Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 02-26-2022, 06:20 AM   #421
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete F. View Post

JUST imagine if trump were still president, actually you don’t have to, just read his statements
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Niles: You have met “people”, haven’t you?

Lets Go Darwin
Old 02-26-2022, 06:50 AM   #422
Jim in CT

Quote:
Pete: Biden is bad, but there might be a person or two who’d be worse.

he’s tanking with independents. that’s the ballgame.
Old 02-26-2022, 06:59 AM   #423
Jim in CT

Biden, as a candidate for potus:

“Putin doesn’t want me to be president. If you’re wondering why, it’s because I’m the only person in this field who’s gone toe-to-toe with him.”

First Biden clobbered an armed drug kingpin named Corn Pop. taking on Putin is nothing compared to that.
Old 02-26-2022, 07:38 AM   #424
Pete F.
Canceled

I heard Putin just used the term ‘drug-addicted neo-Nazis’ and I think it’s nice he finally gave the Trump’s a shout-out.
Old 02-26-2022, 08:04 AM   #425
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

Quote:
The truth is Biden has made hard intelligence public, transparently - and it turned out true, it has boxed Putin in, he’s rallied nato and the world community and handled this crisis with a sure even hand.

The truth is the Admin did a good job at warning everyone this was coming, heck a lot of us were warning this was coming.

Te Admin did a bad job at convincing others to prepare. They did a bad job of altering the equation to the point of change in Putin's calculations (might be nothing would have).

Quote:
JUST imagine if trump were still president, actually you don’t have to, just read his statements
Well, looking at what he did to help Ukraine before Biden it looks like Trump has had a successful impact. In addition known assistance like Javelins, there was USA support including several years of significant training - which we are seeing the results of now. They are holding, taking a beating, but holding.

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming:
Old 02-26-2022, 08:34 AM   #426
Pete F.
Canceled

Trump withheld aid authorized by Congress for months until he was forced to release it, then when he authorized Javelins he did it with the caveat that they couldn’t be used against the Russian backed separatists.
Luckily for the Ukrainians, Zelensky didn’t listen to Trump who said “ I think he’s going to make a deal with President Putin, and he will be invited to the White House,” Mr. Trump said of the Ukrainian president
“I really hope you and President Putin get together and can solve your problem.”
Old 02-26-2022, 08:53 AM   #427
wdmso

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnR View Post
Make not mistake - we are likely as close to all out nuclear war as we have been since Cuba. Putin is a madman.

Yep. How much have you been watching what is happening there? Seems to me the best and brightest RUS forces have not been as much in contact as expected. Some of the forces used are the Rosgardia, loosely akin, but not as capable / competent as our National Guard units.

The fact that Ukraine still has active AAD and Air Forces not yet 72 hours in is impressive. Block to block fighting in Kyiv might favor the Ukranians.

Ukraine has held Cherniv, Kharkiv, Sumy, Mariupol, the rough line of Kuhansk Donetsk. Yesterday they staged a deep strike to a couple airfields close to Kyiv, initially held those fields but were beaten back enough that the follow on Ilyushins carrying reinforcements were reportedly turned around.

Also rumors of two RUAF Ilyushins shot down tonight IAO Kyiv carrying landing forces with probably a 150-200 troops each.

They have a lot of issues with RUS forces in outskirts of Kyiv as well as a 100-120K breakout from Crimea. Some RUS SF have reportedly shed their RUS uniforms and donned UA uniforms.

Fustercluck

Some estimates of over 3000 Russian casualties so far.

Fighting in Kyiv relatively close to Maidan:

I saw those troop carries being shot down man pads? I didn’t think we gave them any stingers but did just read Poland sent some Grom shoulder-fired heat-seeking surface-to-air missiles, and it look like they are using them on high casualties targets …with success

The Ukraine’s know their land not sure if they ever constructed many obstacles or mined road ways

Sending Conscripting troops with less than a year experience to fight a 3 front war , looks like Russians haven’t learned from WW2 and their send everyone approach
Old 02-26-2022, 09:54 AM   #428
JohnR

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdmso View Post
I saw those troop carries being shot down man pads? I didn’t think we gave them any stingers but did just read Poland sent some Grom shoulder-fired heat-seeking surface-to-air missiles, and it look like they are using them on high casualties targets …with success

The Ukraine’s know their land not sure if they ever constructed many obstacles or mined road ways

Sending Conscripting troops with less than a year experience to fight a 3 front war , looks like Russians haven’t learned from WW2 and their send everyone approach

We sent planeloads of Stingers and additional planeloads of Javelins. Baltic states and several former WPact, (CZ, PO, RO, BU) sent hundreds of stingers, and late RUS MANPADS.

The RUS gains, other than in the south, are really not inspiring confidence.

Apocalypse is Coming:
Old 02-26-2022, 10:57 AM   #429
wdmso

Quote:
We sent planeloads of Stingers and additional planeloads of Javelins. Baltic states and several former WPact, (CZ, PO, RO, BU) sent hundreds of stingers, and late RUS MANPADS.

