Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » The Scuppers

The Scuppers This is a new forum for the not necessarily fishing related topics...

Closed Thread

Old 10-30-2002, 11:46 PM   #31
StarsnStripers
Ocean Master

Send a message via AIM to StarsnStripers
well, i thought you could jig for stripers in the winter? i know the bite will suck, but it's better than sitting there and staring at your rod....
I need to do something related to fishing....to remain sane, beleive me, im serious, i become depressed when I am in my house, I need to be outside, so i will fish for any saltwater species, be it cod or tautog or anything that makes sense to fish for in the winter monthsm, atleast once a week....

StarsnStripers@hotmail.com
Tight Lines!
-Vic
Old 10-31-2002, 12:55 AM   #32
Striper SniperX
><(((">

Send a message via AIM to Striper SniperX Send a message via Yahoo to Striper SniperX
Vic, As you said in one of my post 'it's a public forum' !

Why are you always so "Mean" at me in here but nice in person? (no one is impressed )

Kim LOL!!! sick.

Hey dude, i was just saying it's NICE rod/reel,,, next time i will say it isn't nice - if that's what you preffer....

A conventional combo is like my Shakespear Tidewater with the stupid 1 stage Penn that i caught the flounder on at Colt (lol)
U can get one for $120 i guess----

SERIOUSLY -- BAD NEWS! (hear-me-out)

I heard from The head of the RISAA (steve mederios)
that the Cod and Winter Flounder don't come up this far anymore LOOK>

Here is what he said:

"hello thanks for the e-mail
well mike as for conimicut winter fishing- yes
you can catch some nice sized tautog in that area and best bet is on the
green crabs- cut them in half expoing the meat inside that helps scent the water also discard the large topshell and break the claws and legs off there is many way of rigging a greencrab but the most sucsessful rig for me was hooking it into the exposed meat ang bringing the hook out of the last back limb hole.

As for casting try to get as close to rocks or structure that has some
mussels on it.

but I'm sorry but there haven't been any cod up in the bay for
quite some time. they don't venture this close anymore. as for the winter
flounder they cannot be caught inside the bay. but you can get them in the
salt ponds on south shore. Just check the season posted at www.risaa.org

Also when fishing for the togs, you will want to use just enough weight to
hold bottom. (2oz should be fine)
Togs hit softly and you want to set the hook as soon as you
feel the hit or they will strip you. email me if you need anymore help Best of Luck!
Steve"

I also Got another E-mail from another Risaa.org person:
He Wrote:

"Hello mike
i am dreading this time of year (winter) as well but there are still fish so we cannot giv up that easy so as for you questions
Yes! Tautog stay around, but almost hibernate in the rocks in mid-winter They go
deep into them. They don't bite as much after the water goes down into the mid-low 30s.
Another place I heard is excellent from shore is Beavertail in Jamestown. also under and near the jamestown bridges if you can get out on boat-

Cod isnt the same - maybe back 20 years ago they would venture up that far but your best bet is not from shore and in a boat -- the ledges and ditches also block island sound as well as long island area

As for flounder
Well, Winter flounder has been really terrible the last several years. The only
place I have heard any numbers is in salt pond, but nothing like it used to
be. I went out 2 years ago just north of the inlet and we caught 1 winter
flounder in about 2 hours, but I heard others did better in that spot that
same year.
Good luck!"

Hope this helps us Vic,,,,I have MANY more e-mails from Risaa.org Members about this---- i will FWD: them to ya if you want

Vic- Call me tomorrow--let's go get some free candy
We'll go out as Fisherman (lol)

Have a good one guys!

"Striper Sniper"
15' Starcraft Sportfish-Classic.

Visit my site at:
Saltwater-Fishing.8k.com
Old 10-31-2002, 01:05 AM   #33
shore manic

just beginning !!!!

allright that's it !!!!!!!!!! it took some of us at least 11 months to move up from up from scally wag to something better , you young guys are (14 and 15) and taking over our website. it's okay if maybe you want to learn about shore fishing.you can't expect us to give you our spots.takes years of knowledge to figure it all out!!!!! anyone else have any input in this?
or maybe i'm just bitter cause i'm not young again!

