Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Sportsman's Talk

Sportsman's Talk New forum for other outdoor sports. Hunting, shooting, archery, and everything else that has you crawling around with the bugs...

Old 01-18-2011, 06:55 AM   #1
Hookedagain

Gun Finish

I have a Mossberg that I can't seem to keep rust free. It is in the safe with all the others and its the only one that will rust up. I was wondering if anyone knows of a place I can get it parkerized? I have a few other that have a parkerized finish on them and not even salt water will effect them. Any info will be helpful.
Hookedagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 08:37 AM   #2
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

Which model? Need to find out what it is made of. If it has too much nickel in it, parkerizing won't work.... Might be able to blue it... See local gunsmith.

“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed, unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms.” – James Madison.
nightfighter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 09:49 AM   #3
Hookedagain

It's an 835 Ulti-mag. I purchased it in 1994-95. It has a blued finish now...well kind of, mixed with the rust spots.
Old 01-18-2011, 10:15 AM   #4
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

Sounds like the blu got nicked. Any peppering? For now, just clean and a light coat of oil. Maybe wrap it in a gunsack too. You can always re-blu it.

http://www.ehow.com/how_7531392_stop...un-barrel.html

Last edited by nightfighter; 01-18-2011 at 10:20 AM..

“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed, unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms.” – James Madison.
nightfighter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 01:36 PM   #5
InTheHole

Depending on how you feel about this shotgun or what you use it for, this may work for you.
I actually painted an 870 that I bought 2nd hand for sea-duck hunting. When I got it the gun had scratches and chips in the blueing, so I took a chance and cleaned all the oil and grease off , used a light emory cloth to sand the chipped and rusted areas then I painted the receiver and barrel with a rustoleum flat black hi- temp paint and I speckled it with some Parkers Duck Boat paint that I had for a cammo effect. I also changed the wooden stock and forend to synthetic.
That was well over 10 years ago and the finish still looks like I did it yesterday.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day ...
show him where to fish and ... you'll be sorry
InTheHole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 06:41 PM   #6
redlite

I have had the same problems with my Mossberg 500's.
I tried the rebluing kits on one of them.... BAD idea. looks like hell.
But who cares about looks. Still go bang just fine.
redlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 10:41 PM   #7
Hookedagain

Its a water fowl gun, an oar, an ice breaker and so many other things as needed. The finish has been nicked I'm sure. I have several others that take the same abuse and hold up just fine. I have thought about painting but was unsure of the outcome, but knowing it holds up well I might try it. Thanks for all the tips, I still might look into parkerizing it too.
Old 01-19-2011, 07:11 PM   #8
SurfCaster413

Get rid of the mossberg and buy Brownings thats what I did and never had rust again.
SurfCaster413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 09:44 PM   #9
Hookedagain

The problem I have with my Brownings is they are too nice to beat on. I have several and I baby them. I goose hunt with a BPS 10ga and never want to even lay it on the ground, too expensive to scratch. All my other Mossbergs are fine, its just the 835 that give me trouble.
Old 01-22-2011, 09:10 AM   #10
basswipe

Sentry Solutions makes some great anti-rust/rust preventing products. I highly recommend their stuff,have been using them for years.
basswipe is offline   Reply With Quote