The RUS gains, other than in the south, are really not inspiring confidence.
I figure the Javelins but haven't heard of their use. Because I am sure we want to know their effectiveness on New Russian Armor
including AT4s I fired a few hard to hit at distance

I have no expectations of a Ukraine Military victory .. but seems they are winning the public relation war .. Swinging many to support more equipment then a few days ago

Its going to get uglier in the coming days for both sides
Old 02-26-2022, 11:13 AM   #430
JohnR

Quote:
I figure the Javelins but haven't heard of their use. Because I am sure we want to know their effectiveness on New Russian Armor
including AT4s I fired a few hard to hit at distance

I have no expectations of a Ukraine Military victory .. but seems they are winning the public relation war .. Swinging many to support more equipment then a few days ago

Its going to get uglier in the coming days for both sides
BTW - RUS had retrofitted much of the their armor / mechanized for drone submuntioins - still those Turkish made Bayraktar drones UA is using seem to be hitting RUS hard.

Yes. Embarrassment for Putin is going to change things not in a good way. Talks of kicking RUS out of SWIFT, lots of countries denying RUS commercial aviation, shipping.

Apocalypse is Coming:
Old 02-26-2022, 11:19 AM   #431
scottw

oh boy....

A new Harvard CAPS-Harris Poll survey released Friday found that 62 percent of those polled believed Putin would not be moving against Ukraine if Trump had been president.

When looking strictly at the answers of Democrats and Republicans, 85 percent of Republicans and 38 percent of Democrats answered this way. . . . A majority of Americans polled — 59 percent — also said they believed that the Russian president moved on Ukraine because Putin saw weakness in President Biden.

Thirty-eight percent of Democrats think Trump would have prevented this. After six full years of blanket press coverage calling Trump a pawn of Putin.
Old 02-26-2022, 11:48 AM   #432
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post
oh boy....

A new Harvard CAPS-Harris Poll survey released Friday found that 62 percent of those polled believed Putin would not be moving against Ukraine if Trump had been president.

When looking strictly at the answers of Democrats and Republicans, 85 percent of Republicans and 38 percent of Democrats answered this way. . . . A majority of Americans polled — 59 percent — also said they believed that the Russian president moved on Ukraine because Putin saw weakness in President Biden.

Thirty-eight percent of Democrats think Trump would have prevented this. After six full years of blanket press coverage calling Trump a pawn of Putin.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5589.JPG
Views:	94
Size:	236.0 KB
ID:	68759  

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
Old 02-26-2022, 12:06 PM   #433
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dad Fisherman View Post
oh the kids are gonna love that…
Old 02-26-2022, 12:34 PM   #434
Pete F.
Canceled

Ukraine claims it's killed almost 3,000 Russian soldiers in the first 36 hours of the invasion.

As ever, you have to take these things with a grain of salt, but anything even remotely close to that number would be stunning – the US lost 4,431 in two decades in Iraq
Old 02-26-2022, 12:43 PM   #435
wdmso

Quote:
oh boy....

That same 62% think he won the election or the election was rigged

Of course Putin wouldn’t have invaded because Trump would have given Putin what he wanted no nato in Ukraine and more us Troops removed from Europe .

Not because he’s a strong leader as you cult members suggest

When looking strictly at the answers of Democrats and Republicans, 85 percent of Republicans and 38 percent of Democrats answered this way.

Who would have guessed

However, 38 percent of all Americans polled believed that Putin would have invaded Ukraine even if Trump had been president

Last edited by wdmso; 02-26-2022 at 12:52 PM..
Old 02-26-2022, 01:10 PM   #436
scottw

Quote:
That same 62% think he won the election or the election was rigged

Of course Putin wouldn’t have invaded because Trump would have given Putin what he wanted no nato in Ukraine and more us Troops removed from Europe .

Not because he’s a strong leader as you cult members suggest

When looking strictly at the answers of Democrats and Republicans, 85 percent of Republicans and 38 percent of Democrats answered this way.

Who would have guessed

However, 38 percent of all Americans polled believed that Putin would have invaded Ukraine even if Trump had been president

you sound like biden struggling to make a point....
Old 02-26-2022, 02:17 PM   #437
wdmso

thermobaric rockets systems seen on their way
Old 02-26-2022, 03:17 PM   #438
spence

Quote:
Yes. Embarrassment for Putin is going to change things not in a good way.
I think it could go way beyond embarrassment. If there’s no clear path out through Ukraine he could drag other countries into this mess or just wage war on the West in general. Start stockpiling canned tuna.
Old 02-26-2022, 03:58 PM   #439
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
I think it could go way beyond embarrassment. If there’s no clear path out through Ukraine he could drag other countries into this mess or just wage war on the West in general. Start stockpiling canned tuna.
he threatened finland and sweden not to join NATO. If Putin had a brain, i think it’s broke.

it’s hard to believe we’re actually talking about an unprovoked invasion.

I’d love to see Putin answer for this someday.
Old 02-26-2022, 04:07 PM   #440
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
he threatened finland and sweden not to join NATO. If Putin had a brain, i think it’s broke.

it’s hard to believe we’re actually talking about an unprovoked invasion.