Old 10-31-2002, 01:37 AM   #34
Striper SniperX
><(((">

Send a message via AIM to Striper SniperX Send a message via Yahoo to Striper SniperX
Shore-Manic!!!
Take it Easy Please,, How are we 'taking over' the website??

WE NEVER ASKED YOU FOR YOUR SHOREfishing SPOTS!!!
pick on someone else,,,cause i am VERY ornery and will not put up with being put-down like scum by someone who thinks cause i am younger that i have no right to post!

Hmm, 11 Months ??? It says YOU got here in JULY 2002
IS IT JUNE ALREADY??? pretty cold!!
That was sure a FAST 11 months--jeeze where did it go ???
Your not tricking anybody.......

No Problems with you just calm down please,,,,no reason to outburst like that man......as us "young-guys" say ,,, "Chill-Out"

Maybe you are bitter cause your not younger,,, No reason to pick on THE FUTURE OF FISHERMAN,,,no matter what! Sit down, Have a 'Beer' or whatever you drink and calm-down- being old isn't that bad

Take it Easy!

"Striper Sniper"

Visit my site at:
Saltwater-Fishing.8k.com
Old 10-31-2002, 01:51 AM   #35
Striper SniperX
><(((">

P.S.

you young guys are taking over OUR website? 'OUR' ????

In My book ,,, John R is the 'Owner' you are just like me,,,,a MEMBER .....even if you have been here a full 3 months more then i have,,,,,CAUSE I POST MORE cause i have more questions,,,, if it takes anyone that long to reach 50 post,,, then they have no post,,,,that's there own fault

I did not post up just to become a 'Salties' or my now changed 'Fishin' Frenzy' ONCE YOU REACH 50 YOU CAN MAKE WHATEVER NAME YOU WANT IN YER 'USERCP'!!!

If you think that's what i am trying to do,,,,i have nothing to prove,,,
I'll reset all my post back to 0 if that makes you happy!!

Learn to Understand there is 14/15 year olds in this WORLD who also LOVE FISHING AS MUCH IF NOT MORE THEN YOU!! you have NO-IDEA how much i love fishing,,,catching fish,,,damn i even love being near and on the water,,,,no matter what ,,YOU CAN'T CHANGE THAT FOR ME buddy!!
I know you are older but we can all learn from each other,,,and YOU need to learn to understand that,,,as well as many older people on here who think all teens are punks who don't know how to fish

IF ANY OF YOU FISHED WITH SnS and I YOU WOULD BE SURPRICED HOWMUCH WE LOVE IT AND HOW OUR EXPERIENCE AND KNOW-HOW IS FOR OUR AGE GROUP----and we WILL be older people one day - we are the future of fishing! respect that so we can respect you!

No Hard Feelings Shore!

Bye..

P.S. my e-mail is back online,,,, i set up a hotmail account
" stripersniperx@hotmail.com " So instead of filling up this thread,it's between you & i , So if you really need to speak to me ,,, PM me Or E-mail me!

See Yas!

ALSO,,,to Whoever this DOESN'T have anything to do with,,,,,Please Disregard It ----No Disresect or Offence TO YOU!
and please ONLY reply on this Matter....nothing else

Thanks

"Striper Sniper"

Visit my site at:
Saltwater-Fishing.8k.com
Old 10-31-2002, 09:09 AM   #36
capndave

Patrick?

SSX, SnS,

I mean you no disrespect and in fact, I admire your enthusiasm.

It would seem however, that if you just applied the knowledge that you have been given and spent HALF the time fishing as you spend online, you'd be well on the road to knowing instead of asking.

Dave
Old 10-31-2002, 10:26 AM   #37
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

Captain Dave - well said, you just said in 3 sentences what took me an hour to write between "Real Work"

This is NOT a bitchin' session, hopefully just a bump in the right direction. Please understand it as that. However, I am getting a bit tired of seeing threads hijacked this way.

