Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Build Stuff: Custom Plug & Lure Building, Rod Building » Plug Building - Got Wood?

Plug Building - Got Wood? Got Plug?

Old 02-13-2006, 12:28 PM   #1
capesams
Really Old & Really Grumpy

PLUGFEST plug CONTEST

before you read this the wrong way...I have no complaints...just something that popped up in another thread that maybe need's a closer look.The table has been split into what seems to be two different classes.....real working plug's and folk art....folk art in term's of really being not useable and real plug's that can be fished..shouldn't these be two different seperate [contest] table's .I'm seeing it as it's really not fair to those who worked hard to build a true working plug to be put up against something that's a funny shape that doesn't and never would work....hence the two different classes of great work....any thought's?

BOAT fish do count.
capesams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 12:33 PM   #2
DZ

That was my first plugathon but I thought the same. I would have liked to see those plugs in action - need a swim tank. Big Igloo cooler would work.

DZ

DZ
Recreational Surfcaster
"Limit Your Kill - Don't Kill Your Limit"

Bi + Ne = SB 2

If you haven't heard of the Snowstorm Blitz of 1987 - you someday will.
DZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 12:33 PM   #3
Flaptail

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by capesams
before you read this the wrong way...I have no complaints...just something that popped up in another thread that maybe need's a closer look.The table has been split into what seems to be two different classes.....real working plug's and folk art....folk art in term's of really being not useable and real plug's that can be fished..shouldn't these be two different seperate [contest] table's .I'm seeing it as it's really not fair to those who worked hard to build a true working plug to be put up against something that's a funny shape that doesn't and never would work....hence the two different classes of great work....any thought's?
I was going to mention it either but I agree wholeheartedly. Thanks for bringing it forward Steve. I busted my nutz to build a real fish ctaching version of a past classic and gotb trounced by a comical, though well done, chunk of wood shaped like a biten in half pogie. A little disconcerting. How do we know if half of them even swim? Next year two distinct divisions, real plugs and "what the hell is that"?

Why even try.........
Flaptail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 12:35 PM   #4
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

Send a message via AIM to BigFish
I thought the same thing CS but didn't want to ruffle any feathers. I can appreciate the humor in alot of the plugs.....and there should be a category or a different contest for a humorous plug.....but I also think in the future it should be strictly adhered to that they must be fish catchers/working plugs.

All beautiful craftsmanship on that table for sure!

Almost time to get our fish on!!!
BigFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 12:36 PM   #5
Karl F

Well.. yes... I'm loving the folk art the bunker head plug, Awsome, starters, but I know excactly what you mean, I agree. two categories, would probably be better.
The way I read the rules was that is should be an actual "working" type plug, with a unique take on it.
But, like you say, I have no issue with the others, I love them, and there is room for all on the table, and your idea has merit.
Karl F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 12:39 PM   #6
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

I could agree with that. I was kind of thinking the same thing when the bag's started to empty. I knew right away I was out classed, not that I disagree with the outcome by any means I was truely overmatched and outclassed. I did spend some time test swimming mine though. Good food for thought. p.

"A beach is a place where a man can feel he's the only soul in the world that's real"
ProfessorM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 12:55 PM   #7
Diggin Jiggin

My entry is already in my plug bag.
Diggin Jiggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 01:59 PM   #8
Canalman
Calling Jon The Fisherman

Well... I don't know if I do agree although I might be persuaded....

I think you just take it as far as you want to.... and how many of those plugs looked like they actually wouldn't swim?? The head plug, might not swim but it would probably drift like a fish head does right?? The shark would probably swim although perhaps not perfectly... my plug was mean't to be a spook or a glider... I'm not throwing it in the water but I bet I could get it to work. The numbskull valentine to tagger would probably dart like a darter. I think we're taking it a little too far here because next year, if we had 2 categories, we'd need 10 prizes and you'd probably see the same types of plugs... the only way I can see it, but I still think it's splitting hairs is to do a lathe table and a carved table. But I don't think we should separate them... I put 5 hours into my plug and I know some others put comparable ammounts of time into theirs. I think its just what you're willing to put into it. That why they have the most likely to catch a cow category. But I'm rambling as usual, and hopefully this didn't come across as a defensive rant, it wasn't mean't that way. I'd be willing to do it either way, but if we split it up... we should be able to enter both contests?

