Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » DIY - Forum

DIY - Forum Do It Yourself for Non-Fishing Items

Old 07-30-2021, 06:16 PM   #1
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmarsh View Post
They want this deck to look.....not hacked....so Im here with my finish crew.
Speaking of finish carpentry, 162 years old and tight as can be. My neighbor has the exact same stair rail built 10 years prior and I'm assuming made with the same tools by the same craftsman. Look at those joints!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1134.jpg
Views:	1096
Size:	62.9 KB
ID:	68253  
spence is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 07:22 PM   #2
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

Nice new office, Bob! And change of project. I enjoy seeing a high end deck through to finish.... I would have taken the cut position too!

I have a growing list of very old exterior doors that need to be tuned up or have thresholds replaced or refinished. Can't touch them until this humidity goes away... Some of these folks getting their (wet) houses painted really need their heads examined. Going to be a lot of bubbling paint showing this fall, I think.

Your exit photos on recent houses have been consistently showing off your craftsmanship. It is also very nice to know you have a good paint crew following behind you...

“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed, unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms.” – James Madison.
nightfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 04:47 AM   #3
Rmarsh

Thanks Ross. We keep commercial grade dehumidifiers going 24/7 on the job to prevent problems with our finish work.
The three guys I'm working with make coming to work a pleasure...good-natured and respectfull... no slackers.... no bitching or argueing....just teamwork...everyone doing their job.We get alot of work done.
Rmarsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 07:08 AM   #4
Rmarsh

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
Speaking of finish carpentry, 162 years old and tight as can be. My neighbor has the exact same stair rail built 10 years prior and I'm assuming made with the same tools by the same craftsman. Look at those joints!

Spence that is a really neat detail....with the wreath fitting into the newel cap. I have done many railing jobs like that......where the railings go on top of... rather than into the newel posts.
Old 08-07-2021, 04:59 AM   #5
Rmarsh

Trex decking is done....had to replace some of the pressure treated joists that were crowned upside down causing a dip in the floor. We are not using the hidden fasteners and grooved decking that is commonly used....all solid edge...face screwed and plugged. Joists are all 12" o.c....adds up to a lot of screws and plugs.

On decks over twenty feet where deck boards have to be pieced in length..... we have found that the grooved decking with hidden fasteners allow the boards to expand lengthwise and slide apart....opening the butted joint.....when they contract....the joint stays apart.

Last edited by Rmarsh; 08-26-2023 at 06:05 AM..
Old 08-09-2021, 05:40 PM   #6
Rmarsh

Jig for skillsaw..... to cut all the posts down to 45" high.
The jig can be used for square cuts on decking or.... anything else.

Old 08-11-2021, 03:06 AM   #7
piemma
Very Grumpy bay man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmarsh View Post
Trex decking is done....had to replace some of the pressure treated joists that were crowned upside down causing a dip in the floor. We are not using the hidden fasteners and grooved decking that is commonly used....all solid edge...face screwed and plugged. Joists are all 12" o.c....adds up to a lot of screws and plugs.

On decks over twenty feet where deck boards have to be pieced in length..... we have found that the grooved decking with hidden fasteners allow the boards to expand lengthwise and slide apart....opening the butted joint.....when they contract....the joint stays apart.
I don't like the hidden fastener decks. I have built quite a few and the face screwed decks hold up better. JMO

No boat, back in the suds.
piemma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2021, 05:38 AM   #8
Rmarsh

Those little plugs that cover the screw holes....and there had to be thousands on this deck.....have to be inserted with the grain going the same direction as the deck boards.....and they become almost invisable....and if you dont take the time... they are clearly visable.
Old 08-17-2021, 06:32 PM   #9
Rmarsh

Glad to be done with this deck.......been kinda hot the last few days working there in the full sun.....tired me out.
42" high railing.... posts were less than 6' apart ...very sturdy.