Take it Easy Please,, How are we 'taking over' the website??
By not being a PART of it and maybe a little disruptive for us old farts...

WE NEVER ASKED YOU FOR YOUR SHOREfishing SPOTS!!!
pick on someone else,,,cause i am VERY ornery and will not put up with being put-down like scum by someone who thinks cause i am younger that i have no right to post!Hmm, 11 Months ??? It says YOU got here in JULY 2002
IS IT JUNE ALREADY??? pretty cold!!
That was sure a FAST 11 months--jeeze where did it go ???

There is a time and place to be ornery ( I was once too) and this isn't the place... And time posting here isn't any indication of qualifications in the suds.
No Problems with you just calm down please,,,,no reason to outburst like that man......as us "young-guys" say ,,, "Chill-Out"

Calm goes both ways...

Maybe you are bitter cause your not younger,,, No reason to pick on THE FUTURE OF FISHERMAN,,,no matter what! Sit down, Have a 'Beer' or whatever you drink and calm-down- being old isn't that bad

It's not all about age, just settle down a little, OK?

you young guys are taking over OUR website? 'OUR' ????

In My book ,,, John R is the 'Owner' you are just like me,,,,a MEMBER

As the "Owner", I want everyone to have a piece of "Ownership" of this website. That means that everyone can take a little pride in how the site develops and the friendships, competition, & knowledge you can dabble about with or jump in with both feet. That's what "Ownership" of this site is about - everybody contributes a little and everone gets a little back in return.

.....even if you have been here a full 3 months more then i have,,,,,CAUSE I POST MORE cause i have more questions,,,, if it takes anyone that long to reach 50 post,,, then they have no post,,,,that's there own fault

You have a ton of questions, most of them good questions (not that there are really any "BAD" questions). Your posting more because you have more questions is not the solution. Your solution is to work at it a little harder on LEARNING about surfcasting instead of ASKING about surfcasting and have it given to you. You'll learn more about fishing from reading a few tips & tricks from a book or online when you go out and APPLY those tips & tricks while trying to get a bend in your rod (fishing rod). You'll learn more about fishing if you fish with people that have more experience fishing. You'll learn more about fishing if you spend more time on the water, not doing the same thing day in & day out, or on a computer.

When you come up with a thought or a question you want to ask, write it down and do a on the boards BEFORE asking a question. You see, these forums can be a little quirky at times. 95% of the people don't mind answering questions, half of them will answer the same question that is asked every 2 weeks or 2 months by someone different, but very few will take kindly to repeated rapid fire questions when all along, 90% of the answers are available after a search of the boards or just a little investigating. I honestly feel that if you make an effort to dig thru what's available, you'll find stuff beyond your wildest dreams. Once that effort is made, you'll have an easier go of getting help online.

You absoluetly need to know that a lot of guys & gals here have put in some serious time to learn what they've learned. They are not just going to "GIVE" it away. These same people want to see you succeed but they want you to earn it.

Learn to Understand there is 14/15 year olds in this WORLD who also LOVE FISHING AS MUCH IF NOT MORE THEN YOU!! you have NO-IDEA how much i love fishing,,,catching fish,,,damn i even love being near and on the water,,,,no matter what ,,YOU CAN'T CHANGE THAT FOR ME buddy!!
I know you are older but we can all learn from each other,,,and YOU need to learn to understand that,,,as well as many older people on here who think all teens are punks who don't know how to fish

Learn to understand that this is a fishing board 99% occupied by adults that love fishing, many of which probably more than you do . Wait until the day you have a fantastic beach all to yourself, with just the right amount of wind, surf, and solitude and suddenly you get a BANG from a big fish, not some snapper blue off Conimicut. Wait until the night where you can see the Milky Way glowing while Montauk light and SE light @ Block nearly synchorize different light patterns and a shiny lineside crashes on your plug. Then you need to decide to grille it or send it free. Wait until you've accumulated years out on the water's edge before you can claim loving the water more than someone else. It doesn't happen for everyone but a LOT of us here suffer from that GodSend.

