Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Grumpy Old Pharts Board

Grumpy Old Pharts Board Gerritol, Ex-Lax, Immodium, Bad Breath - all requirements for the Grumpy Board

Old 03-25-2008, 07:59 PM   #1
Duke41
got gas?

Hello capt, hello capt oh hello capt

geez I have my capts lic for 5 years to so. Now it seems like every guy with a rowboat has his capts lic. Kind of dilutes the breed. I laugh every time I see a non charter guy or none bait shop guy begin his name with capt. I took the test now I iz a capt.. Bull%$%$%$%$!!!
Duke41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 07:25 AM   #2
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Just curious, Did they lessen the requirements to get a captain's license in the 5 years since you became one? If so then you probably have a legitimate gripe, if not, then they did what was necessary to get their's and should be accorded the same respect you expect.

Unless there is something in the rules that says you have to be in a certain job to have one then they worked to get theirs and deserve it just the same.

Plenty of guys with pilot licenses out there that don't work for an airline.

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
The Dad Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 07:39 AM   #3
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

I've got my 100T.
I currently don't charter or work on a commercial boat, just occasional fill in when people need someone with a ticket. Do I dilute the pool? Do you charter full time Duke?
TDF is right, if people have the time and pass the test; who cares. I view it as a distinction though; lots have oupv (6-pack) which is fine, but a lot fewer have a 100T.

Bryan

Originally Posted by #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&
"For once I agree with Spence. UGH. I just hope I don't get the urge to go start buying armani suits to wear in my shop"
RIROCKHOUND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 08:04 AM   #4
fishaholic18
Finally

No new blood, stay away..I love that sh!t..I think I'll go get my Capt. license now..Stop me...

F-18®
It IsWhat It Is

¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º >¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((( º>
fishaholic18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 08:28 AM   #5
Duke41
got gas?

Hey this is the grump site right. No offense meant, just making an observation concerning a certain RI organization. I am a salty bastard been sailing and fishing since i was a baby. First picture was on a swordfish kit boat my dad built. I come from a seafaring, ocean crossing, around the world family and yes we consider ourselves true capts. Not bay capts or coastal capts. But life in your hands, squall comming, Indian Ocean, no markers, no gps, sextant using, log keeping sea capts.

Whats my point.....like usual I don't have one. Have a nice day.
Duke41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 08:52 AM   #6
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Yeah, you're right .....this is the Grumpy old pharts board...carry on with the Grumpage.

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
The Dad Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 09:00 AM   #7
Fishpart
Keep The Change

Here's your Captain
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Captain.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	69.8 KB
ID:	26514  

Last edited by Fishpart; 03-26-2008 at 12:05 PM..

“It’s not up to the courts to invent new minorities that get special protections,” Antonin Scalia
Fishpart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 09:20 AM   #8
UserRemoved1
Permanently Disconnected

I think what he's saying is there's alot of "poptarts" out there nowadays. I have scratched my head for a long time personally how some of these guys could possibly have the required hours on the water that was properly documented or is documentable to obtain their captains licenses. I know how much I boat and I'm out there alot and I don't even come close to being able to document the required hours. That's dangerous in my book if something hits the fan quick then some people don't have the experience needed to get themselves out of it...or stay out of it in the first place.

Ding~~~~~~~~~~there's another new captain
UserRemoved1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 09:29 AM   #9
Mike P
Jiggin' Leper Lawyer

"I don't want no volunteers, I don't want no mates, there's too many captains on this island. Ten thousand dollars for me by myself. For that you get the head, the tail, the whole damn thing."

Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools, because they have to say something.
Mike P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 10:05 AM   #10
fishsmith
DDG-51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishpart View Post
Here's you Captain
Hey, Captain Underpant's inspired me to get my ticket.

-Capt. Fishsmith

Dave Pilkey rocks!
fishsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 10:33 AM   #11
beamie

My 2cents

I know where Duke is heading here. It is true when you go down to the local Marina everyone is Capt this and that, whatever....

The test has been the same for years. It does not matter how you got your test, whether you study solely on your own or go to a few month school or go to a four year college. It is all the same test, the only difference is preparing for it.

Now for me you'll never hear me refer to myself as Capt. Jon. I have a piece of paper that says 50 Ton Master on it and it allows me to take fares fishing and a bit more. I reserve the term Capt or Master for the gents I work with in my real job. The guys that Captain boats 2 and 3+ football fields long. To me, they are Capts. ( Unlimited). I will sometimes get a kick when someone with a limit HP Engineers license refers himself as Chief. And I will say to myself....of what? a tugboat. Again I reserve the word Chief for the guy working on the big Unlimited stuff.

Now with that said and just my opinion. Don't deminish the skills of a OPUV, 50, 100 etc ton guys that have that piece of paper. It is all what they do with it. Fishing aside, some are very skilled boatsman, some not. Everyone that passed a test is not the best. I see it all the time in my industry and have let people go ocassionally that are not up to par but they had the license. It is 2 different, but sometimes similar, worlds between small boat operation and ships. But I can see where the overuse of the term Capt gets to some.

Jon, 24' Nauset-Green Topsides, Beamie, North River. Channel 68/69. MSBA, NIBA
beamie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 03:00 PM   #12
Raider Ronnie

Send a message via AIM to Raider Ronnie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke41 View Post
geez I have my capts lic for 5 years to so. Now it seems like every guy with a rowboat has his capts lic. Kind of dilutes the breed. I laugh every time I see a non charter guy or none bait shop guy begin his name with capt. I took the test now I iz a capt.. Bull%$%$%$%$!!!

You have had your lic for ONLY 5 years and are bitching about others who got theirs within the past 5 years ???
Raider Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 10:52 AM   #13
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

I make people call me Admiral

"A beach is a place where a man can feel he's the only soul in the world that's real"
ProfessorM is offline   Reply With Quote