Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List Arcade Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Main Forum » How To's, F.A.Q.s, Tips, & Tricks » Popular How-To threads

Popular How-To threads Favorite How-To threads from other parts of the boards that we recommend people read (especially novices) when an answer to a common question is needed...

Old 01-05-2009, 11:20 PM   #1
NIB

Quote:
Originally Posted by NIB View Post

This little pump is all you need...You could fashion a tank from a plastic 60 gallon drum also.Lots of guys I now use em.The car wash places get their soap in these and have em for nothing..Cut it a little bigger than half.You can make a top out of 3/4 plywood set down about 3 inches.This keeps the water from going all over when filling with a pail..Screw it in from the sides.Some silicone..Cut out a door,use a hinge and a little closer lock..I would suggest to poly the lid...

Classic case of too much info at one time I guess..

FORE!
It's usually darkest just before it turns Black..
NIB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 11:44 PM   #2
Krispy

Might want to think about a larger drain valve. 3/4" will take forever to empty. I use 3" petcocks on my tanks at home
Krispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 05:49 PM   #3
Chris in Mass

Location: Recently relocated to the shores of Rhode Island - East Bay!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krispy View Post
Might want to think about a larger drain valve...
I was just glad to find something at the bog box stores that would work and I really wanted the 90 degree. If it gets annoying, I'll swap it out this summer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GattaFish View Post
Nice tank,,,,, I would have used laminating epoxy to seal the wood top before installing it then caulked it into place,,,,,
Yes - Lesson learned. A V8 moment for sure and I missed it in NIB's earlier post. It'll be a little cumbersome to do it now, but I got all winter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiff tip View Post
...if you can put the pogies in a live cart when you get there its better...
Hey thanks for all your help. This will be the next winter fishing project.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saltheart View Post
...So that's a vote for Keep alive but i have to say that trying to catch and keep bait alive in your motor vehicle is the single biggest PITA in fishing! ...
Where were you when I started this thing I'm going with the school of NIB for now - bubbles only (plus enclosed ice and some other additives). If they start dying out in numbers, I'll revisit what you and Stiff Tip are suggesting.
Chris in Mass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 08:27 PM   #4
NIB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris in Mass View Post
I was just glad to find something at the bog box stores that would work and I really wanted the 90 degree. If it gets annoying, I'll swap it out this summer.

Yes - Lesson learned. A V8 moment for sure and I missed it in NIB's earlier post. It'll be a little cumbersome to do it now, but I got all winter

Hey thanks for all your help. This will be the next winter fishing project.

Where were you when I started this thing I'm going with the school of NIB for now - bubbles only (plus enclosed ice and some other additives). If they start dying out in numbers, I'll revisit what you and Stiff Tip are suggesting.

I have built 200 gal tanks with a six stone system that we would transport 150 herring in.I have done 7 others from 30 -50 gallons.
I Primarily use what is called a hospital pump.It's a piston pump that was used to pump air in a hospital.It's on the workbench as there is something not quite right with it.So I'm back to my original pump.My first pump was the Dayton.Like I mentioned but I could not seem to find it on the web.It was small like a coffe can.It has a draw of .08 amps which was great.I could run it quite while with no wrorries..I would use this to go to trenton bringing back 35 herring in a 35 gallon tank.About a hr ride with some in there from the time it takes to catch em.There would be the ususal casualties mostly from handling but for the most part the pump was more that adequate.This is really stretching their limitaions..
While I agree with Saltheart on a basket.I have used the collapsable Mesh net type on the backside flats of Nantucket.It does not really suit my needs from the jetty's.I have to keep em in the tank in my van.I hump em in a pail usually one at a time to my fishing locations.Most of my livelining takes place in the early summer months.I have a dark van and it can get really hot in there.So the I have gone thru best means of keeping my bait fresh.I ususally catch em in the wee hrs of the morning.I prefer to start with a good number like 8-10 in a 50 gallon tank.I keep em as they deplete thru attrition thru the day..I ususally wont go fishing unless I have at least 4 good baits.
I have also built a holding pen that is 4x8 by 5 ft tall.It's a masterpeice of ABS pipe and mesh..The Herring Motel..If I am not going to use em all I might penn em..
I put quite a bit of work into my live baits.I have learned what works and what does not the hard way..
My friend has been using that pump a few yrs now with no problems.Yes there are larger ones.I have a pump that with one stone will boil a dozen bunker.They also will dram more amperage.You will have toi get a better stone.You are going to have to wieght it to keep it on the bottom.Them square edged white stones work well and are heavy enough to stay on the bottom..
Aquaticeco .com has everything.

FORE!
It's usually darkest just before it turns Black..
NIB is offline   Reply With Quote