Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Main Forum » Favorite Threads

Favorite Threads Some of S-B's Favorite Threadsa over the years

Old 12-12-2006, 11:39 PM   #1
Finaddict

Definitely cool ... maybe you should tie a rope to your automobile and repel down the cliff to that rock shelf that is below on the ovens ... then you can cast a spook, pencil popper or whatever

Thanks for sharing, my father has family from Perth ... my grandfather was a dentist for the allied forces in WWII stationed in Europe, he came from the Perth area, and my father has duel citizenship as a result ... never been there, but will have to make it a family retreat ... hope the wife won't mind the search for family members out on steep cliff May have to spend a week, or two, there looking ... just in case one happens to stroll by ... you know ... and then of course, catching fish to feed the family in the process ...

"It was the blackest night! There was no moon in sight! (You know the stars ain't shinnin cause the sky's too tight) "
Finaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 12:21 AM   #2
Tailor marc
Aussie fisherman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finaddict View Post
Definitely cool ... maybe you should tie a rope to your automobile and repel down the cliff to that rock shelf that is below on the ovens ... then you can cast a spook, pencil popper or whatever

Thanks for sharing, my father has family from Perth ... my grandfather was a dentist for the allied forces in WWII stationed in Europe, he came from the Perth area, and my father has duel citizenship as a result ... never been there, but will have to make it a family retreat ... hope the wife won't mind the search for family members out on steep cliff May have to spend a week, or two, there looking ... just in case one happens to stroll by ... you know ... and then of course, catching fish to feed the family in the process ...
Hi Finaddict

Yep Perth is a lovley City and pretty safe and clean. Lots of thinks to do and really nice beaches and wildlife.

Steep point is acually about 13 hours drive north from Perth though.

Its at a place called Shark bay.
Here is a map of the state and a zoomed on map of shark bay

Most western part of Australia
Tailor marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 05:18 AM   #3
Fish_Eye

Tailor and Stax

Awesome, I guess no trip to Australia would be complete without a visit to THE CLIFF. I sense a need for a new DVD "Steep Cliff IS Wild". I see some boats in some of the shots, are the cliffs approachable by boat so that a diver might get some footage of what's going by --- with full respect to the anglers up top?

I believe Michael Folkes did a well-deserved tribute to your extreme form of surf/cliff fishing…the only thing missing was an element of underwater footage showing some of the fantastic pelagic fish that swing by the point.

I’ve been fortunate enough to make it a point to hit the extreme ends of a number of islands including Bermuda, Walker’s Cay, Bimini, Key West, Midway Atoll, Japan, Siberia, but my dive off the cliffs at the southern end of the big island of Hawaii came closest to what you guys are doing. They get plagued by tiger sharks there…are they the predominant shark pest in your area?

I feel a road trip coming on. Very cool website BTW.

Mike

Fish_Eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 06:44 AM   #4
Stax
SteepPoint.com.au

If any members of this forum register on the "Steep Point" forum and get message saying that they can't join please PM me and I'll get it sorted out. Our forum has had a lot of problems with people setting up bogus accounts for spam and advertising.

Fish Eye
Yes I have seen a few divers at the base of the cliffs, not my idea of a good time, but there are some great caves and holes under these cliffs with plenty of Crayfish.
In regards to the common sharks in the area, there are two predominant types.
The Bronze Whalers, huge monsters up to 400lb and the Black Tip Reef Sharks, they are much smaller only 20-40lb. There have been reports of Great Whites and I am sure they have cruiser past on many occasions. It’s the Sailfish and Marlin that can make this place unique as both have been hooked from the cliffs. Not too many Marlins landed though!
As you saw, Tailor Marc caught a beauty sailfish from the rocks. A very hard catch indeed.
When the seas are calm the water can be clear and blue with fantastic visibility letting you see the natural world swim past. Dolphins, Whales, Turtles, Manta Rays, Huge Schools of Narrow banded Mackerel, Tuna fish in plague numbers, 15 feet long Bronze Whaler Sharks (we call these Sharks “Noah’s”) picking off anything that’s a bit too slow,
Garfish (I think that’s what they are called in the US) 5 feet long and weighing in at 8-10lb’s (Long Toms here). The list keeps going on.

Watching a 30-40lb Narrow banded Mackerel that you’ve taken 3 hours to hook getting chased by a monster brown shape and knowing that you’ll lose to these buggers every time. Catching a fish head is common. Mind you it is a sight to see and it’s still worth the watch.

I travel the 1200 mile trip as often as possible, or as often the wife lets me anyway. I feel like I’m home whenever I return to Steep Point. It’s truly a hidden Jewel.

Stax
Stax is offline   Reply With Quote