Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 01-30-2016, 07:50 PM   #1
justplugit
Registered Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckman View Post
And don't forget doing service in the military .
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
I agree Buck, you can get one of the best educations in the world at West Point,
Annapolis and the Air force academy. Won't cost you a dime, just a 4 year
service stint for your country after graduation.
There is always a way if you really want it.

" Choose Life "
Old 01-30-2016, 07:54 PM   #2
Nebe

Quote:
Originally Posted by justplugit View Post
I agree Buck, you can get one of the best educations in the world at West Point,
LOL. As long as you don't consider an education in independent thinking and building a sense of individualism. 😂😂😂😂
Old 01-30-2016, 08:03 PM   #3
justplugit
Registered Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebe View Post
LOL. As long as you don't consider an education in independent thinking and building a sense of individualism. 😂😂😂😂
I have one Niece and 2 Nephews that are working for Fortune 500 companies
since finishing service after Annapolis. We should all be making their salaries
and holding their positions.

" Choose Life "
Old 01-30-2016, 09:24 PM   #4
Nebe

Quote:
I have one Niece and 2 Nephews that are working for Fortune 500 companies
since finishing service after Annapolis. We should all be making their salaries
and holding their positions.
Key words here are "working for".
Old 01-30-2016, 08:35 PM   #5
scottw

Quote:
I've noticed that the more someone declares themselves an "independent thinker" and criticizes those deemed non...the less likely you are to get an independent or original thought out of them...you usually get oft recited talking points and tired platitudes which I guess is somehow better than non-independent thinking or "dependent" thinking?
Old 01-30-2016, 09:24 PM   #6
Nebe

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post
I've noticed that the more someone declares themselves an "independent thinker" and criticizes those deemed non...the less likely you are to get an independent or original thought out of them...you usually get oft recited talking points and tired platitudes which I guess is somehow better than non-independent thinking or "dependent" thinking?
Benghaaazziiiiiiiii
Old 02-01-2016, 09:16 AM   #7
Jim in CT

Quote:
LOL. As long as you don't consider an education in independent thinking and building a sense of individualism. ��������
That is not your best posting there, Nebe. So, so wrong. I'm not saying West Point is the same as Berkley or Wesleyan (because if it were the same, we couldn't win a war against Holland). But they sure aren't churning out robots. Have you ever spoken with anyone who ever graduated from one of the academies? Ever?

When I worked at Travelers, the Humen Resources Department concluded that service academy graduates were the very best candidates for the most intellectually grueling positions.
Old 02-01-2016, 12:34 PM   #8
justplugit
Registered Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
That is not your best posting there, Nebe. So, so wrong. I'm not saying West Point is the same as Berkley or Wesleyan (because if it were the same, we couldn't win a war against Holland). But they sure aren't churning out robots. Have you ever spoken with anyone who ever graduated from one of the academies? Ever?
I have been honored and had the pleasure to have spent a lot of time with
my Niece and Nephews and their many Annapolis friends in private and social events.
These people are very special and share a bond between them that I would
like to have with so many people. All of them served in Afghanistan and Iraq
on the ground and air and many of them extended their service and volunteered extra time in the fighting zones.
These people are respectful, very knowable about what's going on in the world,
and a blast to party with. Closed minds, never. They have great values, true intelligence and a sense of service to others.
Most people couldn't hold a candle to them.

" Choose Life "
Old 02-01-2016, 01:03 PM   #9
Fishpart
Keep The Change

Quote:
I have served with grads from USMA as well as Annapolis and have the pleasure of having a wife who is a USMA grad and a son who is currently at USMA. I am blessed to be exposed to a significant amount of grads and cadets and they are all very independent thinkers. I would put our Service Academy Grads up against ANYONE IN THE WORLD when it comes to looking at a situation independently and choosing the best course of action. As for individualism, these young people make a decision very early in life to set themselves apart from the crowd so they know better than anyone about individualism but understand that success is the result of TEAMWORK.

Are there any other institutions of higher learning out there who's primary mission is to train leaders of character?

