Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 02-24-2018, 04:24 PM   #1
wdmso

It's not bad logic that says it's a bad idea to arm teachers it's actual data that makes the suggestion . And even trained officers have their challenges. Linear, thinking needs to change

The FBI’s analysis of active shooters between 2000 and 2013 has another relevant data point: “Law enforcement suffered casualties in 21 (46.7%) of the 45 incidents where they engaged the shooter to end the threat.” These are people trained to do this kind of thing full time, and nearly half were wounded or killed.
Old 02-24-2018, 04:39 PM   #2
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdmso View Post
It's not bad logic that says it's a bad idea to arm teachers it's actual data that makes the suggestion . And even trained officers have their challenges. Linear, thinking needs to change
I read that the NYPD did a study and found even their own officers only hit their targets 18% of the time during real incidents.
Old 02-25-2018, 12:18 AM   #3
Sea Dangles

Can we at least agree that a shooter would target a gun free zone before a school that chose to have armed defense?
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Old 02-25-2018, 08:53 AM   #4
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Dangles View Post
Can we at least agree that a shooter would target a gun free zone before a school that chose to have armed defense?
I don't think it matters at all. Mass shooters seem to pick their targets because of an emotional connection not because it seems easier. Additionally gun free zones don't mean their are no guns...there are plenty of exemptions.
Old 02-25-2018, 08:59 AM   #5
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post

Additionally gun free zones don't mean their are no guns...

brilliant
Old 02-26-2018, 08:36 AM   #6
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post
brilliant
I guess you've never read the legislation.
Old 02-25-2018, 09:58 AM   #7
Sea Dangles

Quote:
I don't think it matters at all. Mass shooters seem to pick their targets because of an emotional connection not because it seems easier. Additionally gun free zones don't mean their are no guns...there are plenty of exemptions.
If you don't think it matters at all then why would you suggest police at schools as an improvement on keeping schools safe? Aren't you contradicting yourself?

PRO CHOICE REPUBLICAN
Old 02-25-2018, 10:02 AM   #8
spence

Quote:
If you don't think it matters at all then why would you suggest police at schools as an improvement on keeping schools safe? Aren't you contradicting yourself?
Ive never said police at schools wouldn't help. I said in this one instance the officer couldn't go in. Doesn't mean his behavior wasn't an outlier.

The point being, if a trained officer can fail how would you expect a teacher to respond.
Old 02-25-2018, 10:18 AM   #9
scottw

Quote:
Ive never said police at schools wouldn't help. I said in this one instance the officer wouldn't go in. Doesn't mean his behavior was typical.

The point being, if a trained officer can fail how would you expect a trained teacher to respond.
fixed it... and...

you are suggesting a trained teacher would turtle like this officer...and you don't know that....
Old 02-25-2018, 10:32 AM   #10
Sea Dangles

Quote:
Ive never said police at schools wouldn't help. I said in this one instance the officer couldn't go in. Doesn't mean his behavior wasn't an outlier.

The point being, if a trained officer can fail how would you expect a teacher to respond.
Jeff, you can not fail at something you never tried to do. Don't be so hard on yourself.

When you said"I don't think it matters at all" and then said "I've never said police at schools wouldn't help" that is contradicting yourself. Just saying.

Last edited by Sea Dangles; 02-25-2018 at 10:45 AM..

PRO CHOICE REPUBLICAN
Old 02-25-2018, 09:10 AM   #11
wdmso

Quote:
Gun free zone have very little to do with how theses people plan their attacks, that's more speculation from the gun lobby .. they are not rational people . I suggest he was familiar with the school and they expelled him and how he gained access he fit in he used the same thing when he left most kill out of anger and they possibility of death isn't a much of a factor

It will be interesting once the investigation concludes how much was planned and how much was spontaneous . Seeing he's sadly alive to talk to investigators.
Old 02-25-2018, 10:47 AM   #12
Sea Dangles

Jim, they don't want the government involved in saying who gets to own guns. Period,end of story.
Old 02-25-2018, 10:49 AM   #13
Jim in CT

Quote:
Jim, they don't want the government involved in saying who gets to own guns. Period,end of story.
Maybe they are worse than I thought. Hard to contemplate...but it appears you were correct as usual, I'm sorry to say.
Old 02-25-2018, 11:00 AM   #14
Sea Dangles

I am a member.
Old 02-25-2018, 12:14 PM   #15
Nebe

Dangles- the NRA most certainly wants everyone to have a gun.
Old 02-25-2018, 02:00 PM   #16
Sea Dangles

That is not true Nebe.
They just go overboard enforcing your constitutional rights. Self serving but their mission is definitely not to put a firearm in the hands of every citizen.
Old 02-25-2018, 02:21 PM   #17
Nebe

Quote:
That is not true Nebe.
They just go overboard enforcing your constitutional rights. Self serving but their mission is definitely not to put a firearm in the hands of every citizen.
You are correct. After some thought, the NRA wants everyone over 18 to be able to freely purchase a firearm. They don’t think everyone needs one.
Old 02-25-2018, 02:18 PM   #18
Sea Dangles

Thanks for clearing up your words Jeff.
Old 02-25-2018, 09:31 PM   #19
Sea Dangles

Zimmy, any idea why 5 years after Sandy Hook this was still just an idea? That's right,5 years and even the mighty Obama was still spinning the wheels.
Old 02-25-2018, 10:02 PM   #20
zimmy

Quote:
Zimmy, any idea why 5 years after Sandy Hook this was still just an idea? That's right,5 years and even the mighty Obama was still spinning the wheels.
I think you might be able to look that up yourself. It wasn't "just an idea" it was set to take effect. But you are able to read and writes so you should be able to find out the date it was enacted and maybe even why there was a time period before implementation.

