Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Main Forum » Boat Fishing & Boating

Boat Fishing & Boating A new forum at Striped-Bass.com for those fishing from boats and for boating in general

Old 01-31-2023, 07:32 PM   #1
Hookedagain

Aluminum boat transom

I haven't changed the plywood that is bolted to the transom of an aluminum boat since I was a kid. I have a 16' Starcraft that has a piece of 3/4" plywood bolted to the transom and it is in need of replacement. Is there a better product out there? Or should I just use another piece of plywood? I was going to use treated or marine ply but asm't sure if there is something new that is better to use.

Spud
Hookedagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2023, 10:36 AM   #2
clambo

transom

Whatever you do don't use pressure treated with aluminum. It will eat your aluminum very quickly. I would use marine grade plywood with a sealer that it compatible with aluminum.
clambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2023, 11:56 AM   #3
Hookedagain

Quote:
Originally Posted by clambo View Post
Whatever you do don't use pressure treated with aluminum. It will eat your aluminum very quickly. I would use marine grade plywood with a sealer that it compatible with aluminum.
Good advice. I was unaware that there is a chemical reaction between the two. I have a piece of MDO (Medium Density Overlay) with the paper glued to one side. Its supposed to be marine grade, used on sign work a lot. I think some marine paint and primer and I'm good to go.
Old 02-02-2023, 05:48 PM   #4
Guppy
User

Hey Spud !
I’m thinking that MD won’t hold… I dun no !

I had a plywood delam over years and went with a pcs of pvc on the back and a pcs of , um, hard pine interior..
Not a ton of use yet but thinking it’ll outlive me… LOL

01CB0145-574D-426A-86CC-269A83F31709.jpeg

13671716-F448-4482-8D02-4B21815FE216.jpeg
Guppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2023, 10:50 PM   #5
Slipknot
Super Moderator

just get regular marine grade fir plywood
epoxy it and be done with it

if you plan to have it a long time, coat it with 3 coats of a thin enough penetrating epoxy to begin with once it is fitted. Then glass it in place.

The United States Constitution does not exist to grant you rights; those rights are inherent within you. Rather it exists to frame a limited government so that those natural rights can be exercised freely.

1984 was a warning, not a guidebook!

It's time more people spoke up with the truth. Every time we let a leftist lie go uncorrected, the commies get stronger.
Slipknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2023, 03:28 PM   #6
Hookedagain

Thanks guys. I will talk to a buddy about a piece of Marine ply, and I might have a scrap of PVC laying around.
Old 02-04-2023, 10:38 AM   #7
Rmarsh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookedagain View Post
Thanks guys. I will talk to a buddy about a piece of Marine ply, and I might have a scrap of PVC laying around.
Hooked...I have alot of 3/4" pvc scraps in my shop that I would be happy to give you. Let me know approx size and I'll "hook" you up
Rmarsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2023, 08:46 PM   #8
Hookedagain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmarsh View Post
Hooked...I have alot of 3/4" pvc scraps in my shop that I would be happy to give you. Let me know approx size and I'll "hook" you up
Thank you very much! I am up in North country right now, but will contact you this week.