So please understand, you are in the presence of many adults and that is the standard that you will likely be held to. This somewhat nasty bickering back and forth between you two is not adult behavior. Not that all of us adults always exhibit that , but it happens a lot less.

IF ANY OF YOU FISHED WITH SnS and I YOU WOULD BE SURPRICED HOWMUCH WE LOVE IT AND HOW OUR EXPERIENCE AND KNOW-HOW IS FOR OUR AGE GROUP----

BTW - I used to think I was good & had EXPERIENCE until I got consistantly schooled, now I have no such illusions.

You are not likely to have many of us fish with you if you continue to buck the nature of the board. If you become part of it and be the studius little grasshoppers you can be (grasshopper doesn't need to be a bad thing, we all were and still are in some ways), you might be suprised to get asked to go out in time.

I don't think anyone is doubting your enthusiasm...

and we WILL be older people one day - we are the future of fishing! respect that so we can respect you!

When you're older, you might look back on this as having a little too much misdirected enthusiasm. I know I did and probably most of us did too. Believe it or not, you might even think back and say your folks were right about a lot of things

No Hard Feelings Shore!

No hard feelings here either, just understand that this is to help you and not hurt you, just steer you in the right direction... The road of fishing forums is well paved with roadkill of good intentioned teenage cyber fisherman, don't buck the advice of us "Old People" ;P , fit in & learn from us and from time spent on the water, a LOT of time - again, this is NOT a bitch session, hopefully just a bump in the right direction.

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming:
Old 10-31-2002, 11:50 AM   #38
Striper SniperX
><(((">

WOW, A NOVEL!!

Thanks John R,
And No,,,I haven't been to BI at that time to see the milky way and LI light on a clear flat night with the perfect wind and a 50lb cow (yet)

But for my age group,,,may it be a small fish,,,but my largest striper was a 15lber taken this past summer out of Quonset Point (yes, the day of the air show!) I was going to go water-Skiing but decided to stay and fish ,,,that tell ya something?
I may not have caught a 50lb cow every time i go,, and may never, as for some anglers never in a life-time,,,,but i sure as hell hope i get close and to tell you all the truth,,, Here is what i caught this year so far:
15lb Striper
5 Schoolie Stripers (2-4) Lbers
3 Bluefish (small-to-sm medium sized) (max-appx 4lbs?)
1 Nice sized (didn't weigh) but was appx 15"? Fluke (flounder) i'm guessing 6lbs (but SnS begs to differ )
1 Medium Scup (keeper size)
And a numerous spider-crabs
((that don't count-just thought i'd add it))

SnS,,Is about the same number of Salt fish,, You all see,, we started back off in freshwater,,,it was very fun,, catfish and bass an all,,,then we went salt water,the fly-fishing (no luck at all) ,,then again we went freshwater (ultra-light outfits)Then back to saltwater,,,no we ,,or atleast I know this is what i want to do...

So, Looking at them Numbers,,,Can you see why we are a bit disappointed? why we would want to know HOW to catch a fish to be proud of ?? a fish that FIGHTS?
When i get my boat in the water,,,,I want to be able to show my dad the fish i caught when i come back to the dock... I've Passed USCG/USPS at URI Boating Course..A full exam (Power&PWC)... as well as the Online Boat-Us Exam, I AM VERY SERIOUS ABOUT BOATING SAFETY,,,AS WELL AS FUN
BUT share the wealth of your fishing tips and stories etc,,, it is not like i am going to steal your spot and fish it out,,,i'm lucky if i catch seaweed I fish at a very high pressured fishing area. i don't know how it is to have a beach to myself with all 30+ lb stripers waiting to challenge me,,,, i cannot say i have... so show me how i can experience that!!

I know You Love the water , WE all love the water,,,i am just saying (to shoremanic) that he should not burst out like that in a total OFF-TOPIC,,,,you always say i go off topic,,,that was a Serious Detour,,,and a rude one at that!!!