“It’s not up to the courts to invent new minorities that get special protections,” Antonin Scalia
Old 02-01-2016, 01:28 PM   #10
justplugit
Registered Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishpart View Post
I have served with grads from USMA as well as Annapolis and have the pleasure of having a wife who is a USMA grad and a son who is currently at USMA. I am blessed to be exposed to a significant amount of grads and cadets and they are all very independent thinkers. I would put our Service Academy Grads up against ANYONE IN THE WORLD when it comes to looking at a situation independently and choosing the best course of action. As for individualism, these young people make a decision very early in life to set themselves apart from the crowd so they know better than anyone about individualism but understand that success is the result of TEAMWORK.

Are there any other institutions of higher learning out there who's primary mission is to train leaders of character?
Great post FP. In thinking about it, having known more than a few "Libertine Thinkers", I have found many of them to be full of themselves, self centered. boring and a lot more closed minded than they think they are.

" Choose Life "
Old 02-03-2016, 11:24 AM   #11
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
Considering a modern ship can project the firepower of multiple older ships I render this talking point lame.
And the opposition modern ship (and aircraft) can project more power (though only ships can persist) but the government is trimming the amount of ships yet conducting more global missions. This is causing periods at sea to go over 8-9-10 months. Is that fair? For .001 percent of the nation to spend 9 months at sea because there are too many missions or not enough ships? Plus the type of ships we have been getting suck, are overpriced, undermanned, and undercapable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIROCKHOUND View Post
EB just reported they will be hiring a ton. Maybe not carriers, but they are still cranking out ships...
Virginia class subs are a 2/year now (though we are seeing more than 2/yr LAs retire)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishpart View Post

I think the Marine Corporal that served a tour in Iraq or Afghanistan is more capable than the Wesleyan grad of independent and critical thinking.

I have seen a few kids out of college recently and a few young adults post military (enlisted or commisioned) and I think, they are far better adjusted and realistic than the My Little Pony crew.

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming:
Old 02-07-2016, 08:41 AM   #12
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnR View Post
And the opposition modern ship (and aircraft) can project more power (though only ships can persist) but the government is trimming the amount of ships yet conducting more global missions. This is causing periods at sea to go over 8-9-10 months. Is that fair? For .001 percent of the nation to spend 9 months at sea because there are too many missions or not enough ships? Plus the type of ships we have been getting suck, are overpriced, undermanned, and undercapable.
You just reinforced point, given the real-world complexities, comparing simple numbers of ships is irrelevant.
Old 01-30-2016, 09:19 PM   #13
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
I think buckman is referring to kids earning college money through enlisting..

Very very VERY few kids are going to get into academies.

I know a kid that was Top 5 in class, national honor society, class president, and an Eagle Scout.......had his recommendation from his senator....still didn't get into the Air Force Academy.....

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
Old 01-31-2016, 02:55 PM   #14
justplugit
Registered Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dad Fisherman View Post

I know a kid that was Top 5 in class, national honor society, class president, and an Eagle Scout.......had his recommendation from his senator....still didn't get into the Air Force Academy.....
That young man will be a great success no matter what because
he has worked very hard to obtain it. Compare his record
to the kids who want A's with D efforts.
Somebody did a good job bringing him up.

" Choose Life "
Old 01-31-2016, 04:04 PM   #15
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
That young man will be a great success no matter what because
he has worked very hard to obtain it. Compare his record
to the kids who want A's with D efforts.
Somebody did a good job bringing him up.
I expect to see him running for office someday. And I'm not just saying......he will be.

....and I would have no problem voting for him

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
Old 01-31-2016, 06:06 PM   #16
justplugit
Registered Grandpa

Quote:
I expect to see him running for office someday. And I'm not just saying......he will be.

....and I would have no problem voting for him
I would too, as long as he kept honoring the Boy Scout Oath.
I wish we had a candidate now who would do just that.

" Choose Life "
Old 02-01-2016, 09:10 AM   #17
Jim in CT

Quote:
I think buckman is referring to kids earning college money through enlisting..

I didn't know they were that competitive? Harder to get into than, say, Holy Cross or Tufts?

I would have thought that since 09/11, applications would be down.