-Dave

Surf Asylum Lures, Custom Lures for the "Committed"
Official S-B Sponsor
Canalman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 03:31 PM   #9
gone fishin

Two catagories -- I agree. that will allow all to explore their own avenue and do even an better comical or realistic plug for the fest. I thought the rules called for a best example of a plug that you would actually fish.

low & slow 37
gone fishin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 03:38 PM   #10
Canalman

Maybe we will have to go that way... hope Johns ready to shell out 2X the ca$h on prizes

Official S-B Sponsor
Old 02-13-2006, 03:41 PM   #11
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

Dave I figure it is a good way get you off the top of the mountain but you would just probably win both contest's anyway. I really don't care either way I just did it for fun.

"A beach is a place where a man can feel he's the only soul in the world that's real"
ProfessorM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 03:44 PM   #12
fishaholic18
Finally

I thought that's what "Most likely to catch a cow" was for?
I think that if guys are concerned about working plugs winning, they would have voted for them.
Personally, I think all the prizes should be Twinkies...

F-18®
It IsWhat It Is

¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º >¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((( º>
fishaholic18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 04:00 PM   #13
MAC

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishaholic18
Personally, I think all the prizes should be Twinkies...
I agree. That is what we should do next year.
MAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 04:19 PM   #14
Tagger
Hydro Orientated Lures

It was alot of fun .. Surf Hooty is safe from harm ,, all is well ..I want a corn cob plug .. Somethings gotta be said for thinking outside the box.. That corn cob plug stood alone in outside the box catergory .. If they had a Sanford and Son catergory I'd run away with that .. I really don't know what the best fish catcher there would be,, How would you judge that ? guessing game .. If it was bluefish I'd throw my darter.. I say yes to more food prizes !!!!

Belcher Goonfoock (retired)
(dob 4-21-07)
Tagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 04:51 PM   #15
thefishingfreak
"Fishbucket"

it's all good.
i don't think anyone cared about the prizes. although i for one could use the amazon tool supplies the most .
maybey there should be no prizes,,, only plaques, or all sponsor stuff of equal value?
everyone gets the bragging rights for there catogory, and a twinky.
they were all voted on, as the catagories were presented to the voters.

thefishingfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 04:56 PM   #16
Karl F

1)Two Categories
2)Dump the cash prizes

Twinkies Rule!
Karl F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 04:56 PM   #17
thefishingfreak
"Fishbucket"

all equal/no prizes in each catagory would get more people to enter also.
some guys didn't even put there plugs out.

you put a white danny with a pink stripe loaded with grain and dust in the finish and i bet it would win cow catcher..because it would actually get fished.. right..

thefishingfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 05:03 PM   #18
Diggin Jiggin

You guys are going to run into trouble trying to judge what would really take fish. Sometimes looks can be deceiving. Take a needle, a ballerina, a howdy, a pencil popper. They are only going to fish as good as the guy fishing them.

Maybe we should bring some fishing into this. Maybe bring the plugs back a year later, see what last years winners look like after being fished for the year, maybe drool over some pics of fish taken with em. I want to see some of these beauties mangled, stripped of paint and epoxy, covered with tooth scars

If I don't lose mine, I'll bring it back to next years 'fest.
Diggin Jiggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 05:04 PM   #19
Flaptail

Smile

Well, the shark thing... I mean come on, nice work, lots a time but really now? Would you actually be walking the surfline casting that thing to bass and bluefish? Not. We all know what a real plug menat to fish and catch fish is, it wasn't the shark or the Half a pogie. Who cares if they actually get a monetary or gift cert type prize? A plaque would do it or better yet a certificate like John made up is good enough for me. Two divisions, certificates for "artsy stuff" and real plugs each. Only mkes sense and yes lets bring in the cooler full of water to see what swims and what don't. Don't misunderstand me, all the stuff was great/ Iloved the pogie thing and laughed my ass off but it was a different genre of "plug".