John- Seriously,,,i don't sign online and go here all the time to stress myself out , and typing for this long,,,,just to get bashed cause i ask too many questions,,,,are you always like this to new people who want to learn a bit ?? I truly Love this Forum,,,you started one hell of a group for RI/MASS/CT area Anglers,,, You are still doing a great job,,,it's like you get a new member every other day! and i want to continue to be part of this,,,a member and an online 'Friend' because you never know who that guy fishing at the other end of the beach is...

Hey Capt. Dave
"It would seem however, that if you just applied the knowledge that you have been given and spent HALF the time fishing as you spend online, you'd be well on the road to knowing instead of asking." >> Seriously,,,,i WISH I COULD!! but i live in cranston now and there is no places to go around here
I can drive very soon ,,i will be surf-fishin all night ,then i will never be online (lol)
But My Current Transportation is Either My Bike,,, or my Mom n Dad (and yes,,we do have Classic Show '69 Dart Rt.383 (and it's mine soon! (woohoo) .i don't BS)
Don't 4get the Dodge Ram!! (lol)

Now back on Subject....

John! Shore said 'our-website' as if it is his more then mine,,, you just said a part of it is all of ours,,,,so he gets a 'bigger' part and more respect cause he is older??? cause he cauht more fish then me? bigger fish ?? cause he is a personall bud of yers??
I know this is off-topic, but on the big fish matter,,, Me,, i am not a lucky fisherman with big fish,,, but if it's any consolation ,,, and it's way off topic and i shouldn't ask it in the serious post,,, but , WHAT IS YOUR ALL BIGGEST FISH???? AND HOW OLD WHERE YOU ???? cause if you where my age,,,i bet that made you extra happy,,,,maybe some of you never even fished at 15 almost 16?? so that makes you better ?? come on now guys
jeeze,,we are all humans and should be equal,, even if i am a 'grass-hopper' what ever the hell that means
and i never caught a 'Cow' at BI at 3am while looking the the milkey way and stars (sounds like one hell of a clear night,,,and some good vision--BI when i am there,,,is always foggy in the summer-time,,,and clear in the day,,strange...
But the weather allways sucks when i am fishing-----that is what will bring the real die-hard angler in me

Also,,,many of you have rude remarks as means to us winter fishing.... some go like this "If you can't Pay---Don't Play"
"Maybe You should find other hobbys" "This Sport is Expensive- deal with it" "Maybe you should fish at warwick mall- there is cows there (ha ha-not)" and so on......
You think that is going to discourage me ? make me quit?? heck no (lol) it makes me want more answers!! you can't stop a dedicated fisherman,,,may it be one who is 15 or 50 ,, no matter...

Ornery? As Ornery,,,i mean,,,i don't give up,,,and when someone is rude to me,,,i am 100% more rude back....and i'm some what of a "Prick" when i am spoken to like that!
i know you all are sayin "he's just a kid,,what the hell is he talking about? he has no rights like that,,,he don't deserve respect-etc" just look back when you was 15......... and you wanted to catch fish but wasn't sure where and when
you asked people and learned,,,,,sure there wasn't S-B.com so it was even harder..... so with-out S-B.com,,,,it will be the same for me,,,,just please take it easy on me,,,i mean no disrespect,,, i just want answers and to make some fishing buddys,,,even if they are just 'online-people' it's always good to know they are there!

John R,, i mean no disRespect,,,Please don't get mad or p-oed at me, for this,,, i am just trying to 'defend' and make a place for me here...

Please Reply with your comments,, don't worry,,i can take it (if they are bad) i'm pretty well with that,,,dish it out! lol

Thanks!

"Striper Sniper"

Visit my site at:
Saltwater-Fishing.8k.com
Old 10-31-2002, 12:55 PM   #39
Jenn

I think everyone just needs to clear the slate and start fresh......so many times and so many people have said things or whatever that have just been taken way to serious or out of context! (can that happen on the internet??? LOL)

To SSX....I am not doubting your love passion or ability as an angler.....but believe me when I say experience is a beautiful thing....I cant begin to tell you the things I have learned from some of the people here.......they truly have made me a better fisherwoman!