But as far as spinning wheels, he issued 23 executive orders related to gun control and school safety in January 2013.

On the law making side, he called on Congress to pass laws that would: require background checks on all gun sales; restore a ban on "military-style assault weapons"; ban gun magazines with capacities of more than 10 rounds; and toughen penalties on people who sell guns to those who can't have them.

What do you think Bird Sht-Traffic Cone-Comrade will have put together in the next month? Probably not much more than some tweets misquoting his Faux News teachers.

No, no, no. we’re 30… 30, three zero.
Old 02-25-2018, 10:09 PM   #21
zimmy

Quote:
That's right,5 years and even the mighty Obama was still spinning the wheels.
Again, this isn't rocket science to figure out, but this is relevant to why take-all-your-guns-away-do-nothing(?) Obama was spinning his wheels:

"April 17, 2013
President Obama’s ambitious effort to overhaul the nation’s gun laws in response to December’s school massacre in Connecticut suffered a resounding defeat Wednesday, when every major proposal he championed fell apart on the Senate floor."
https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...=.5549decd1035

Old 02-25-2018, 10:20 PM   #22
Sea Dangles

Thank you for making my point. There have not been many advances made in gun control for a long time. So you probably understand that it is not easy by this point. Obama was forced to make reactionary attempts to appease the nation and came out swinging. Trump will do the same and get criticized for getting nothing done.
Old 02-26-2018, 08:33 AM   #23
spence

Quote:
Thank you for making my point. There have not been many advances made in gun control for a long time. So you probably understand that it is not easy by this point. Obama was forced to make reactionary attempts to appease the nation and came out swinging. Trump will do the same and get criticized for getting nothing done.
You have to choose your battles. Nothing is going to get done unless the Dem's take total control or a lot of Republicans rise above the NRA.

Trump will support a few token actions and then claim he tried. The NRA's actions could very well be self defeating.
Old 02-26-2018, 09:29 AM   #24
Sea Dangles

Quote:
You have to choose your battles. Nothing is going to get done unless the Dem's take total control or a lot of Republicans rise above the NRA.

Trump will support a few token actions and then claim he tried. The NRA's actions could very well be self defeating.
Hold your breath and count backwards from 100

PRO CHOICE REPUBLICAN
Old 02-26-2018, 10:36 AM   #25
spence

Quote:
Hold your breath and count backwards from 100
Quite lucid and relaxed here. I'll put on another pot for tea if it will make you feel good.
Old 02-25-2018, 10:42 PM   #26
zimmy

That was your point? I like that you said appease the nation. Republicans stopped everything in its tracks even if it was overwhelmingly supported by the nation. Why? They are afraid of the NimRod Association. Pretty sure if the Dems controlled the congress in 2013, Obama would have gotten most of what he called for. Trump has mentioned background checks, age limits for "assault rifles", arming teachers. He will get dem support on two out of three, though dems want no more AR's sold. Guessing once La Pierre gets a hold of Trump, he will get nothing done and you will be right. I will certainly criticize him if that happens.

Old 02-26-2018, 06:57 AM   #27
Sea Dangles

Quote:
Originally Posted by zimmy View Post
That was your point? I like that you said appease the nation. Republicans stopped everything in its tracks even if it was overwhelmingly supported by the nation. Why? They are afraid of the NimRod Association. Pretty sure if the Dems controlled the congress in 2013, Obama would have gotten most of what he called for. Trump has mentioned background checks, age limits for "assault rifles", arming teachers. He will get dem support on two out of three, though dems want no more AR's sold. Guessing once La Pierre gets a hold of Trump, he will get nothing done and you will be right. I will certainly criticize him if that happens.
Bold statement Zimmy. You really go out on a limb with your revisionist history. Too bad the dems didn't control congress. Those pesky checks and balances in our constitution reared their ugly head again.

PRO CHOICE REPUBLICAN
Old 02-26-2018, 09:38 AM   #28
zimmy

Quote:
Bold statement Zimmy. You really go out on a limb with your revisionist history. Too bad the dems didn't control congress. Those pesky checks and balances in our constitution reared their ugly head again.
Oh, the dems controlled congress in 2013? If that is the case, I am confused about history.

Old 02-26-2018, 09:46 AM   #29
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by zimmy View Post
Oh, the dems controlled congress in 2013? If that is the case, I am confused about history.
Are you talking Senate or House of Representatives?

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
Old 02-26-2018, 09:59 AM   #30
Jim in CT

Quote:
They did control congress (both houses), for Obama's first two years. For a good chunk of that time they had a filibuster-proof majority in the Senate. I don't think the GOP could have stopped them from doing a thing. Yet they didn't.

Lots of blame here, both parties, the NRA, law enforcement, lots of blame...