I’d love to see Putin answer for this someday.
it's not the first time in history...we just like to act as though it can't happen....
Old 02-26-2022, 04:09 PM   #441
Jim in CT

Quote:
it's not the first time in history...we just like to act as though it can't happen....
but it’s the first time in a loooong time. you’re right, dangerous to get complacent.
Old 02-26-2022, 04:12 PM   #442
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
but it’s the first time in a loooong time. you’re right, dangerous to get complacent.
depends on your definition of long

some would include this "And then there was George W. Bush, who unnecessarily invaded Saddam’s Iraq—which had been severely weakened by Bush Sr.’s pounding of it a decade before—on a bunch of trumped up-accusations."
Old 02-26-2022, 04:27 PM   #443
Jim in CT

Quote:

some would include this "And then there was George W. Bush, who unnecessarily invaded Saddam’s Iraq—which had been severely weakened by Bush Sr.’s pounding of it a decade before—on a bunch of trumped up-accusations."

very true.
Old 02-26-2022, 04:40 PM   #444
spence

Quote:

As much as the Iraq war was a tragic blunder all around at least you could argue we were up against an incredibly corrupt authoritarian regime. In Ukraine we’re talking about a mostly peaceful democracy.

Worst quote reportedly overheard from a Russian soldier: “We don’t know who to shoot, they all look like us.”
Old 02-26-2022, 05:32 PM   #445
scottw

Quote:
As much as the Iraq war was a tragic blunder all around at least you could argue we were up against an incredibly corrupt authoritarian regime. In Ukraine we’re talking about a mostly peaceful democracy.
2 for 2 stating the obvious today...good job!
Old 02-26-2022, 06:51 PM   #446
JohnR

Quote:
Ukraine claims it's killed almost 3,000 Russian soldiers in the first 36 hours of the invasion.

As ever, you have to take these things with a grain of salt, but anything even remotely close to that number would be stunning – the US lost 4,431 in two decades in Iraq
I am seeing enough that convinces me that number might be close to accurate. Ukraine's losses are also much higher than reported, but they are holding so far. Ballsy AF.

Quote:
thermobaric rockets systems seen on their way
They've been doing a lot of Grads in different places but the Thermobaric weapons are an entire different level of bad.

Quote:
True. Having the electricity off for a long time is not out of the question (cyber or worse) and we are always about 9 meals away from absolute mayhem.

Apocalypse is Coming:
Old 02-26-2022, 07:33 PM   #447
scottw

good job....

During the phase of Russia’s troop buildup that began last fall, the White House presented evidence of Russia’s activities surrounding Ukraine to Qin Gang, China’s ambassador to the U.S., according to the New York Times. Instead of pressuring Moscow to back down, the Chinese government shared that intelligence with the Kremlin.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9336.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	179.5 KB
ID:	68760  
Old 02-26-2022, 07:53 PM   #448
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

Quote:
I am seeing enough that convinces me that number might be close to accurate. Ukraine's losses are also much higher than reported, but they are holding so far. Ballsy AF.

Conscripted troops with less training contribute to early losses

They've been doing a lot of Grads in different places but the Thermobaric weapons are an entire different level of bad.

Horrible weapon system. Horrible way to die

True. Having the electricity off for a long time is not out of the question (cyber or worse) and we are always about 9 meals away from absolute mayhem.
Choose your level of preparation...
I think German Chancellor is taking the lead here for a European led coalition. Might be NATO, but could involve non NATO countries as well. He had Polish PM and head of Lithuania in Berlin today. It would be best IMO if this were not US led response. American participation, in a significant way, but not at the head of the coalition.

“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed, unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms.” – James Madison.
Old 02-26-2022, 08:06 PM   #449
JohnR

Quote:
good job....

During the phase of Russia’s troop buildup that began last fall, the White House presented evidence of Russia’s activities surrounding Ukraine to Qin Gang, China’s ambassador to the U.S., according to the New York Times. Instead of pressuring Moscow to back down, the Chinese government shared that intelligence with the Kremlin.
I think this was good. They tried to get China to assist - no surprise they didn't , but it is good others know.

I think it is good that the Biden admin spilled a lot of beans on RUS leading up to this, including that VP had made its decisions. Too many important leaders with willing to ignore what was happening.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightfighter View Post
Choose your level of preparation...
I think German Chancellor is taking the lead here for a European led coalition. Might be NATO, but could involve non NATO countries as well. He had Polish PM and head of Lithuania in Berlin today. It would be best IMO if this were not US led response. American participation, in a significant way, but not at the head of the coalition.
I think Poland should be leading, Germany is NOT yet to be trusted based on how they have behaved the past decade WRT Russia and their own defense.

Apocalypse is Coming:
Old 02-26-2022, 09:20 PM   #450
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

Too bad about all that weaponry we left in Afghanistan...... Just imagine if that had been put in someone else's hands

“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed, unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms.” – James Madison.