Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » DIY - Forum

DIY - Forum Do It Yourself for Non-Fishing Items

Old 07-10-2021, 05:48 AM   #121
Rmarsh

Floor plan for the "Willow"

Last edited by Rmarsh; 08-26-2023 at 05:54 AM..
Rmarsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2021, 06:10 AM   #122
bloocrab
Callinectes sapidus

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightfighter View Post
What's the gabled bump outs in both of those? (I see the shed bump out for the gas insert vent in Bob's.)

That's an awkward looking bump out directly near the other, thinking if it were my home, I'd a wanted it married into the breakfast area... would have made the outside aesthetics more appealing, and I'm sure I or (the wife) could have come up with something creative to do with the additional interior space gained.

I played with my house plans for over a year before it got built. You always would have done something different after it's built though...no matter how hard you try.

......it finally happened, there are no more secret spots
bloocrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2021, 06:17 AM   #123
Rmarsh

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloocrab View Post
That's an awkward looking bump out directly near the other, thinking if it were my home, I'd a wanted it married into the breakfast area... would have made the outside aesthetics more appealing, and I'm sure I or (the wife) could have come up with something creative to do with the additional interior space gained.

I played with my house plans for over a year before it got built. You always would have done something different after it's built though...no matter how hard you try.

I agree.....the fireplace bumpout is fugly.

I'm living in a house I drew plans for and built when I was 21 years old.....still like it....but would have done some things different.

Old 07-11-2021, 07:22 AM   #124
Rmarsh

That house would look great with a masonry/stone chimney........ been awhile since we built a home with a traditional brick fireplace.
We had a homeowner who wanted that look... so we framed a wooden chase to above the roof line to house the gas flue and applied a cultured stone veneer.
I've seen where it gets wrapped with vinyl siding........but that looks awful.

For front stoop and porches....we do the formwork and it gets poured concrete. We dont have a regular masonry subcontractor/bricklayer any longer.
Old 07-11-2021, 08:15 AM   #125
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guppy View Post
To be honest, I don’t remember… LOL
Probably master bath,,,,
LOL Spoken like an architect........

“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed, unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms.” – James Madison.
nightfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 05:20 AM   #126
Rmarsh

Got in before the moving vans for a few pics

Old 07-22-2021, 05:22 AM   #127
Rmarsh

Fireplace and foyer....Stair treads, railings and flooring are maple.

Old 07-28-2021, 05:23 AM   #128
Rmarsh

We are having another great year building new homes.... all presold before we start. I like a one story house....no stairs to finish.
The stockpile of lampposts I built in my shop during covid are getting used up fast.

Last edited by Rmarsh; 08-26-2023 at 06:05 AM..
Old 07-28-2021, 05:31 AM   #129
Guppy
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmarsh View Post
We are having another great year building new homes.... all presold before we start. I like a one story house....no stairs to finish.
The stockpile of lampposts I built in my shop during covid are getting used up fast.
Now that’s more like it !
When you build mine add freeze boards….. ;-)
Guppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 05:39 AM   #130
Rmarsh

Quote:
Now that’s more like it !
When you build mine add freeze boards….. ;-)
I never thought Id see the day......that houses in this price range...get vinyl siding....and aluminum covered rakes and facia.

The recessed lights in the kitchen....could have looked so much better if they aligned with the center of the cabinet doors. Hard to tell from the angle I took the picture from.
I realize it might be difficult for the electrician to get exact locations...and there can be a joist in the way sometimes.
He leaves a wire up in the ceiling for the pendant lights over the island so those will be precise.

Another electrician we sub to uses led recessed lights that can be installed after the cabinets to get them aligned with center of cabinet doors.

Last edited by Rmarsh; 08-26-2023 at 06:02 AM..
Old 07-30-2021, 05:17 AM   #131
Rmarsh

Change of pace ...and location. Got away from our current subdivision.. waiting on a bunch more houses to be ready for inside trim. Got a walk around deck to finish... house is on stilts...maybe about 150 yards to the ocean. I set up underneath in the shade...I'll be the cut man. The ocean breeze yesterday was fantastic....better than AC.

Old 07-30-2021, 05:43 AM   #132
Guppy
User

Quote:
Change of pace ...and location. Got away from our current subdivision.. waiting on a bunch more houses to be ready for inside trim. Got a walk around deck to finish... house is on stilts...maybe about 150 yards to the ocean. I set up underneath in the shade...I'll be the cut man. The ocean breeze yesterday was fantastic....better than AC.
Wow!
Let it blow that frame will take it….
Old 07-30-2021, 05:54 AM   #133
Rmarsh

Quote:
Wow!
Let it blow that frame will take it….

Yep...galvanized steel columns welded to steel beams above.....at first glance i thought the columns were concrete.
Old 07-30-2021, 11:50 AM   #134
fishsmith
DDG-51

Really digging this thread, great pics and commentary. living in a 24x40 raised ranch for 22 years now, I know small kitchens. This year we said good bye to the original 56yr old cabinets (new knobs though, they dressed em up nice 😊 ). Gutted the kitchen to the studs, new door, windows, an opening/cut out between kitchen and living room and the tiles being laid as I type. The cabinets were ordered in April and should* be installed aug10th. Quite a process, always impressive watching pros work. It had to be nice so that’s why I have no part except for painting, and as a Navy veteran, I had lots of practice (once over dust twice over rust). Again, great thread and top notch work from the looks of things.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
fishsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 03:00 PM   #135
Rmarsh

Thanks....I will keep the thread going as long as guys like yourself are interested....your kitchen remodel will come out great I'm sure.....sounds like you did the proper planning and have patience.
Thanks for your service to our country.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Old 07-30-2021, 03:32 PM   #136
Rmarsh

View from my work.
Framing is off a little but we will make adjustments as necessasery.
I love working outside going back to my days as a framer.
They want this deck to look.....not hacked....so Im here with my finish crew.
That is Cuttyhunk right out there.

