Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Main Forum » Boat Fishing & Boating

Boat Fishing & Boating A new forum at Striped-Bass.com for those fishing from boats and for boating in general

Old 11-02-2021, 12:50 PM   #1
Linesider82

Winterizing & winter Storage

I posted a question in the "October Already" thread about mildew bags, basically carbon bags for hanging in boats to suck the moisture out of compartments during the winter. Was wondering if anyone used them? Probably some spring cleaning regardless...

I saw some great ideas for storage. The shelter logic sheds are great and USA made, but won't work for me with my small yard and already having a shed where I would put one. I do believe there are no permits needed for the shelter logic sheds as they are considered temporary (without foundations), although some towns have new zoning stipulations to size, including the town I live in. Mostly, believe it or not, due to children's play ground sets.

anyhow I am using a cover, purchased thru empire covers, it has a 7 year warrantee and fits my boat well.

I plan to winterize my boat, full fluid change, however not fully stored. I am looking for Jan / Feb super calm days to just get out off block or where-ever and look for Cod, maybe just to say I did it. I do think Jan & Feb this year we will experience much milder temps. So even a local northern pike trip is not out of the question.

I would prefer full on winter, hard freeze, break out the tip ups and keep that gear working til spring but I just have a feeling I'll get more boating opportunities than ice, unless I travel for ice.
Linesider82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 04:13 PM   #2
Guppy
User

The mariner I used past couple yrs for the wrap included one,,,, was full this past spring…. Ummm 1/2 gal. in bag , like the idea
Guppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 08:23 AM   #3
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linesider82 View Post

I plan to winterize my boat, full fluid change, however not fully stored. I am looking for Jan / Feb super calm days to just get out off block or where-ever and look for Cod, maybe just to say I did it. I do think Jan & Feb this year we will experience much milder temps. So even a local northern pike trip is not out of the question.

I would prefer full on winter, hard freeze, break out the tip ups and keep that gear working til spring but I just have a feeling I'll get more boating opportunities than ice, unless I travel for ice.
My initial reaction is; NO WAY. Your boat is not big enough for Jan/February, the water is too cold, and there are not enough other boats operating if you do need assistance. Go find a head boat.

“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed, unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms.” – James Madison.
nightfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 08:37 AM   #4
Rockfish9

Because storage is my issue as well,

I made a "snug "fitted cover from shrink wrap 25 years ago, the first one lasted 22 years before I could no longer patch it...I used tarp hold downs to tie it down, the frame is held together via dove tails.. no screws needed.. main rail is collapsible/folds, secured with a small dead bolt it is 1x6" lumber there are fore and aft supports made from 2x4's that support the main beam, the side ribs are strapping, that slide into place via the dove tail.. I formed the cover around the bow,stern and engine, and shrink it just enough to fit snug, patching is easy with a heat gun and scraps of shrink wrap...

hopefully the picture is right side up.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20211009_164620.jpg (161.6 KB, 24 views)

A good run is better than a bad stand!
Rockfish9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 09:45 AM   #5
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

I had a few of my tie down hem tabs blow out in the noreaster. Just going to use the tie down twine wrapped around a golfball under the cover material to make up new tie down point.

“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed, unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms.” – James Madison.
Old 11-03-2021, 08:09 PM   #6
Linesider82

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightfighter View Post
My initial reaction is; NO WAY. Your boat is not big enough for Jan/February, the water is too cold, and there are not enough other boats operating if you do need assistance. Go find a head boat.
I like hearing that Ross, easy enough to jump on a headboat. Appreciate it.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Old 11-04-2021, 04:27 AM   #7
Guppy
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightfighter View Post
Going today… it’s friggin in the 30’s …… brrrrrrr
Guppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 06:31 AM   #8
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guppy View Post
Going today… it’s friggin in the 30’s …… brrrrrrr
But the water is still "warm" compared to Jan-March

Old 11-04-2021, 09:13 AM   #9
wdmso

I buy those moisture absorbing plastic cup things Job lot sells them a 2 pack for like 4 bucks by spring the are like half filled with water . But I still get some mildew, and I have a vented fitted cover .. when I was parked on just stone or grass the inside was always damp . I had the same area paved last year , that alone cut the dampness inside by 3/4
wdmso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2021, 07:43 PM   #10
SolOmoN

Send a message via Yahoo to SolOmoN
https://transhield-usa.com/industries/marine/

I bought one of these a number of years ago for my old Welcraft walkaround 23' I think I paid $240 for it? It lasted me three seasons. Fit it once, shrink it then remove it in the spring. If you reinstall the supports the way you had it the first time it will come out close to the original install. Nice thing you are not throwing it away like you would with a regular shrink job. I would buy a roll of tape from wherever you buy shrink wrap stuff and you should be good to go. You can vent it if you want, and it's plastic so the snow slides right off.

Or you can do the tarp which is economical but depending on the bride you may be limited to the "look" of it which may be unpleasant.
sol...

SolOmoN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 11:37 AM   #11
Linesider82

I cleaned out my boat but looks like Sunday (although cold might be nice) I did order (3) carbon bags for moisture which should keep the boat dry and some mice deterrent things which reviews swear by... But I'm also not keeping anything in the boat that would be eaten so probably better for my shed. In and around things like the bean bags etc.
Old 11-27-2021, 10:13 AM   #12
afterhours
Afterhours Custom Plugs

First boat in years and didn't get it in till August - short season for me. Today's the day to take everything out of boat and top off tank. Going to add Sta-bil and Yami additive. Thx wdmso for Job Lot moisture absorbing cup idea. Shrink wrapper coming soon.

www.afterhoursplugs.com

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Afterh...428173?created

Instagram - afterhourscustom

Official S-B.com Sponsor

GAMEFISH NOW

"A GAMEFISH (WHICH STRIPED BASS SHOULD BE) IS TOO VALUABLE TO BE CAUGHT ONLY ONCE"...LEE WULFF
afterhours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2021, 10:19 AM   #13
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

Don, google damprid. Hanging bags are same as cups, just a better package IMHO. Wife has them in every closet and storage area, including my basement shop.

FWIW, I have never used or found a need for this in my center console. Cover allows enough air to pass through and I leave hatches and doors open

Old 11-27-2021, 10:50 AM   #14
afterhours
Afterhours Custom Plugs

Hi Ross, going to put them in bilge area, anchor locker, and in console. Good idea leaving all hatches and doors open.

www.afterhoursplugs.com

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Afterh...428173?created

Instagram - afterhourscustom

Official S-B.com Sponsor

GAMEFISH NOW

"A GAMEFISH (WHICH STRIPED BASS SHOULD BE) IS TOO VALUABLE TO BE CAUGHT ONLY ONCE"...LEE WULFF
afterhours is offline   Reply With Quote