religious doctrine, not theory. You would be right to say some people have other ideas about the origin of life, but in the case of creationism, it isn't a theory. Any science course on origins of life will discuss multiple theories (theology based private education apparently excluded . Scientific theories are different than discussing religious doctrine. When one asks for teaching of religion in a public school science class, it is nothing other than religious indoctrination.