Old 07-30-2021, 06:16 PM   #137
spence

Quote:
They want this deck to look.....not hacked....so Im here with my finish crew.
Speaking of finish carpentry, 162 years old and tight as can be. My neighbor has the exact same stair rail built 10 years prior and I'm assuming made with the same tools by the same craftsman. Look at those joints!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1134.jpg
Views:	1071
Size:	62.9 KB
ID:	68253  
spence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 07:22 PM   #138
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

Nice new office, Bob! And change of project. I enjoy seeing a high end deck through to finish.... I would have taken the cut position too!

I have a growing list of very old exterior doors that need to be tuned up or have thresholds replaced or refinished. Can't touch them until this humidity goes away... Some of these folks getting their (wet) houses painted really need their heads examined. Going to be a lot of bubbling paint showing this fall, I think.

Your exit photos on recent houses have been consistently showing off your craftsmanship. It is also very nice to know you have a good paint crew following behind you...

“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed, unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms.” – James Madison.
nightfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 04:47 AM   #139
Rmarsh

Thanks Ross. We keep commercial grade dehumidifiers going 24/7 on the job to prevent problems with our finish work.
The three guys I'm working with make coming to work a pleasure...good-natured and respectfull... no slackers.... no bitching or argueing....just teamwork...everyone doing their job.We get alot of work done.
Old 07-31-2021, 07:08 AM   #140
Rmarsh

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
Speaking of finish carpentry, 162 years old and tight as can be. My neighbor has the exact same stair rail built 10 years prior and I'm assuming made with the same tools by the same craftsman. Look at those joints!

Spence that is a really neat detail....with the wreath fitting into the newel cap. I have done many railing jobs like that......where the railings go on top of... rather than into the newel posts.
Old 08-07-2021, 04:59 AM   #141
Rmarsh

Trex decking is done....had to replace some of the pressure treated joists that were crowned upside down causing a dip in the floor. We are not using the hidden fasteners and grooved decking that is commonly used....all solid edge...face screwed and plugged. Joists are all 12" o.c....adds up to a lot of screws and plugs.

On decks over twenty feet where deck boards have to be pieced in length..... we have found that the grooved decking with hidden fasteners allow the boards to expand lengthwise and slide apart....opening the butted joint.....when they contract....the joint stays apart.

Old 08-09-2021, 05:40 PM   #142
Rmarsh

Jig for skillsaw..... to cut all the posts down to 45" high.
The jig can be used for square cuts on decking or.... anything else.

Old 08-09-2021, 06:04 PM   #143
Hookedagain

Where can I but one of those 10' speed square you have laying down below on the gravel?
Hookedagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 06:25 PM   #144
Rmarsh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookedagain View Post
Where can I but one of those 10' speed square you have laying down below on the gravel?

Haha.....Its actually part of the septic system design........some sort of filtration
Old 08-11-2021, 03:06 AM   #145
piemma
Very Grumpy bay man

Quote:
Trex decking is done....had to replace some of the pressure treated joists that were crowned upside down causing a dip in the floor. We are not using the hidden fasteners and grooved decking that is commonly used....all solid edge...face screwed and plugged. Joists are all 12" o.c....adds up to a lot of screws and plugs.

On decks over twenty feet where deck boards have to be pieced in length..... we have found that the grooved decking with hidden fasteners allow the boards to expand lengthwise and slide apart....opening the butted joint.....when they contract....the joint stays apart.
I don't like the hidden fastener decks. I have built quite a few and the face screwed decks hold up better. JMO

No boat, back in the suds.
piemma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2021, 05:38 AM   #146
Rmarsh

Those little plugs that cover the screw holes....and there had to be thousands on this deck.....have to be inserted with the grain going the same direction as the deck boards.....and they become almost invisable....and if you dont take the time... they are clearly visable.
Old 08-17-2021, 06:32 PM   #147
Rmarsh

Glad to be done with this deck.......been kinda hot the last few days working there in the full sun.....tired me out.
42" high railing.... posts were less than 6' apart ...very sturdy.

Old 08-20-2021, 05:03 AM   #148
Rmarsh

Looking good with the landscaping done...except for grass seeding. These were sold pre-construction...more being framed ....and another one or two are ready for finish. Supply chain for materials is not an issue right now. Kitchen and bath cabinet supplier has been on time...getting them to us as soon as the job is ready. This small subdivision is getting sold out fast.......company always has more land being readied for future construction.

Old 08-28-2021, 05:59 AM   #149
Rmarsh

The kitchen install I did this week started off badly.
Instead of using our regular kitchen designer/supplier....this customer wanted to handle the whole thing themselves through someone they knew at their local lumberyard. Cabinets get dropped of and I start laying out according to the plan provided. Right away I find that after the 24" upper corner cabinet...they show a 12" wall cabinet that covers over the kitchen window casing almost to the jamb. I notify my boss who calls the customer. Customer comes to job and asks me how this happened! Classic!
Old 08-28-2021, 06:03 AM   #150
Guppy
User

Quote:
The kitchen install I did this week started off badly.
Instead of using our regular kitchen designer/supplier....this customer wanted to handle the whole thing themselves through someone they knew at their local lumberyard. Cabinets get dropped of and I start laying out according to the plan provided. Right away I find that after the 24" upper corner cabinet...they show a 12" wall cabinet that covers over the kitchen window casing almost to the jamb. I notify my boss who calls the customer. Customer comes to job and asks me how this happened! Classic!
Customers should only be allowed to sign checks,,,, ;-). LOL