Quote:
When you're older, you might look back on this as having a little too much misdirected enthusiasm
HA! THIS????? well even just from a year ago...or even MONTHS ago I find my "enthusiasm" was so MISDIRECTED!!!!!.....I know I have SO much to learn yet.....but I have come so far at the same time!!!! its all about learning and a great angler will never stop learning...no matter how "good" they are!!!!

this here is a great place to be (and this goes for EVERYONE) sometimes you will be the one making ways...taking waves...or trying to smooth things over.....and just like life.....sometimes we dont know which one we are...or how to approach the situation!

now....lets all be friends and share the luv!
Old 10-31-2002, 01:19 PM   #40
Striper SniperX
><(((">

Wow!
See, that is what i like! If only you all could be that nice and understanding! thanks Jenn

I agree,,,DROP THIS RIGHT NOW,,no more replies on the subject,,or else that is starting it back up and rude,,, unless you have comments (good ones ) lol

''Can't We All Just Get Along?"

Have a good one Guys!

"Striper Sniper"

Visit my site at:
Saltwater-Fishing.8k.com
Old 10-31-2002, 01:37 PM   #41
JohnR

Why I oughta....

.... move this into the scuppers...

Apocalypse is Coming:
Old 10-31-2002, 01:45 PM   #42
capndave

Exactly what is "the subject" anyway?

Oh yeah, now I remember.

30# FireLine rules!

And now, I'm going fishing.

Dave
Old 10-31-2002, 01:57 PM   #43
JohnR

I don't have the T I M E to read every post on this thread and on the boards..

Quote:
Please don't get mad or p-oed at me, for this,,, i am just trying to 'defend' and make a place for me here...
I'm not PO'd, yet. Believe me this conversation would be real short if I was. You don't need to "defend" or create a "place" for you here. That would insinuate you need a small area with walls around it to defend (just kidding).

All I'm saying is turn it down a few notches and relax and learn.

are you always like this to new people who want to learn a bit Nope, I can't remember any new members that fought the traffic of the site so much instead of going in the same direction. I'm putting a smiley in now so you know that I'm not trying to be mean -> <- ...

When I was 14-15, I was stoned, or drunk, and skipping class, and doing all kinds of extremely STUPID things. It took me years to unscrew-up alot of the dumb things I did and it wasn't exactly easy either. Too many people in the situation I was in then don't make it back.

My biggest fish is 37 pounds from shore, I was 32 at the time. Now I think I'm a better angler but I don't get out enough to the good spots to increase my odds... That 37 pounds is probably about average for the surfcasters that have been doing it for a few years.

We're not equals - I'm twice as old as you so I've learned more, good & bad. I do hope that you are doing better than I did when I was your age, how about that? I'm not the equal, certainly in a fishing sense, of a lot of people around here.

Respect is earned. It's not just about your fishing skills or even mostly about it, it's about attitude and how you conduct yourself online. That will go a lot farther in your earning respect than anything else...

Apocalypse is Coming:
Old 10-31-2002, 01:58 PM   #44
Striper SniperX
><(((">

Blah Blah ,, You Outa What ?? j/k

No Sence in Moving it,,,Just end it...

FireLine is nice line (i HAVE used it) but it's a pain in the (blank) to Tie ANY kind of Knot with that braided stuff.... Mono is better for tying,,,but braided kills Mono in the Diamiter and longer lasting catagorys

What do you all think of 15 - 20 # Ande Mono for them Tautog at Conimicut??? ... i know 20 is heavy,,, but it has to be very abraision resistant,,, bottom, rock and wreck fishing ,,, so what do you all think is the BEST ABRAISION RESISTANT MONO & BRAIDED LINES ?

Let's Turn this Thread Back into a Line Catagory,,,no more BS....

Good-Luck Fishin' Dave!

Have a good one!

"Striper Sniper"

Visit my site at:
Saltwater-Fishing.8k.com
Old 10-31-2002, 01:59 PM   #45
JohnR

Closing this thread now....

Apocalypse is Coming:
Closed Thread