Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Main Forum » StriperTalk!

StriperTalk! All things Striper

Old 02-05-2023, 12:54 PM   #1
Rmarsh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebe View Post
https://youtu.be/s1zEYnl7V7s

Kids in the trades should watch this
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

I watched it.....hit home in a lot of ways. Everybody could use this advice. I read a book about confidence and it changed my life.
He is an excellent speaker too. Thanks for posting it.
...stirred up memories of buying my first chainsaw at 18

Last edited by Rmarsh; 02-05-2023 at 01:05 PM..
Rmarsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2023, 02:50 PM   #2
Nebe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmarsh View Post
I watched it.....hit home in a lot of ways. Everybody could use this advice. I read a book about confidence and it changed my life.
He is an excellent speaker too. Thanks for posting it.
...stirred up memories of buying my first chainsaw at 18
glad you watched it. You were who i was thinking of when I posted it.

I have only watched 2 or 3 of his videos but he sure comes across as a well spoken, sharing and all around cool dude.
Nebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2023, 03:09 PM   #3
Rmarsh

Quote:

I have only watched 2 or 3 of his videos but he sure comes across as a well spoken, sharing and all around cool dude.
Yes...intelgent , thoughtful, he's really trying to share one of life's secrets.
Old 02-06-2023, 06:50 AM   #4
Rmarsh

Quote:

I went back and watched more of his videos......he has a gift....and I am now a fan.
Its all stuff that I already knew but enjoyed how well he explains things.....I didnt realize you could do a whole video about chalklines that didnt sound corny.
Redlite....ive always instructed my rookie helpers to wrap the line around their fingers and hold on tightly before i pull it to get a straight line......and they still end up getting it pulled away from them before i got it as tight as I want it. After snapping the line I tell them to hold on until i pull tension on the line so it will fly back to me when they let go and land at my feet and not get caught on things on the retrieve.

Never realized all the finer points i've learned but didnt think about.
My mentor still liked his half round piece of chalk he would spin while chalking his line so it wouldnt wear a groove in his chaulk. The one in this picture in bad shape is what he used...mostly on interior work....the awl is pushed through a loop in the line into the mark where the line is to be snapped.

I've seen chuckleheads using red chaulk to snap lines for white cedar shingle courses....which is an abomination. The dye in it stays visible for years.