Why even try.........
Old 02-13-2006, 05:06 PM   #20
castn4bass
Plug Ho, Wannabe!

my 2 cents

I also felt outclassed as soon as I saw some entries! Man there was some fantastic stuff entered! Some were obvious gags,Most of what I saw was fishable, hopefully guys voted realistically.Weather or not any of them actually get used in the suds or not is another question. I didn't get to stick around for the drawings but I hope whoever won my entry in the raffle uses it for what it was intended for.... to catch fish! Post some pix when that happens!

the most uncommon thing you can possess,.................. is.............. common sense!
castn4bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 05:08 PM   #21
fishaholic18
Finally

I think it makes it more fun with the gag stuff.
Let the voters decide which wins.
I say leave it as is, but more Twinkies.

F-18®
It IsWhat It Is

¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º >¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((( º>
Old 02-13-2006, 05:22 PM   #22
capesams
Really Old & Really Grumpy

traditonal/common/run of the mill/every day user's = swimmer's,popper's,needle fish,darter's etc.

verses

a snake,whale,rabbit,gerble,banna,tree root,tootsie pop,pile of sawdust,snow ball and sticking hook's on it.

there's a big difference between the two that's plain to see even to a newbe.It take's the same amount of time to make both granted, but the two are miles apart....prize's should be simple,,certifacate's all round or a big smooch from the boss.

BOAT fish do count.
capesams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 05:30 PM   #23
castn4bass
Plug Ho, Wannabe!

How about a great big trophy, to be handed down from year to year!!

the most uncommon thing you can possess,.................. is.............. common sense!
castn4bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 05:40 PM   #24
Backbeach Jake

Question

Does anyone else think that the prizes are a bit extravagant? I'm thinking two catagories Fish catchers = Twinkies and Works of Art = Ho-hos. I mean it's all for the site, right? I don't mean to insult anyone's work, it was all freakin' magnificent.

He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself.
Thomas Paine
Backbeach Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 05:42 PM   #25
Canalman

I'm a little hurt... John and I tried really hard to make this thing great and I thought it went really well. I also tried really hard on my plug, I thought the prizes made it even more fun (i'd feel the same way if I didn't get any votes). Remember, this IS SUPPOSED TO BE FUN, lets not analyze this until its not fun anymore like we do to fishing every year on this site. Rest assured that I won't be planning this thing next year so you can all do it the way you want. AND I would throw my plug into a blitz of bass and I think it would take a fish. Sorry it had to come to this and sorry you guys didn't have fun with the contest .

Official S-B Sponsor
Old 02-13-2006, 05:44 PM   #26
Canalman

oh and Bruce helped too

Official S-B Sponsor
Old 02-13-2006, 05:56 PM   #27
fishaholic18
Finally

Classic...Plugfest Flame Wars!

F-18®
It IsWhat It Is

Old 02-13-2006, 06:01 PM   #28
Backbeach Jake

Thumbs up

Please don't take this personal, Canalman. We're just bouncing ideas around. Some good, some notso. For my money, your plug received what it merited-tops. And yes, I believe that it would get slammed. Thankyou for all the hard work not to mention being shackled to that table all day. Ya did better than good.

He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself.
Thomas Paine
Backbeach Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 06:14 PM   #29
Flaptail

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backbeach Jake
Please don't take this personal, Canalman. We're just bouncing ideas around. Some good, some notso. For my money, your plug received what it merited-tops. And yes, I believe that it would get slammed. Thankyou for all the hard work not to mention being shackled to that table all day. Ya did better than good.
Yes indeed Fred I agree totally. And this is not meant to be flame war, just opinions. Canalman, you did a wonderful job and we all appreciate it and yes your plug would get eaten, would be a shame after all the work to see it get messed up, but it would get eaten no doubt. I am sure you can see both sides.

Why even try.........
Old 02-13-2006, 06:28 PM   #30
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

Send a message via AIM to BigFish
Dave...you and Slip did a fantastic job and all was wonderful. Just folks kicking their .02 cents around. I agree with what folks are saying and I could go either way on this.....its all about the fun right? Leave it status quo and give plaques, trophies or certificates is fine with me......its all about the fun, the light hearted competition and y#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&g it up with you guys for an afternoon. Someone said it right when they said folks can and do judge for themselves.....I am good with the way it is.

Almost time to get our fish on!!!
BigFish is offline   Reply With Quote